Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:00 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times

Advertisements

SCOTUS ruled today to allow corporations that are comprised of 5 or less owners that hold more than 50% ownership a right to impose their religious values on their employee's.

Justices: Can't make employers cover contraception
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2014, 10:17 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
SCOTUS ruled today to allow corporations that are comprised of 5 or less owners that hold more than 50% ownership a right to impose their religious values on their employee's.

Justices: Can't make employers cover contraception

The old "imposing their values" canard. Hobby Lobby is a Christian-centered company, makes no attempt to disguise it, if you go and work there, you know what the deal is. However nobody is required to attend church services nor read the Bible. I think if someone wants to run a private business based on religious principles, as long as they are not violating any EO laws or otherwise, that is their right to do so. If someone doesn't feel comfortable working in a religious-centered environment, it is their right to work elsewhere.

In this situation, Hobby Lobby more than happy to offer birth control coverage but refused to include the "morning after" pill as part of that coverage. If the employees there want access to RU-486, its available over the counter pretty much everywhere, their employer is not preventing them from taking it, they simply didn't want to be forced to include it in their coverage plans.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:32 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
The old "imposing their values" canard. Hobby Lobby is a Christian-centered company, makes no attempt to disguise it, if you go and work there, you know what the deal is. However nobody is required to attend church services nor read the Bible. I think if someone wants to run a private business based on religious principles, as long as they are not violating any EO laws or otherwise, that is their right to do so. If someone doesn't feel comfortable working in a religious-centered environment, it is their right to work elsewhere.

In this situation, Hobby Lobby more than happy to offer birth control coverage but refused to include the "morning after" pill as part of that coverage. If the employees there want access to RU-486, its available over the counter pretty much everywhere, their employer is not preventing them from taking it, they simply didn't want to be forced to include it in their coverage plans.
So should all private, for profit employers have to disclose their religion now? Hey, boss, what is YOUR religion? Do you also have a right to even ASK THAT?

Second, Plan B is not the same as RU-485? RU-485 is NOT available OTC. It STILL requires a script by a doctor. "Morning After" is just a mega dosage of what is contained in plain birth control pills. If a woman is taking "the Pill" and forgets one or two, what does she do the DAY AFTER? RUN out and get RU-485? lol She takes 2 or 3 pills in one day of her REGULAR BC pill. Oh, Hobby Lobby, how can you KNOW THAT? The "so called" Morning After Pill.

As a former Catholic, I would NEVER work for a Catholic school, but how would I know what the religion of something like Sunny Days Kindergarten is, unless they DISCLOSE that their CEO is a faithful Christian?

My feeling, apart from the obvious, is that a whole lot of female employees are going to get blindsighted when their bosses disclose their religion

Old 06-30-2014, 10:42 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,687,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
My feeling, apart from the obvious, is that a whole lot of female employees are going to get blindsighted when their bosses disclose their religion

Find me one example of an employee that was blind-sided by Hobby Lobby being a Christian company? They aren't subtle at all about it. They are closed on Sunday's for religious reasons, they regularly hold fundraisers for various churches and are very active in the Christian community.

Looking at their website:

Quote:
"At Hobby Lobby, we value our customers and employees and are committed to:
Honoring the Lord in all we do by operating the company in a manner consistent with biblical principles.
Offering our customers exceptional selection and value in the crafts and home decor market.
Serving our employees and their families by establishing a work environment and company policies that build character, strengthen individuals and nurture families.
Providing a return on the owner's investment, sharing the Lord's blessings with our employees, and investing in our community."

Quote:
We believe that it is by God's grace and provision that Hobby Lobby has endured. He has been faithful in the past, and we trust Him for our future.

Beyond that, they aren't refusing to provide birth control which they had provided in the past, they would still cover 16 of the 20 ACA required contraception drugs/birth control etc.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:45 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,120,116 times
RU-486 and The Plan B pill (The Morning After Pill) are different. Plan B will not work if there is an established pregnancy. It must be taken very soon after the failure of the primary birth control method. (Broken condom,etc.) It's much too expensive, and full of side-effects to be used as a primary source of birth control, so people use it when "whoops" happens.

RU-486 is an abortifacient, and must be administered / prescribed by a doctor.

If Hobby Lobby doesn't want to pay for Plan B, then I guess they support unplanned pregnancy.
There is no mention of contraceptives in the New Testament, though such things existed back then. Jesus must have had more important issues to deal with so "The Bible" doesn't really come into this discussion.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:47 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,828,087 times
I agree with the ruling, but don't think that employers, regardless of the size of their workforce, should be required to offer health insurance, period. It's within the purview, and should be at the discretion of the employer, alone, to decide which benefits to offer. That way, employers whose beliefs don't mesh with gub-ment standards, can have it as an option to withdraw that as a benefit.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:52 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
What isn't explained here is that the employer isn't being forced to do anything.

Its the employer's insurance company that has to comply with a minimal mandate set by the ACA. All the employer does is pay the bill (and employees often pay a large share of health insurance costs).

Not only should women be able to take advantage of a full range of birth control options, health insurance costs will be lower in the long run because of a reduction in payments for maternity costs.

One more 5-4 decision by the Supreme Court that is purely driven by ideology. I've got to hand it to this court. They handed down more 5-4 decisions on controversial topics than any Supreme Court in at least the last 70 years. The justices probably are upset about how "partisan" this country has become. They should go look in a mirror. All these 5-4 decisions are a part of the problem.

Old 06-30-2014, 10:54 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
So should all private, for profit employers have to disclose their religion now? Hey, boss, what is YOUR religion? Do you also have a right to even ASK THAT?

Second, Plan B is not the same as RU-485? RU-485 is NOT available OTC. It STILL requires a script by a doctor. "Morning After" is just a mega dosage of what is contained in plain birth control pills. If a woman is taking "the Pill" and forgets one or two, what does she do the DAY AFTER? RUN out and get RU-485? lol She takes 2 or 3 pills in one day of her REGULAR BC pill. Oh, Hobby Lobby, how can you KNOW THAT? The "so called" Morning After Pill.

As a former Catholic, I would NEVER work for a Catholic school, but how would I know what the religion of something like Sunny Days Kindergarten is, unless they DISCLOSE that their CEO is a faithful Christian?

And it will promote the adoption of religion as a cost cutting measure. It also muddies the water between separation of church and state in my opinion. This issue should be a personal choice, but some believe in limited freedoms when it ascribes to their ideals.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:02 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
Find me one example of an employee that was blind-sided by Hobby Lobby being a Christian company? They aren't subtle at all about it. They are closed on Sunday's for religious reasons, they regularly hold fundraisers for various churches and are very active in the Christian community.

Looking at their website:

Beyond that, they aren't refusing to provide birth control which they had provided in the past, they would still cover 16 of the 20 ACA required contraception drugs/birth control etc.
WHO are the religious for profits? How many small business employers are not saying? Read my post about women taking regular BC pills, forgetting to take them, and doubling up on them, which is the same as Morning After Pill. Or do you think that Plan B and RU-485 are exactly the same thing?

Apart from everything else, Hobby Lobby is STUPID. Read the friggen ingredients in both pills.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:13 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,615,505 times
Some people feel individuals should take some responsibility for themselves while others feel the government needs to oversee everything and we just wait in line for our pellets to be dispensed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events