Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:34 PM

17,563 posts, read 15,226,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
Similarly, there's American Apparel's social media post using the Challenger explosion as a July Fourth image: American Apparel's Epic July 4th Fail - Business Insider
Wow.. I didn't hear about that one.

That image.. Immediately I would know what that was.. I think any of us of age to remember Challenger when it happened would immediately recognize that. Many were watching it on TV in school.. I was actually at home as we were on a teacher workday.. I think watching TPIR when the news cut-in happened.

I consider myself a history buff(More Civil War than WWII, but..).. The walmart image would have gone right past me. I wouldn't have picked up on it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2014, 11:51 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,913,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Most wal mart employees would not know, however "Arbeit Macht Frei" was also on the gate going into Auschwitz in Poland. A lot of people who can't speak German know the phrase is connected to the holocaust.
A lot more people don't know the phrase is connected to the holocaust, don't know what the holocaust is, don't know how many states are in the United States (President Obama said 57), don't know how to make change for a $20 when they're a cashier and making change is their only job.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:44 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Consider most people reviewing these things are going to be marketing majors or something similar.

That's not exactly a group of professionals with a keen interest in WW2 due to age, gender etc.

That phrase is obscure enough that I would not expect most younger people to know what it means or was connected to.

Old 07-11-2014, 06:45 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
What is the difference between this and a "Che" t-shirt?
Che was small change compared to the murder of 12 million people.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:22 AM

78,329 posts, read 60,527,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Che was small change compared to the murder of 12 million people.
Che's lack of success is duley noted.

People focus sometimes too much on what Che and Castro etc. were fighting against and get all starry eyed and don't see that they are merely replacing the farmer with the pigs.

Imagine what a crap-hole our country would be this day if we had kicked out the British and then George Washington rounded up the signers of the declaration and executed or deported most of them?

Viva la revolucion!

Old 07-11-2014, 07:23 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
What is the difference between this and a "Che" t-shirt?
More deaths (to the magnitude of tens of millions) perpetrated by the communists. Sure, the communists didn't put people into industrialized killing camps, but they did send a lot to the gulags (where they died), executed a lot, created several famines as a result of their policies, etc.

Old 07-11-2014, 07:53 AM

790 posts, read 1,267,656 times
Commies former and current have killed more people than any nazi. IMO the nazis were trying to preserve their race from the communists, as we can see in 2014 white genocide is alive and well.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:14 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woxyroxme View Post
Most wal mart employees would not know, however "Arbeit Macht Frei" was also on the gate going into Auschwitz in Poland. A lot of people who can't speak German know the phrase is connected to the holocaust.
Again, the poster was not sold in Wal-Mart stores or even by Wal-Mart itself.

But I think the 3rd party who sold it on their website knew what it meant. I do, probably because I was born in 1960 and WWII and the Holocaust were still very heavily concentrated on in History class as well as in popular culture into the 1970's and later.

Still, part of me wonders what the big deal is. It's a stark black and white photo of the gate with its bitterly ironic inscription, not piles of corpses. On second thought, I think I know. The fact that I know the context makes it seem OK to me, but the photo being sold without context is the problem.

Old 07-11-2014, 08:43 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The b8nk View Post
Commies former and current have killed more people than any nazi. IMO the nazis were trying to preserve their race from the communists, as we can see in 2014 white genocide is alive and well.
Oh, well in that case I'm sure all the jews that were murdered can rest easy now, the nazi's were just trying to preserve their race! Don't take it so personal!

Old 07-11-2014, 08:47 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,171,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Why don't you tell us?
Nothing. Both glorify atrocities against people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events