Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2014, 02:10 PM

624 posts, read 763,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Yeah, because I'm sure you're a guy who takes a cool and objective position on police actions. I'm sure you're a real paragon of integrity there, or, you're just another cop who defends the bull**** of other cops because that's what cops always do, and year by year, abuse video by abuse video, you're all losing the support of the law abiding public no matter what you tell yourselves.

Page 1, Paragraph 4 of the "Book Of Police Misconduct Apologetics"

"When misconduct is caught on tape and is too blatant to be rationalized away, maintain that actions which must have occurred prior to filming are what justifies what is seen on tape".

Consistent as clockwork.
Bravo and welcome to City Data
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2014, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxworthy5 View Post
Kinda like a bunch of cops putting a hundred bullet holes into a car and killing both driver and passenger when the passenger had no control over the situation. Guilty by association I presume.
This recently happened in Cleveland, and I am happy to report, heads have rolled over the incident. One cop stood on the hood of the suspect's car, and fired his gun multiple times through the windshield at the victims. There were 60 cop cars involved in that chase, they were told repeatedly to stand down by their superior (over the radio) but they all ignored the command. All over a car that backfired as it passed a patrol car...

More than 60 police cars joined the chase that reached speeds of more than 125 mph. The chase snaked through Cleveland and ended at an East Cleveland middle school, where police attempted to stop the car, but the car kept heading toward officers, according to the officers' statements.
The officers told investigators that they believed Russell and Williams had weapons. In fact, they did not. But the officers believed that the car's occupants were firing at them.
In total, 13 officers fired their weapons. They told investigators they feared for their lives.
Brelo fired 49 shots at Russell's 1979 Malibu. McGinty said last month that Brelo continued to fire after his fellow officers had stopped.
Within days of the shooting, Brelo told investigators that he feared for his life and the lives of other officers. He said he had never been that afraid in his life.
Donegan had been fired for his role in the shooting. Authorities said he veered off the chase, instead of taking a greater role of action and supervision.
The city announced Thursday that he will be re-instated next month following an arbitration ruling.

Defense attorney says Cleveland cops indicted in deadly chase and shooting are "political footballs;" rips prosecutor, others (slideshow and videos) | cleveland.com

Old 07-07-2014, 02:22 PM

Quote:
That's the problem. An officer never knows what he's dealing with up front. There a a host of reasons why a suspect could be acting in some manner different then what an officer requires. A co-worker of mine was driving home after work and was having a stroke. An officer stopped him and accused him of being drunk after slight weaving on the road. He took him to a local hospital for a blood test. Even after being cleared by the test, the officer arrested him despite the fact that a fellow officer said he might be suffering a medical problem. He served the night in jail instead of a hospital bed. My co-worker never recovered and died about six months later. I don't know if the family ever took action against the arresting officer or not.
How unbelievably horrible. I hope his family sues the sh*t out of that ignorant cop. And what a crappy hospital. Why didn't the ER doctor step up to the plate?

Old 07-07-2014, 02:54 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,546,362 times
I don't care what happen before that tape started rolling, No U.S. citizen deserves to punch in the back of the head 11 times.
None!

Old 07-07-2014, 03:01 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,462,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman619 View Post
I don't care what happen before that tape started rolling, No U.S. citizen deserves to punch in the back of the head 11 times.
None!
you dont even treat a dog that bad and get away with it

Old 07-09-2014, 07:48 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,225,222 times
The law enforcement profession is aimed at and designed to attract power hungry sociopathic control freaks who are cowards....people who have no problem murdering children just as long as they "get to go home at the end of their shift".

Old 07-11-2014, 12:40 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Mileage must vary... the coach at my grade school was a police officer that spent his own money buying uniforms for kids that couldn't afford it.

Several of the parents of kids I went to school with were police officers and the nicest people.

You do have a point about wanting to get home after their shift... it does take a toll to be spit at, cussed at, kicked, shot at, etc as part of the job...

Old 07-11-2014, 09:49 AM

31,033 posts, read 22,070,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
You all have no idea what transpired before the filming began. I'm going to presume the officer's force was necessary until it's proven otherwise.
Didn't know punching a woman in the head was a police tactic when subduing a suspect

Old 07-12-2014, 09:41 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
I agree. Trying to interrupt a law enforcement officer vs two guys fighting are two entirely different things. Regardless of how bad the situation is, you can be charged with interfering. The man who "helped" the cop was another cop. Video is about the best one can do under the circumstances. Some of these cops are just not capable of restraining themselves. They shouldn't be cops.

Sorry, but not quite true. You don't have to physically get involved.

In this incident there were a few cars on the on ramp getting onto the freeway who saw this, if just one person had stopped their car and rolled down the window or better yet opened their door and got out(without going over) and said "what's going on here" or "what did she do", the could have been enough for the cop giving repeated blows to the head to stop.

Now he knows he has an audience.

Also when one person takes some action, others usually follow.

I couldn't stand there and just film something like Daniel Diaz did and then go on camera later being all outraged. I can't help but think did he just film it knowing he would get his 15 minutes?

He could have filmed it and said something as well. The cop didn't know he was being filmed, had he known this and at least one person spoke up(again without actually going over) I would be willing to bet the cop would have stopped giving her blows to the head.

The cop was so "caught up" in the moment he was oblivious to what was going on around him(another reason this guy shouldn't be in LE), one person speaking and shouting out "what's going on here", very well could have been enough to at least get him from hitting her in the head.

Old 07-12-2014, 09:49 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,634,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Mileage must vary... the coach at my grade school was a police officer that spent his own money buying uniforms for kids that couldn't afford it.

Several of the parents of kids I went to school with were police officers and the nicest people.

You do have a point about wanting to get home after their shift... it does take a toll to be spit at, cussed at, kicked, shot at, etc as part of the job...

That's wonderful. But so what? There are good doctors, and there are awful doctors. There are good teachers, and there are ones who shouldn't be dealing with kids.

This guy needs to be let go. He has no business being a cop.

BTW, the head of the CHP has now come out(how refreshing for a change) and is both shocked and concerned about what transpired. Remains to be seen what action will be taken but at least he isn't doing the usual song and dance that you normally see when cops screw up.

This "officer" has only been on the job a year and a half, he is not some 20yr veteran. They picked a loose cannon, he needs to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events