Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 06:12 AM

4,927 posts, read 5,314,290 times

Advertisements

to either position on the topic, an article with documented references. Personally, I have two nephews (brothers) both top graduates (2013) of UCLA, one has finally obtained employment and the other is still looking and applying.

H-1B high-tech worker job displacement

The total number of displaced American workers is close to half a million; today, 80 percent of the top ten companies using H-1B visas are Indian outsourcing companies who maintain their H-1B workers outside of the US.

The US produces enough STEM graduates to meet industry demands for high-tech workers, yet many highly qualified STEM students realize the potential for H-1B offshoring and turn away from high-tech careers.[SIZE=2]2[/SIZE]Indeed, the Department of Labor's 2006 Strategic Plan stated that "H-1B workers may be hired even when a qualified U.S. worker wants the job, and a U.S. worker can be displaced from the job in favor of the foreign worker."

Yet industry has found that blatantly repeating the big lie about high-tech worker shortages gains traction with Congress, who willingly allow them to use cheap, foreign, H-1B workers at the expense of American tech workers.

H-1B high-tech worker job displacement | colorado immigration law resources reference

Tech Demands More H-1B Visas As Critics Cry Foul

Tech Demands More H-1B Visas As Critics Cry Foul - NBC News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2014, 08:04 AM

2,752 posts, read 2,585,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juram View Post
This. If people stopped arguing solely for ideological reasons, theyd realize that the corporate class is trying to screw us all over.

The scam about H-1B workers and desperately needing foreign workers is the worst. We have millions of American workers struggling to get jobs, we have plenty of graduates in STEM field but they dont come as cheap as H-1B workers and because they are citizens, companies cant hang deportation over their heads to keep them in line.

Companies have already been caught advertising for jobs in America overseas without giving any American workers a shot at them in violation of existing rules. Companies want to do business in the U.S, take advantage of taxpayer incentives for new facilities, have full access to the American market but hiring American workers at a fair wage...not so much.

In short this is about reducing general wages in the U.S. at the demand of our corporate overlords.
They are only doing the jobs Americans don't want to do anymore.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:57 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
but Indians are better educated in mathematics and sciences than most Americans.

Where are those Indian fighter jets, commercial jetliners, stealth submarines, iPhones, iPads, supercomputers,etc. etc. When is this supposed superiority in math ever gonna produce anything? Name one Indian $0.99 iPhone app. Can they write that? A graduate of a US university (which may be Indian for all I care) is a far better fit to a US company. As for politics of it, Adelson proves that Republicans are just as complicit in this. Very soon we will see a titanic realignment in this country. Big business will join big labor and go with Democrats. Just look how many big businesses got in in bed with Obama over Obamacare. Walmart and Costco is singing the tune too.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:58 AM

51,652 posts, read 25,813,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post
i wish this would be given more weight in arguments about immigration. i am actually FOR immigration but then you realize, "there is alot of exploitation going on here that suits the corporate overlords JUST FINE". and it gets stickier.

i remember seeing a film, "food inc" i believe, that talked about a pork producer in north carolina, i believe, that only hires illegals, and then has them periodically busted and deported. they never have to pay them a fair wage, benefits etc and when they start complaining, ship em off. I don't see how ANYONE can be behind that, cheap labor hurts us ALL.
Meat packing plants are notorious for hiring undocumented workers and treating them poorly. Landscaping, construction, farming... the same.

Don't even get me started on maids, nannies, housekeepers, gardeners...

None of this is news to any of us.

Many nations such as Australia, Canada, etc. insist that immigrants have skills that are in demand and money in the bank before they can move there. My understanding is that there are penalties for employers who hire workers without a legal status.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:15 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,247,950 times
Default What is it with millionaires wanting immigration "reform"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Just yesterday it was in the news that Gates, Buffett and Adelson have teamed up to force Congress to ac on immigration reform. Two of them are Obama donors and the third is a Republican of sort. Of all the things a business has to worry about why is immigration any of their business? If they want a workforce there a lot of people looking for a job.
Just two words - cheap labor.

Its good for the corporations. Its good for the stockholders.

Old 07-13-2014, 07:10 PM

3,930 posts, read 6,443,856 times
In Texas, construction, except in high-rise where steelworkers unions, etc are involved, Mexican illegals dominate, be it road, homes, etc.

Mexican illegals moved to New Orleans after Katrina for reconstruction jobs, now constitute a significant portion of the population, and have pushed African Americans out of jobs

Old 07-13-2014, 09:03 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,210,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
After all the good quality computer scientists are hired, you have low quality graduates from within the US (UMD, PSU, Devry, etc.)
I called you on this one on another forum. The University of Maryland (UMD) is a top 20 school for Computer Science, ranked on par with Columbia and just above Harvard. Devry does not offer a Computer Science degree.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:16 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Where are those Indian fighter jets, commercial jetliners, stealth submarines, iPhones, iPads, supercomputers,etc. etc. When is this supposed superiority in math ever gonna produce anything? Name one Indian $0.99 iPhone app. Can they write that? A graduate of a US university (which may be Indian for all I care) is a far better fit to a US company. As for politics of it, Adelson proves that Republicans are just as complicit in this. Very soon we will see a titanic realignment in this country. Big business will join big labor and go with Democrats. Just look how many big businesses got in in bed with Obama over Obamacare. Walmart and Costco is singing the tune too.
well, math and science are slipping HUGELY in america- i think america is 13th among industrialized nations. when i started getting my engineering degree i kept hearing from all my teachers, many whom are former engineers themselves, "WE NEED YOU. WE NEED YOUNG FACES". i think this is a big part of why america can't really compete. between that and the terrible decisions of General Motors in deciding bigger was better, and the corporate interests who decided they simply had to get richer, we are in a terrible place.

my problem is that the blame gets placed on undocumented illegals (which means, usually, mexicans and other central american folk) instead of where it should lie. I have always said- if my kids were starving and my town was overrun by the cartels my happy azz would jump to the border so quick you wouldn't even see me. this whole "BUT ITS AGAINST THE LAW" thing- like MLK said, many terrible things have been perpetrated in the name of the law. the holocaust was legal, jim crow was legal. the Law doesn't really move me too much in terms of something i am beholden to guide my ship by. people confuse law with morality. sometimes to break the law is a moral imperative.

Old 07-13-2014, 11:21 PM

1,881 posts, read 3,352,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
In Texas, construction, except in high-rise where steelworkers unions, etc are involved, Mexican illegals dominate, be it road, homes, etc.

Mexican illegals moved to New Orleans after Katrina for reconstruction jobs, now constitute a significant portion of the population, and have pushed African Americans out of jobs
i lived in the south when Katrina happened and I can tell you from many people I spoke with- alot of them NEVER wanted to go back. or they had nothing at all to go back to, and no insurance.

and the blame must be placed on those who hired em. i knew all kinds of racist rednecks in GA who were vehemently anti-mexican- and some of these guys were contractors. Guess who they hired? that's right. funny how these terrible illegals still manage to find jobs from the very people who like to complain about em. Where is the change supposed to happen?

I remember seeing a news report one day out of Tennessee. They showed a Latino male up close and said, "is this man stealing your job?" they then reported on the fact that many carpet mills in Dalton were "overran" by illegals. Think they stopped to talk to the HR folk or anyone who had anything to do with the hiring? Nope. They focused on the dudes who just wanted to work. HE is the enemy. How convenient for those who continuously make money on the backs of those with no real power nor any real choice.

Old 07-14-2014, 12:11 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nighthouse66 View Post

my problem is that the blame gets placed on undocumented illegals (which means, usually, mexicans and other central american folk) instead of where it should lie.
Wrong thread. We are not talking about illegal immigration here. There are plenty of threads elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events