Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 01:05 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRlaura View Post
The saddest thing about the decision is that it WAS 5-4. Should've been a slam dunk 9-0.

Now can anyone tell me why you need insurance to buy a pill???? No, I didn't think so....
You're correct, only it should have been upheld that medical discrimination, for any reason, be disallowed.

Can you tell me any reason why you need insurance to buy antibiotics? I can. And the last time I checked, those also come in pill form.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 01:14 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
I have no idea. Are you looking for a plan that covers them?
No, I don't need them. I'm wondering if that plan covers impants & viagara for men.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:30 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,279,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
No, I don't need them. I'm wondering if that plan covers impants & viagara for men.
Until the ACA, Hobby Lobby's insurance plans covered the very contraceptives they are now so aghast at. And they invest in contraceptive manufacturers. And they don't seem to have any moral compunction about buying the vast majority of their products for resale from a country with a pretty darned high abortion rate (hint: not the US).

Just for giggles (not really), I just checked the paperwork on MY BCP. Without insurance, my generic pill would be $62.99 a month.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:47 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Find me one example of an employee that was blind-sided by Hobby Lobby being a Christian company? They aren't subtle at all about it. They are closed on Sunday's for religious reasons, they regularly hold fundraisers for various churches and are very active in the Christian community.

Looking at their website:

Beyond that, they aren't refusing to provide birth control which they had provided in the past, they would still cover 16 of the 20 ACA required contraception drugs/birth control etc.
This closed on Sundays thing is becoming a meme.

The local daycare center is closed on Sundays.

John Schmoe's law offices--closed on Sundays.

Mahmud's carpet cleaning services-closed on Sundays.

Yom Kippur's Plumbing 4 U-closed on Sundays.

TJ's Barbecue-closed on Sundays.

Helene's Accounting Svcs-closed on Sundays, only open on Saturday's during tax season.

Julie's Designer Fabrics-closed on Sundays.

Tony's Liquor Store-closed on Sundays.

Being closed on Sundays does not necessarily reveal one's religious persuasions. Lots of businesses are closed on Sundays.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:06 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,172,111 times
^^ Name one other big box retailer that is closed on Sunday. Good luck with that, btw.

Hobby Lobby is closed on Sunday due to corporate religious beliefs, period. That is all well and good and, of course, their choice. However, their ability to impose their religious will on their workers who may not share these views needs to stop there.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:09 PM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Some people feel individuals should take some responsibility for themselves while others feel the government needs to oversee everything and we just wait in line for our pellets to be dispensed.
Are you insinuating women who take birth control lack personal responsibility?
My wife takes birth control to regulate her endometriosis, and would be left with painful, uncontrolled menstrual bleeding without it. Since the "Catholic" (in name only) hospital for which I work won't cover it through our crappy insurance plan, I pay $60/mo for what would probably be 10% of the cost through another employer. Do you think it's fair we should be unfairly burdened because of some Pope's edict on this medicine?

Old 06-30-2014, 02:13 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,684,576 times
[quote=Jo48;35452144]Can an employee do whatever they want with their wages?

Sure they can. There's a whole exchange where they can purchase all types of healthcare with their own wages. Ideally an employer should have no bearing on our access to healthcare in the first place.

Last edited by Juram; 06-30-2014 at 02:29 PM..

Old 06-30-2014, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
Are you insinuating women who take birth control lack personal responsibility?
My wife takes birth control to regulate her endometriosis, and would be left with painful, uncontrolled menstrual bleeding without it. Since the "Catholic" (in name only) hospital for which I work won't cover it through our crappy insurance plan, I pay $60/mo for what would probably be 10% of the cost through another employer. Do you think it's fair we should be unfairly burdened because of some Pope's edict on this medicine?

Are you required by law or indentured servitude to remain in that position or do you have the option of looking for a position that will better fulfill your needs as far as healthcare coverage is concerned?

If you're not happy with what your employer is offering you, there's a lot more fish in the sea to chase after.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland_Collector View Post
^^ Name one other big box retailer that is closed on Sunday. Good luck with that, btw.

Hobby Lobby is closed on Sunday due to corporate religious beliefs, period. That is all well and good and, of course, their choice. However, their ability to impose their religious will on their workers who may not share these views needs to stop there.

Why? Who determines this? As long as they are following all applicable laws, what business do you have in telling a private entity how to conduct themselves? If people do not agree with how they are behaving, people will stop shopping there, employees won't want to work there and the whole situation works itself out.

I'm seriously amazed at this "check your religion" at the door mindset that people have. If I want to open a business based on the tenets of Christianity, Orthodox Judaism, Islam or any other religion, what business does the government have to interfere with that? The attitude seems to be that the business owner works for their employees and not the other way around. If I'm going to invest time and money into a business, I should be able to run it any way I please within the current legal framework.

Old 06-30-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjo View Post
Putting aside the "if we had universal healthcare this wouldn't be an issue" argument, I agree with the ruling on principle. In practice, however, I'm afraid that this is just the tip of a very slippery slope. How many companies are we about to see suddenly become religious to exploit this ruling?

What is there to exploit? This decision is very limited and specific and clearly reflects that it is centered around the issue of contraception.

Quote:
This decision concerns only the contraceptive mandate and should not be understood to hold that all insurance coverage mandates dates, e.g., for vaccinations or blood transfusions, must necessarily fall if they conflict with an employer’s religious beliefs. Nor does it provide a shield for employers who might cloak illegal discrimination as a religious practice.

If nothing else I hope this brings us one step closer to severing the employer as healthcare provider relationship we've had in this country for far too long. We're one of a few nations that still uses this outdated and utterly redundant system where we are dependent upon our employers for our healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events