Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2014, 05:03 PM

5,103 posts, read 8,608,438 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up, babies were put in the front seat.

It's a lot harder to forget them there.

Just saying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2014, 05:18 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meemur View Post
When I was growing up, babies were put in the front seat.

It's a lot harder to forget them there.

Just saying.
Here's something I posted in another thread:

[quote=geebabe;]
Can we please put an end to the whole debate of whether the car seat was/is better in the front? I had my baby in the late '70s and his car seat was in the BACK, always. Guess what? I never once forgot him in his car seat which was in the backseat.

The problem is NOT where the car seat is located. The problem IS with inattentive and irresponsible parents and caregivers.

Whatever the reason for the lack of attention and responsibility toward these innocent children, it doesn't have anything to do with the location of the car seat! WAKE UP!!!

Old 07-03-2014, 05:21 PM

32,944 posts, read 3,928,374 times
When she, and everyone else for that matter, drops off another child somewhere (or any other errands) you do NOT leave any other children in the car unattended. PERIOD! So what if it is inconvenient to carry your baby in the building with you....SO, SO WHAT!!!

Old 07-04-2014, 07:50 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
How about if we allow parents to put their child seats in the front again.

Requiring
child seats to be in the back is a lousy idea for several practical reasons, and is has only one hypothetical good reason..

Old 07-04-2014, 07:52 AM

28,666 posts, read 18,784,602 times
[quote=geebabe;35504417]Here's something I posted in another thread:

Quote:
Originally Posted by geebabe;
Can we please put an end to the whole debate of whether the car seat was/is better in the front? I had my baby in the late '70s and his car seat was in the BACK, always. Guess what? I never once forgot him in his car seat which was in the backseat.

The problem is NOT where the car seat is located. The problem IS with inattentive and irresponsible parents and caregivers.

Whatever the reason for the lack of attention and responsibility toward these innocent children, it doesn't have anything to do with the location of the car seat! WAKE UP!!!
I had my first child in the late 70s too, and kept his seat in the front. So you and I cancel each other out.

Old 07-04-2014, 09:51 AM

29,744 posts, read 34,383,370 times
For those who didn't read this Pulitzer Prize winning article when it was posted in the Atlanta father thread, it's worth a read here: Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime? - The Washington Post

People can get on their high horses about how it would never happen to them, but it happens. It happens relatively often, and it happens to the kind of parents who are not otherwise abusive, neglectful, or unloving. It's a fascinating and tragic psychological issue.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:28 AM

983 posts, read 995,187 times
Ok, I am sick of reading about these child in hot car stories. They are very upsetting.
If I ever saw a child locked in a car, windows rolled up, and it's summer, I'm getting the kid out.
The window is going to be smashed, the kid will be brought to the shade, the first by stander calls 911, the second by stander goes for water.

If the parents or police don't like it, hey, better save a life than an innocent child die.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:57 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,010,730 times
I know it would not matter for the true "forgotten child"
but why don't we have a law against leaving a child under
a certain age in the car unattended at all..

Then there is no chance of these parents that run inside a few minutes & forget or
cars being stolen at service stations with the babies inside.

People are going to have to watch parked cars for children more, I know I will..

Old 07-04-2014, 12:43 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I know it would not matter for the true "forgotten child"
but why don't we have a law against leaving a child under
a certain age in the car unattended at all..

Then there is no chance of these parents that run inside a few minutes & forget or
cars being stolen at service stations with the babies inside.

People are going to have to watch parked cars for children more, I know I will..
Another law won't help. They rarely do.

Your last sentence is a better answer.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:52 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,283,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
For those who didn't read this Pulitzer Prize winning article when it was posted in the Atlanta father thread, it's worth a read here: Fatal Distraction: Forgetting a Child in the Backseat of a Car Is a Horrifying Mistake. Is It a Crime? - The Washington Post

People can get on their high horses about how it would never happen to them, but it happens. It happens relatively often, and it happens to the kind of parents who are not otherwise abusive, neglectful, or unloving. It's a fascinating and tragic psychological issue.
Thanks for reposting it. I was reading to the end of this thread to see if anyone else had before I linked it again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events