Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2014, 08:12 PM

16,961 posts, read 17,332,620 times

Advertisements

Maybe, she recently got laid off from a good paying job and qualified for unemployment and food assistance ?

We just don't know the persons financial situation, and I don't think its our business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2014, 08:29 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,387,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Don't encourage him. I'm sure the last thing she needs is a judgmental jerk sticking his nose where it doesn't belong.
i also see it almost daily in grocery stores, but iPhone are really cheap, its not high dollar class no more, it just everybody has iPhone today, no big deal

I have also seen people on stamps driving 60k diesel pickups, but i just figure the job market layoffs

Old 07-04-2014, 11:22 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:

You know nothing of this woman. Get off your moral high horse.
I knew this much. She could not afford to pay for food but could pay for an iPhone. Is there more. On top of that she was trying to buy something that was not allowed. The cashier tried to bypass it but the computer refused. Looks like I DO know a few things about her. She lied about her finances to get the card then tried to abuse it. What more do I need to know? She is spending MY money and I am totally within my rights to question it.

Old 07-04-2014, 11:24 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,261,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
Why didn't you ask her, since you feel it's your business?

And why is this in current events?
Because it happened today?

Old 07-05-2014, 05:49 AM

5,198 posts, read 5,275,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Because it happened today?
LOL

Wow.....

Old 07-05-2014, 05:59 AM

9,317 posts, read 20,995,583 times
Quote:
I knew this much. She could not afford to pay for food but could pay for an iPhone. Is there more. On top of that she was trying to buy something that was not allowed. The cashier tried to bypass it but the computer refused. Looks like I DO know a few things about her. She lied about her finances to get the card then tried to abuse it. What more do I need to know? She is spending MY money and I am totally within my rights to question it.
But again you know nothing about her..

When I was in Pa, I was a FosterParent, The State Paid the FosterBoard fees, and other reimbursement onto a AccessCard. Choice then was AccessCard, or Paper Check (they do EFT to your bank account now also) , but check would take 2-3 weeks to get thru the process, From Paperwork submission, to Check Delivery (Checks were cut every two weeks, then mailed from Harrisburg). When the Social Worker would do the board & other reimbursement to a AccessCard, would take 3 days.

Old 07-05-2014, 06:39 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,269,437 times
Quote:
So many assumptions in this post. How do you know she didn't recently lose her job, AFTER she got the cell phone and went under contract? How do you know she's not a foster parent? How do you know that the phone isn't on her mother's friends and family plan? iPhones aren't expensive anymore. You can get them for free with a two year contract.

Again, you know NOTHING about her.

Old 07-05-2014, 07:22 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,110,790 times
Quote:
So many assumptions in this post. How do you know she didn't recently lose her job, AFTER she got the cell phone and went under contract? How do you know she's not a foster parent? How do you know that the phone isn't on her mother's friends and family plan? iPhones aren't expensive anymore. You can get them for free with a two year contract.

Again, you know NOTHING about her.
A lot of otherwise nice people have been drawn into this frame of mind. More so, recently.
Too many assumptions. Unless you know the person, you don't really know the circumstances.

There will always be people who abuse the system. That's never going to change. Some of them have the title CEO, and some of them will be pissed off that they were bumped on a flight or that they couldn't buy Jack Daniels with a food card.

We have shortages of lots of things in this world. Arseholes is NOT one of them.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:48 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,280,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
A lot of otherwise nice people have been drawn into this frame of mind. More so, recently.
Too many assumptions. Unless you know the person, you don't really know the circumstances.

There will always be people who abuse the system. That's never going to change. Some of them have the title CEO, and some of them will be pissed off that they were bumped on a flight or that they couldn't buy Jack Daniels with a food card.

We have shortages of lots of things in this world. Arseholes is NOT one of them.
Boy, isn't that the truth. A couple of years ago, I had a free iPhone. It was the previous model and was given to me by my sister, since they'd upgraded & weren't using it. I used it on my no-contract cheapie plan from Consumer Cellular. I was carrying a Coach purse, too - that was a hand-me-down from a friend who was decluttering. No money changed hands for either item, but the OP (and many others) would likely have assumed I bought them new and spent tons.

Really, you can never tell just by looking.

Old 07-05-2014, 08:56 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,419,517 times
Quote:
You don't know anything of the kind, for all the reasons other people have stated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events