Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2014, 04:08 PM

31,897 posts, read 26,926,466 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Republicans making sure their rich friends don't get audited!
Damn Skippy!

There was an article in the media several weeks ago that stated there are now partnerships that are *too big* for the IRS to audit so they do not bother. By this the piece meant such partnerships are constructed in such a complicated manner the IRS wouldn't even begin to know how to audit, so it doesn't.

Have never understood the rationale for starving the one agency charged with bringing in revenue due to the American government. No wonder the IRS gives out billions per year in improper payments. To their defence they do call stopping a few hundred million a "savings" so that is something anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 07:26 PM

470 posts, read 1,162,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
Damn Skippy!

There was an article in the media several weeks ago that stated there are now partnerships that are *too big* for the IRS to audit so they do not bother. By this the piece meant such partnerships are constructed in such a complicated manner the IRS wouldn't even begin to know how to audit, so it doesn't.

Have never understood the rationale for starving the one agency charged with bringing in revenue due to the American government. No wonder the IRS gives out billions per year in improper payments. To their defence they do call stopping a few hundred million a "savings" so that is something anyway.
No you're right they can't audit everyone and a lot falls through the cracks..In my view the IRS is there to SCARE people, to let them know someone is watching, that's their primary function which is needed in a society where we self prepare our own returns.

Even if you go away with our current tax system and do a flat tax there will still be a need for the IRS or a similar agency full of auditors and support staff, to make sure people are reporting the correct amount of income (looking at you self employed Schedule C workers)

On a side note I dont remember where I read but the biggest tax loss/hole/etc.whatever it's called from the under reporting of income from small businesses (along with overinflated or personal expenses being put on there).

Old 07-16-2014, 08:37 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,480,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Not True, they want to spend like drunken sailors and have different priorities. Name on GOP president in office when government got smaller? I'll make it even easier, name one where government got smaller in relationship to GDP? Republican Paul Ryan called to abolish overtime laws, and wanted to turn SS over to Wall Street. These actions prove the opposite of what you claim. Is personal responsibility taking away a women's right to choose?

Democrats support working class rights, and realize a strong economy is consumer spending. By increasing wages and putting more people to work at a higher wage does this. All the rest is just political rhetoric. One only has to look towards successful states to see that a majority are blue. This can only mean the red states ideals are flawed.
What working class? That has almost disappeared under Obama. Why do you even worry so much about the wealthy? I don't want anyone's money but my own. Cheeze! It's not your money they spend like drunken sailors as you claim. What is it to you how they spend THEIR money? You are totally amazing.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:11 AM

741 posts, read 914,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih2puo View Post
Republicans making sure their rich friends don't get audited!
See, this is where you drive people to conservative ideas.

I'm a guy who doesn't get a tax 'refund check' every year. I write a check and it doesn't come back. I'm one of the ones paying for all this (Well, me and trillions in debt).

The thing is, you aren't off the hook just because you aren't 'rich'. The IRS audits low and middle income taxpayers CONSTANTLY. While higher income does correspond with a likelihood of being audited, its very easy to owe taxes and the idea that "they have bigger fish to fry' is completely naive.

And god forbid you ever find yourself caught up in the IRS nightmare, the entire system is so grotesquely complex and impossible to understand that you can find yourself with an IRS agent who makes a 'determination' that you owe a huge sum of money that is completely wrong and your recourse is to pay them over time or hire a lawyer. You think you can just say "Well, I'm poor" and they're done? They will freeze your bank accounts, garnish your wages and put liens on everything you own.

There are a lot of 'Democrats' who've been through this wringer who understand what an appallingly dysfunctional institution the IRS really is. Show me someone Pro IRS because of some stupid "STICK IT TO THE RICH!" platitude, I'll show you someone who is totally, 100% naive to their core about what the IRS actually does.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:18 AM

741 posts, read 914,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_human_being View Post
What working class? That has almost disappeared under Obama.
Are you 15 years old or just really, really non-observant?
The 'working class' has been taking body blow after body blow for three + decades now. Democrat, Republican, a large part of the reason the problem has gone unaddressed is because we seem to be a country of morons so caught up in binary, tribal thinking that they're too concerned with assigning blame to 'the other guy' rather than learning about how all this stuff actually works, who/what is responsible for it and how it can be fixed (if its not too late, which it may be).

NUH UH! OBAMA DID! (tortured statistics)
NUN UH! BUSH DID! (different tortured statistics)

C'mon, extinction comet! Hit the reset button.

Old 07-17-2014, 05:34 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
See, this is where you drive people to conservative ideas.

I'm a guy who doesn't get a tax 'refund check' every year. I write a check and it doesn't come back. I'm one of the ones paying for all this (Well, me and trillions in debt).

The thing is, you aren't off the hook just because you aren't 'rich'. The IRS audits low and middle income taxpayers CONSTANTLY. While higher income does correspond with a likelihood of being audited, its very easy to owe taxes and the idea that "they have bigger fish to fry' is completely naive.

And god forbid you ever find yourself caught up in the IRS nightmare, the entire system is so grotesquely complex and impossible to understand that you can find yourself with an IRS agent who makes a 'determination' that you owe a huge sum of money that is completely wrong and your recourse is to pay them over time or hire a lawyer. You think you can just say "Well, I'm poor" and they're done? They will freeze your bank accounts, garnish your wages and put liens on everything you own.

There are a lot of 'Democrats' who've been through this wringer who understand what an appallingly dysfunctional institution the IRS really is. Show me someone Pro IRS because of some stupid "STICK IT TO THE RICH!" platitude, I'll show you someone who is totally, 100% naive to their core about what the IRS actually does.
Wow, during my working years I was always in the top 10% and have never been audited? Just because your blessed with a good income is no reason to be a political sheeple and believe in a single party. This entire thing is politically driven for the GOP sheep period! How about compromise and working together to actually do something. I will never vote a party line.

Old 07-17-2014, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
Are you 15 years old or just really, really non-observant?
The 'working class' has been taking body blow after body blow for three + decades now. Democrat, Republican, a large part of the reason the problem has gone unaddressed is because we seem to be a country of morons so caught up in binary, tribal thinking that they're too concerned with assigning blame to 'the other guy' rather than learning about how all this stuff actually works, who/what is responsible for it and how it can be fixed (if its not too late, which it may be).

NUH UH! OBAMA DID! (tortured statistics)
NUN UH! BUSH DID! (different tortured statistics)

C'mon, extinction comet! Hit the reset button.
You're right. I'm too young to know. I'm 17.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:24 AM

12,282 posts, read 13,232,358 times
Quote:
I hope they shut it down completely and go with a flat tax. It has been used as a political tool by both parties. The EPA is the same way.
Flat taxes hurt the common man.

Old 07-17-2014, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Flat taxes hurt the common man.
I'm too young to understand what or whom you are defining as "the common man".

Old 07-17-2014, 10:41 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
I'm too young to understand what or whom you are defining as "the common man".
Those who's incomes are close to the median income, or shall we say the average person, or family.

Household income in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm currently reading this:

Gilens, M.: Affluence and Influence: Economic Inequality and Political Power in America. (eBook and Paperback)

It has been proven our laws are driven by the wealthy in this country. Congress is the best that can be bought, and when convicted like Tom Delay you just get it overturned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events