Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2014, 06:54 PM

6,822 posts, read 6,631,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
Its sad really....its kind of the same line of thinking as those who are "dollar smart, penny foolish"...sometimes the most seemingly obvious answer isnt the right one. This is one of those problems where its better to address it head-on than pretend it doesn't exist.

Studies have proven over and over again that abstinence-only education doesn't work. Its always better to empower our teens with knowledge and resources so they can control their reproductive choices.

Just another example of cognitive dissonance from the religious right.
Or just do what the Bible says and teach one's children in the ways of God and they will not depart from them (Bible paraphrase). The answer is not religion, it is God.

This young girl now will suffer as we all do from the sin (missing the mark) in our lives. If we just did what God said, life would go much better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2014, 07:01 PM

641 posts, read 240,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 30to66at55 View Post
She should now have the Liberal Right of Passage ..a real abortion....something to truly be proud of at the local womans hot yoga class.
I am appalled every time I hear how non liberal minded people preach that liberals love abortions. We don't want there to have to be any abortions. We want accurate sex ed, safe and affordable access to birth control, and for there never to be a pregnancy that threatens the life of the mother, or baby. Access to early prenantal care also helps prevent the need for a termination. If an abortion does take place, we want it to be done by professionals, in a safe and medically sterile way. Too many women died from dirty non professional clothes hanger style abortions in the back allies. Would any parent want their child to die this way because their child was too afraid to tell them they were pregnant and felt they have to end it or risk bringing wrath and shame to their family. Not every parent/child relationship is close and loving. So please stop w/the comments you make about liberals and abortion, as you are so off base on this issue. I will never force anyone into an abortion and I will ensure w/all my will that they have a healthy pregnancy. But if they decide to end the pregnancy, then I will support their individual decision and ensure that the health of the woman is maintained. I think you would hope someone would ensure that for our daughter. This honestly cannot be only a liberal view, right.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:04 PM

792 posts, read 634,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikelee81 View Post
Or just do what the Bible says and teach one's children in the ways of God and they will not depart from them (Bible paraphrase). The answer is not religion, it is God.

This young girl now will suffer as we all do from the sin (missing the mark) in our lives. If we just did what God said, life would go much better.
You forget, only about 1 in 7 people in the world are Christian.

I don't believe in your religion. I don't believe in any religion. I don't think I'm suffering now because of it, and since you haven't died and seen for yourself, you can't tell me with 100% certainty that I will burn in hell or whatever.

I'm sorry, but how, if the answer is God, how does that make the answer non-religious..?

Not to mention God has no place being taught in public schools. Sure, they should teach about belief systems but they should not encourage certain belief systems.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
You know what, while we're here, let's not educate kids about alcohol. Or drugs. Or gang violence. They'll figure it out for themselves too, right?

Abstinence-only preachers are living in a fantasy world. Yes, it would be nice if teenagers didn't have sex before they're mature enough. But it won't happen. So stop denying it and teach 15-year olds how not to get pregnant. They'll screw each other no matter what you say about hell or God or love.
Hormones seem to have a brain of their own!!

Old 07-14-2014, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowborn View Post
Hormones seem to have a brain of their own!!
Well, actually, it's more like the brain is controlled by those hormones.

Testosterone controls aggression, estrogen and some others control "love" (I think, I'm not 100% certain about the specifics), dopamine controls happiness, etc.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moscowborn View Post
I am appalled every time I hear how non liberal minded people preach that liberals love abortions. We don't want there to have to be any abortions. We want accurate sex ed, safe and affordable access to birth control, and for there never to be a pregnancy that threatens the life of the mother, or baby. Access to early prenantal care also helps prevent the need for a termination. If an abortion does take place, we want it to be done by professionals, in a safe and medically sterile way. Too many women died from dirty non professional clothes hanger style abortions in the back allies. Would any parent want their child to die this way because their child was too afraid to tell them they were pregnant and felt they have to end it or risk bringing wrath and shame to their family. Not every parent/child relationship is close and loving. So please stop w/the comments you make about liberals and abortion, as you are so off base on this issue. I will never force anyone into an abortion and I will ensure w/all my will that they have a healthy pregnancy. But if they decide to end the pregnancy, then I will support their individual decision and ensure that the health of the woman is maintained. I think you would hope someone would ensure that for our daughter. This honestly cannot be only a liberal view, right.
Exactly.

Liberals are pro-choice. Not pro-abortion. Again, just like with abstinence-only sex ed, it'd be nice if abortions were never needed. It'd be nice if guns weren't needed, if nuclear bombs weren't needed, etc etc. But we don't live in a perfect world and people should have all the options. It doesn't matter if you ban abortions, that'll probably do more harm than good when people use illegal, dirty, unsafe methods of abortion.

Maybe this is apples to oranges, but since marijuana was legalized in Colorado, drug cartels have taken a hit on their profits, crime is down, and the industry is much, much safer.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:16 PM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times
Personally, even with my background as an HIV/AIDS educator, I don't think passing out contraceptives is the answer any more than abstinence-only is the answer. The problem is that we rarely address WHY these kids (particularly the girls) are having sex.

At that age, motivations for having sex are often different between the genders. Boys are motivated more by the pure physical pleasure, where girls are typically seeking emotional connection and approval. Boys are often the instigators, where the girls are the ones who feel they need to have sex to get the boy to like them (or continue to like them). Girls very often have sex as a way to seek acceptance and love.

So no, I don't think it's as easy as "just say no" or "here's a condom, enjoy!" We have to teach these kids to seriously explore WHY they feel they need to have sex, and if there's any chance of sex meeting that need (which more than likely, it won't). Most of the time, it comes down to poor self esteem (yes, even with the teens who seem the most confident and outgoing).

Old 07-14-2014, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
Personally, even with my background as an HIV/AIDS educator, I don't think passing out contraceptives is the answer any more than abstinence-only is the answer. The problem is that we rarely address WHY these kids (particularly the girls) are having sex.

At that age, motivations for having sex are often different between the genders. Boys are motivated more by the pure physical pleasure, where girls are typically seeking emotional connection and approval. Boys are often the instigators, where the girls are the ones who feel they need to have sex to get the boy to like them (or continue to like them). Girls very often have sex as a way to seek acceptance and love.

So no, I don't think it's as easy as "just say no" or "here's a condom, enjoy!" We have to teach these kids to seriously explore WHY they feel they need to have sex, and if there's any chance of sex meeting that need (which more than likely, it won't). Most of the time, it comes down to poor self esteem (yes, even with the teens who seem the most confident and outgoing).
With boys there's pride and ego boosting as well. It should be obvious, the kid who's slept with every hot chick in the grade will be respected for that, by his guy friends at least if the girls won't respect him.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleonidas View Post
Schadenfreude is bad karma...
Had to look up that word, but you are right.

Old 07-14-2014, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlowerPower00 View Post
Actually, evidence show women do not have "emotional issues" after an abortion. That was a theory made up to scare people.

An abortion is a medical procedure.
The emotional issues may be sadness, depression, guilt, fear of being found out, but these are normal responses to an event that is far from a normal one in their life. Some may never forgive themselves, and carry the guilt for years, but honestly most will go through the stages of grief, and rise above them, as so many others do when their life is turned upside down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events