U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2014, 01:52 PM

29,805 posts, read 15,203,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
What fence is in place NOW was once said to be impractical and ineffective. Have you noticed there are no trespassing in California?
Can't say I have.
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 03:12 PM

291 posts, read 294,344 times
So... I guess what I'm wondering is, what did you think was there?

There is absolutely no way that any country in the world much larger than the Vatican can have a physical presence along the entirety of its borders, much less the US which is relatively large.

Even the former Soviet Union only had snipers and checkpoints at certain spots where they knew there were a lot of illegal crossings, and most of the checkpoints were inside the country, and like in Arizona, it was primarily random or full population stops with racial profiling.

Even at the North/South Korea divide, there are places that are temporarily unpatrolled, and it's only 150 miles across and it's the most heavily militarized area in the entire world.

You can build and build and build and shoot and shoot and shoot but people will get through.

We see this again and again from the Berlin Wall to the rest of the Iron Curtain to South African Townships. I don't care how fascist you want to get to keep Mexicans out: it won't work.

The question is not whether you can make an impermeable border. There are no impermeable borders as far as life is concerned (human and otherwise).

The question is how to deal with people as people, and not as instruments of your political fantasies.

Last edited by MmeZeeZee; 07-10-2014 at 03:28 PM.. Reason: much -> much less

Old 07-10-2014, 03:20 PM

9,481 posts, read 14,283,094 times
There is a piece of America 100 miles in from all of our borders called the "International Zone of Cooperation". In Maine, only about 2% of our state is more than 100 miles from the border. You see, the ocean is also a border. The Border Patrol and ICE have free reign in Maine.

Old 07-10-2014, 03:35 PM

11,015 posts, read 6,565,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainNJ View Post
people wont try to cross if you shoot at them.
There are plenty of people who would still take that risk if it meant they could possibly have a better life. I'm sure most of them are expecting to get shot at while trying to cross the border, but they still do it anyway.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:31 PM

17,481 posts, read 18,634,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
You do realize there's a fence across the entire California border?

Mexico

Also, the flow across the border has slow since the 08 recession.
I wouldn't say the fence east of Calexico, CA would stop anyone.

Southern US Border Barrier

Old 07-10-2014, 04:45 PM

4,576 posts, read 9,073,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
I wouldn't say the fence east of Calexico, CA would stop anyone.

Southern US Border Barrier
It's my understanding that the Secure Fence Act of 2006 built a substantial fence the length of California, and into the mountains of Arizona. This caused a shift of migration through the AZ mountains.

Mexico

They also have found tunnels under these fences.

Old 07-10-2014, 07:22 PM

13,633 posts, read 8,654,691 times
It is one thing to mine the border, it is another to have busses idling waiting for the flock to cross the border so they can ship them around. Imagine when the word gets back home that they FLEW us to California on a jetliner. Coyotes must be naming their price now.

Old 07-11-2014, 03:03 PM

22,669 posts, read 28,551,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
There are plenty of people who would still take that risk if it meant they could possibly have a better life. I'm sure most of them are expecting to get shot at while trying to cross the border, but they still do it anyway.

no, there are not plenty of people that will cross the border if they were going to be shot at. there are some, but the number of crossers will be cut down to miniscule amounts compared to today.

and the reality is that you dont actually shoot people. once the real threat is there, they stop trying.

Old 07-13-2014, 02:53 PM

19,356 posts, read 13,010,410 times
The Border Patrol has had a presence throughout the Intermountain West for many decades. Their duties don't end at the borders at all.
I'm sure the BP has units in every state in the nation now, as illegal immigrants from many different countries have entered the U.S. for a very long time. I once knew one who came from Ireland. He was eventually caught and sent home. A girl I know once had a boyfriend from Trinidad who was also sent home. While there are many Mexicans, there are also many from just about anywhere on the planet as well, and we need to remember this.

Old 07-13-2014, 05:37 PM

30,384 posts, read 9,081,069 times
Hey, I knew they weren't on the border--they're busy buying diapers for the babies and ordering tens of thousands of pairs of size XL-6X underwear for the bearded "children."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or