Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 02:33 PM

34,619 posts, read 21,595,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Are you insinuating women who take birth control lack personal responsibility?
My wife takes birth control to regulate her endometriosis, and would be left with painful, uncontrolled menstrual bleeding without it. Since the "Catholic" (in name only) hospital for which I work won't cover it through our crappy insurance plan, I pay $60/mo for what would probably be 10% of the cost through another employer. Do you think it's fair we should be unfairly burdened because of some Pope's edict on this medicine?
Does your employer pay for your car insurance or do you?

Do they pay for your gas?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 02:36 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,234,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Does your employer pay for your car insurance or do you?

Do they pay for your gas?

They pay me, I use that money to pay for insurance and gas. So technically yes they pay for for my insurance and gas

Old 06-30-2014, 02:40 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,249 times
What amazes me is the amount of people taking this very limited decision and running with it to create all sorts of absurd scenario's and reach all kinds of unlikely conclusions. The hysteria I've seen in some is beyond belief.

The moral of the story seems to be that the government can openly and admittedly spy on its citizens regardless of guilt, assassinate them with drones, have insane amounts of corruption and fraud in agencies such as the VA, give massive big cash bailouts to private corporations, have politicians favor big money lobbyist's over the people who actually vote for them but don't you dare mess around and expect people to pay for the morning after pill on their own.

THAT is where people truly put their foot down!

Old 06-30-2014, 03:31 PM

10,227 posts, read 6,308,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Why? Who determines this? As long as they are following all applicable laws, what business do you have in telling a private entity how to conduct themselves? If people do not agree with how they are behaving, people will stop shopping there, employees won't want to work there and the whole situation works itself out.

I'm seriously amazed at this "check your religion" at the door mindset that people have. If I want to open a business based on the tenets of Christianity, Orthodox Judaism, Islam or any other religion, what business does the government have to interfere with that? The attitude seems to be that the business owner works for their employees and not the other way around. If I'm going to invest time and money into a business, I should be able to run it any way I please within the current legal framework.
US

TELL your religion so we can choose not to work for you, OR patronize your business. Are you prepared not only to lose employees, but CUSTOMERS as well if you are a "religious" company? DECLARE yourself to the WORLD. Something tells me if you are in PROFITS, you won't do that.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
US

TELL your religion so we can choose not to work for you, OR patronize your business. Are you prepared not only to lose employees, but CUSTOMERS as well if you are a "religious" company? DECLARE yourself to the WORLD. Something tells me if you are in PROFITS, you won't do that.

Who is "us?"

And once again, I don't think Hobby Lobby ever shied away from it being known as a religiously oriented business. They made that pretty obvious.

Chic-Fil-A has certainly never shied away from it. I don't think either of those companies are struggling with their profits though.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:41 PM

253 posts, read 654,825 times
Please, by all means, disclose what religion you practice so one can choose not to work for you.

https://www.aclu.org/secure/your-emp...igious-beliefs

A handy dandy list of some of them.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:45 PM

431 posts, read 599,556 times
Quote:
The old "imposing their values" canard. Hobby Lobby is a Christian-centered company, makes no attempt to disguise it, if you go and work there, you know what the deal is.
Yep. Glad to see their "Christian" values extend to their investments. Of course, when it comes to making money, all bets are off.
Hobby Lobby's Hypocrisy: The Company's Retirement Plan Invests in Contraception Manufacturers | Mother Jones

Old 06-30-2014, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoon75 View Post
Please, by all means, disclose what religion you practice so one can choose not to work for you.

https://www.aclu.org/secure/your-emp...igious-beliefs

A handy dandy list of some of them.

They missed a few such as Tyson Foods, In-N-Out, Forever 21, Interstate Batteries and others.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:47 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,171,642 times
Quote:
Why? Who determines this? As long as they are following all applicable laws, what business do you have in telling a private entity how to conduct themselves? If people do not agree with how they are behaving, people will stop shopping there, employees won't want to work there and the whole situation works itself out.
The real question is, who are they to tell their workforce how to conduct their own lives outside of the workplace?

Most people are oblivious as to how they are behaving. Most people don't care either. We used to chain kids to machines too and, as long as it wasn't their kid, most people didn't care. That's why we have laws barring this sort of behavior. Laissez Faire anything is a complete pipe dream. The whole situation never "works itself out."

Quote:
I'm seriously amazed at this "check your religion" at the door mindset that people have. If I want to open a business based on the tenets of Christianity, Orthodox Judaism, Islam or any other religion, what business does the government have to interfere with that? The attitude seems to be that the business owner works for their employees and not the other way around. If I'm going to invest time and money into a business, I should be able to run it any way I please within the current legal framework.
It doesn't. What it does have is the responsibility to uphold the worker's right to equal and fair treatment. It also has the responsibility to uphold the worker's right to not be beaten over the head with the company's God stick. This is a for-profit business and workplace we are talking about. It's not a church.

Old 06-30-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwibble View Post
Yep. Glad to see their "Christian" values extend to their investments. Of course, when it comes to making money, all bets are off.
Hobby Lobby's Hypocrisy: The Company's Retirement Plan Invests in Contraception Manufacturers | Mother Jones

"Each fund's portfolio consists of at least dozens if not hundreds of different holdings."

/talking point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events