U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 02:52 PM

2,379 posts, read 4,359,206 times

Advertisements

I've read that Detroit's population has been declining since 1950. Wasn't there a better period when the car industry was strong, like the early 70s? Why was it declining even back then?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2014, 02:58 PM

2,783 posts, read 6,397,376 times
The riots back in the mid-60's help start the decline. I know our family high-tailed it out of Detroit around 1972, few years later our old neighborhood was unrecognizable.

Old 07-06-2014, 03:12 PM

3,445 posts, read 4,841,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I've read that Detroit's population has been declining since 1950. Wasn't there a better period when the car industry was strong, like the early 70s? Why was it declining even back then?
I wouldnt say that the car industry was strong in the early 70s. That was the time when American car makers didnt car about quality. They assumed we would just buy another car when their lemons couldnt take to the road anymore.

Their assumptions were blown away when the first gas crisis occured and americans started buying those fuel efficient and quality japanese cars.

Detroit is no longer a viable city...its just another rust belt town.

Old 07-07-2014, 07:50 AM

287 posts, read 382,339 times
From what I understand, Detroit's decline can't be blamed on just one or two things; there's been a few things, including racial tension and poor leadership, that's contributed to the decline. NYT did a good piece last year on what's been going on: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2...line.html?_r=0

Old 07-07-2014, 08:04 AM

5,586 posts, read 4,803,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
Lots of UAW workers moved to the suburbs starting in the 50's. It is similar to steel towns. The mills were going at record levels but the employees were leaving the cities. Metro population may be a better measure.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:46 AM

4,576 posts, read 9,105,780 times
What I find amazing is those who want to blame the workers for quality, and or profits. What about the management at these companies? As a former construction supervisor when mistakes were made I always took responsibility and thought about what I could have done better. Currently both Union and non union companies have shifted America's manufacturing to foreign countries in search of cost cutting cheaper labor. How can this shift be considered the American worker, and or unions fault that people in other countries will work for a fraction of our minimum wage? How can a worker in an Alabama Nissan plant making $9 that qualifies for food stamps, and subsidized healthcare be better than a UAW member who can provide for a family, and send their kids to college?

Mitt Romney wrote an op ed piece in the NYT which said the American worker needs to work for the same wages as the Chinese. Is this truly the answer for what ails the American working class? Detroit's decline is no different that any other city who's lost population in America once the industry that made it great moves away. No different the gold town boom towns here in Nevada, and California, or some of the oil booms in the mid West. The real problems are the people who chose to use others misfortunes as a political tool to gain an agenda.

Old 07-07-2014, 08:56 AM

534 posts, read 672,291 times
Default EXCELLANT post!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
What I find amazing is those who want to blame the workers for quality, and or profits. What about the management at these companies? As a former construction supervisor when mistakes were made I always took responsibility and thought about what I could have done better. Currently both Union and non union companies have shifted America's manufacturing to foreign countries in search of cost cutting cheaper labor. How can this shift be considered the American worker, and or unions fault that people in other countries will work for a fraction of our minimum wage? How can a worker in an Alabama Nissan plant making $9 that qualifies for food stamps, and subsidized healthcare be better than a UAW member who can provide for a family, and send their kids to college?

Mitt Romney wrote an op ed piece in the NYT which said the American worker needs to work for the same wages as the Chinese. Is this truly the answer for what ails the American working class? Detroit's decline is no different that any other city who's lost population in America once the industry that made it great moves away. No different the gold town boom towns here in Nevada, and California, or some of the oil booms in the mid West. The real problems are the people who chose to use others misfortunes as a political tool to gain an agenda.
Let Mr. Mitt "Harvest companies (peoples jobs) Romney live the life of an ordinary worker and hear a candidate for national office say work for lower wages.

Deploy the pitchforks! Let's Roll!

Old 07-07-2014, 09:00 AM

24,843 posts, read 31,300,907 times
Quote:

Can you post a link with that statement from Romney???

Old 07-07-2014, 09:06 AM

7,778 posts, read 9,634,913 times
Quote:

And our trusted leaders allowed all these things to happen. It goes back decades when making agreements with other nations included giving those nations benefits that took benefits away from our own workers. Some of it was subtle and went unnoticed, but gradually, over the years, it has taken a toll and nothing has been done to stop the flow of outsourcing to other countries. Some of our leaders have lined their pockets and voters don't seem to care. I would need to see the op ed piece in the NYT where Romney wrote that. It doesn't sound like something he would say. Our leaders have lifted up so many other countries which was little benefit to their own country, but it surely did make them cozy with the leaders in those other countries and they get to pose with big grins on all the faces while they all shake hands to seal the deal. Isn't it wonderful we've made China a huge force to reckon with?

Old 07-07-2014, 09:12 AM

5,816 posts, read 9,796,373 times
Suddenly with the Peak Oil, Peak Water, Peak Everything debate looming, I have a question : why is a city like Detroit, geographically located in the heart of the country close to waterways, rivers, rich agricultural plains, declining, whereas a kind of spaceship built in the desert in the middle of nowhere is flourishing? it seems to me there is something very wrong here in terms of resource allocation and overall sustainability. Blue skies certainly can't be the only answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or