Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 08:39 AM

1,250 posts, read 4,785,532 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I don't know how old you are or how much history you know but this sort of thing is the exact speeches the Bolsheviks were giving before they lined the rich up against the wall. They did not NEED what they had. You are like them too. It is just that you don't have a gun.
Sorry but you lost the argument when you made the comparison.

Maybe try again with a little less hyperbole and people may take you seriously.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 11:34 AM

792 posts, read 634,873 times
Quote:
I don't know how old you are or how much history you know but this sort of thing is the exact speeches the Bolsheviks were giving before they lined the rich up against the wall. They did not NEED what they had. You are like them too. It is just that you don't have a gun.

It is none of your business what he needs or doesn't need. What if he wants to leave that $80,000 to his kids, give it to his church, whatever. Get your sticky little hands out of people's pockets.

If it was just GIVEN why don't YOU have some of that money? Nothing is just given to anybody. And since when are you quoting the Bible for writing public policy?

[

Yeah, I'd like to start you off with using 100KWh a month of electricity and living in 50 sq. ft of space. How do you like that? You don't NEED any more.
Seriously? Well, you know, the Romans used to have crippling inequality too because they didn't tax the rich much if at all, and the rich had all the power, etc etc. I can find historical examples of every single policy failing.

If he wants to leave that $80,000 a month to his church or to a charity, fine. Charitable donations are tax-deductible, you know. But giving it to his children, well that would just perpetuate the cycle of inequality. Do you think it's fair that some kids who are geniuses can't go to college because of what situation they were born into? While some kids get trust funds to blow on drugs and parties instead? Massive inheritances just keep the rich on top for generations. It's not like I'm proposing all wealth be given to the government upon death; I'm proposing trust fund deductions and inheritances be taxed as income.

I never said we all had to live in poverty. It's perfectly reasonable to expect someone to pay more if they make more. You can still have a cabin up north, a boat, three nice cars, etc. even if you're being taxed at 40%. Also, by having those well-off people pay a fairer share, we can get more people out of 50 sq ft of space.

Tell me, what is better to you: a revamped education system or a mass transit system or better healthcare, or letting wealthy people buy a new car?

Old 07-16-2014, 12:44 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
You are stuck in the either or world. People who come here for the first time marvel at the fact that so many live so well. No, not everyone flies a private jet but most people can buy a new car every 5 years. Other places it is not unusual to see someone keep the same car all their lives. You have to get out and see the world. You know so little.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:52 PM

Quote:
You are stuck in the either or world. People who come here for the first time marvel at the fact that so many live so well. No, not everyone flies a private jet but most people can buy a new car every 5 years. Other places it is not unusual to see someone keep the same car all their lives. You have to get out and see the world. You know so little.
I'm not sure what your point is. I'm certainly not marveling at how people live so well; I live in Manhattan, work for Big Finance and my boss certainly is prone to conspicuous consumption. I'm just saying that in excess it's not fair to people who weren't lucky enough to be born into good circumstances. Read Outliers, by Malcom Gladwell, it's a great book about why some people are just born into a position to succeed.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:01 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
You're right. Even those single moms with kids who received a tax check for $6K - $7K should pay some taxes to keep up the schools for their own kids, maintain the roads they drive on, help support our military and other government function. No one should get a free ride.

well, I'm guessin' that she or her landlord pay property taxes on her house or apartment.... that covers the schools....

and if she has a car, she pays taxes on every single gallon of gas she puts into that car that go towards the roads.....

plus the sales taxes she pays on every single purchase she makes at the store..... food included....

federal and state income taxes are NOT the only taxes out there as it seems so many believe when they gripe about people that "don't pay taxes."

Old 07-16-2014, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post
well, I'm guessin' that she or her landlord pay property taxes on her house or apartment.... that covers the schools....

and if she has a car, she pays taxes on every single gallon of gas she puts into that car that go towards the roads.....

plus the sales taxes she pays on every single purchase she makes at the store..... food included....

federal and state income taxes are NOT the only taxes out there as it seems so many believe when they gripe about people that "don't pay taxes."
Not to mention that I've come across several articles claiming that >50% of Americans don't pay taxes.. Just so happens that they included children as Americans who don't pay taxes.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:05 PM

9,352 posts, read 20,030,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYRhockeyfan View Post
Not to mention that I've come across several articles claiming that >50% of Americans don't pay taxes.. Just so happens that they included children as Americans who don't pay taxes.

what a surprise!!

well, I guess the children ARE Americans, so they are "technically" correct......

Old 07-16-2014, 01:18 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,481,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latetotheparty View Post

Food is not taxed here in Florida only in the liberal tax greedy Democrat governed states. I am speaking of Federal Income Tax. Everyone pays sales tax on consumer goods. Since she has a limited income just as most seniors do, her consumption of consumer goods would certainly be a lot smaller than a family earning $100K a year so that would balance that out. She probably don't drive around a whole lot and waste her gas either as could a family earning more. That should balance out as well.

You see, the excuse you give holds no validity. I have had no children in school for nearly 20 years now and I continue to pay property taxes which includes school taxes as well as a tax for the sheriff's department and for the fire department. Again a portion of my Federal Income tax goes to support the schools, the sheriff department often gets federal equipment and probably some money. I'm simply saying everyone who benefits should pay something.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:23 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,295,255 times
Quote:
Food is not taxed here in Florida only in the liberal tax greedy Democrat governed states. I am speaking of Federal Income Tax. Everyone pays sales tax on consumer goods. Since she has a limited income just as most seniors do, her consumption of consumer goods would certainly be a lot smaller than a family earning $100K a year so that would balance that out. She probably don't drive around a whole lot and waste her gas either as could a family earning more. That should balance out as well.

You see, the excuse you give holds no validity. I have had no children in school for nearly 20 years now and I continue to pay property taxes which includes school taxes as well as a tax for the sheriff's department and for the fire department. Again a portion of my Federal Income tax goes to support the schools, the sheriff department often gets federal equipment and probably some money. I'm simply saying everyone who benefits should pay something.
Wrong again! Food is not taxed in California, or here in Nevada. I also do not pay income tax here. Property taxes are cheap, and our sales tax is 7.7375% in my county, and the state imposes 6.5%. However, My state, and California provide federal tax revenue that is shifted to poor red stats and their failed policy.

Old 07-16-2014, 01:26 PM

Quote:

Sigh. Again. My home state of Minnesota, a pretty liberal state, doesn't tax grocery staples. As in bread, milk, etc. They also don't tax clothes. It's for a good reason, consumption taxes on stuff like groceries and clothes disproportionately affect poorer people. I'm in favor of taxing luxury goods though, like expensive clothing at the Mall of America or prime rib at restaurants, would get taxed more than chicken at the grocery store would. You lose more credibility when you say Democrats are tax greedy.. Democrats support increased government spending with increased taxes to pay for it. So really, liberals just want more taxes to be paid back into the community. If anyone is greedy, it's the wealthy Republicans like the Kochs who want to keep more of their "hard-earned" family fortunes.

Okay, you pay taxes for the schools, and emergency services. Under your proposal, are we going to charge people case-by-case for emergency services like police stopping a break-in? Should 911 cost as much as an international call, then only people who need those services have to pay for it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events