Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,233,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
Well, I like to travel with my wife and we've gone to several cities and countries. When I'm talking to a local and tell them I'm from Cleveland, their reaction is usually surprised, but in a good way. I've heard things like "Cleveland? Wow you must be rich!" and "I've been to Cleveland a few times, and that place is amazing!" and even "I would pay all the money in the world to go to Cleveland!"

Cleveland seems to be most favored in San Diego, New York and The Dominican Republic.
Now I'm really laughing. There's no way this is true.

Or they were pulling your leg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 07:45 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,931,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Sorry, but I hear about those other cities FAR more than I hear about Cleveland. Prior to getting the convention, I think the last I heard of Cleveland was related to the Ariel Castro situation.

You started this thread to ask us how Cleveland is perceived elsewhere, but now you're telling me how it's perceived? I would think that someone living IN Cleveland wouldn't be in the best position to have an objective view of the outside perception.

Why not? Instead of believing all of the negative crap from the national media, and folks who have never been here, why not ask the folks who actually live in the region?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Why not? Instead of believing all of the negative crap from the national media, and folks who have never been here, why not ask the folks who actually live in the region?
If the question is how people outside Cleveland perceive the city, then the best people to answer that objectively would be the people who actually live outside the city.

Old 07-10-2014, 10:28 AM

2,794 posts, read 2,919,385 times
CLEVELAND ROCKS! CLEVELAND ROCKS!

Last edited by psurangers11; 07-10-2014 at 10:38 AM..

Old 07-10-2014, 12:51 PM

1,522 posts, read 2,988,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
Cleveland has been called "Little Hollywood" because of all the movies that have been/are going to be filmed there.
As a fellow Northeast Ohioan I appreciate your enthusiasm for Cleveland (and Solon!). But come on, nobody calls Cleveland "Little Hollywood". I live here and no one says that. Yes, due to changes in tax policies we've had some large productions filmed here over the last 10 years or so, but so have a lot of other places. Detroit... Vancouver... Toronto...

I also am not sure what the point of asking people's opinions of Cleveland and then attempting to rebut people who don't have opinions you like.

Cleveland and metro, for the most part, has a lot of great attributes. Low cost of living, world class healthcare, world class symphony, museums, and arts, a host of professional sports teams (we'll not get into records), heavy and light rail public transportation, a great lakefront with fantastic Lake beaches, some of the highest ranked library systems in the country, a basket full of excellent public school systems, one of the best amusement parks in the country, on and on.

But hey, we're a mid-sized metro of 3 or 4 million people (depending on how you count it). There's a lot of competition across the country. Working on a being a great mid-sized metro is the way to go. Being Little this or Little that doesn't really do anything. Be Cleveland.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquareBetterThanAll View Post
As a fellow Northeast Ohioan I appreciate your enthusiasm for Cleveland (and Solon!). But come on, nobody calls Cleveland "Little Hollywood". I live here and no one says that. Yes, due to changes in tax policies we've had some large productions filmed here over the last 10 years or so, but so have a lot of other places. Detroit... Vancouver... Toronto...

I also am not sure what the point of asking people's opinions of Cleveland and then attempting to rebut people who don't have opinions you like.

Cleveland and metro, for the most part, has a lot of great attributes. Low cost of living, world class healthcare, world class symphony, museums, and arts, a host of professional sports teams (we'll not get into records), heavy and light rail public transportation, a great lakefront with fantastic Lake beaches, some of the highest ranked library systems in the country, a basket full of excellent public school systems, one of the best amusement parks in the country, on and on.

But hey, we're a mid-sized metro of 3 or 4 million people (depending on how you count it). There's a lot of competition across the country. Working on a being a great mid-sized metro is the way to go. Being Little this or Little that doesn't really do anything. Be Cleveland.

Very good points. Especially the bolded. As to depending on how it's counted, I always was boggled by the large area that they consider metro Atlanta which is about 4.5 million people. Yet they don't count all of the 16 county area of northeast Ohio that is about the same size and the same amount of people. Yet a lot of those counties are counted in the Cleveland tv market.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:35 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,797,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Very good points. Especially the bolded. As to depending on how it's counted, I always was boggled by the large area that they consider metro Atlanta which is about 4.5 million people. Yet they don't count all of the 16 county area of northeast Ohio that is about the same size and the same amount of people. Yet a lot of those counties are counted in the Cleveland tv market.
The population of Metro Atlanta is 5.5 million, but who's counting? Also, MSA / CSA vs TV market is two completely different things. Savannah is the 92nd largest TV market in the nation, right between El Paso and Baton Rouge, which both have much larger MSA populations.

As to the "New Hollywood" comments, a lot of people say the same thing about Atlanta, and deservedly so. But the people down here cringe at the comparisons as well. It's hokey.

What TV shows are being shot in metro Atlanta as of March 2014? | Radio and TV Talk

Atlanta TV Production Peachy As Los Angeles Loses Greater Share Of TV Pilots

Newsroom | Georgia Department of Economic Development

Old 07-10-2014, 01:35 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,388,329 times
Default How do people from different cities look at Cleveland?

I've never spent any time in Cleveland, just passing through the airport or driving through on I-90. Seems like another big rust belt city. Kinda like Buffalo, P-burg, Columbus, Indianapolis, etc.

Not bad places, just not my cup of tea. I like my winters Texas-style.

Old 07-10-2014, 01:48 PM

LOTS of states offer various incentives for film/TV productions (Movie production incentives in the United States). Then without fail, after they can claim a couple productions, they try to say they're the "New Hollywood" or "Little Hollywood."

They aren't.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
I've never spent any time in Cleveland, just passing through the airport or driving through on I-90. Seems like another big rust belt city. Kinda like Buffalo, P-burg, Columbus, Indianapolis, etc.

Not bad places, just not my cup of tea. I like my winters Texas-style.

Trust me. I've lived in the Cleveland area all of my life, and I can't stand the winter. However; when spring comes, it's awesome watching everything come to life and into bloom... and summer....good times. We still get hot 90 degree plus days, but we tend to get breaks too. It's around 78 degrees right now. I don't mind the heat really, but it is nice when we get a break from it from time to time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events