Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 01:29 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostjay View Post
I don't have much to add to this discussion other than - please don't let incidents like this confirm your bias/fear about flying. When you sit down and really think about it, pretty much EVERYTHING is out of your control. To let that impact certain aspects of your life but not others is damaging and unnecessary.
Oh it doesn't stop me from flying, I'm going to Nicaragua later this year, but I need drugs to get through it. Drugs as in the kind that put me to sleep otherwise it's clenching the arm rest & feeling a heart attack coming on, lol. Anyway, this whole thing is tragic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 02:02 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,009,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What gets me is you know after the first incident in March people were thinking "Well really, what are the odds that something would happen with this airline again?" & then, it happened. And those people who say flying is way safe? That's what every single person on every single plane crash tries to tell themselves & then it happened to them. This is why I have such a huge fear of flying. It's completely out of your control.
Odds of being in a plane crash are something like 1 in 11 million. Odds of dying in a car crash is around 1 in 100. There were 35,200 deaths related to car accidents in the US in 2012. That same year 794 people world wide died in a plane crash. 815.2 million people traveled by plane in the US in 2012, and there were no commercial plane crashes in the US that year.

So yes, flying is "way safe".

List of accidents and incidents involving commercial aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3563395.html

Old 07-18-2014, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundaydrive00 View Post
Odds of being in a plane crash are something like 1 in 11 million. Odds of dying in a car crash is around 1 in 100. There were 35,200 deaths related to car accidents in the US in 2012. That same year 794 people world wide died in a plane crash. 815.2 million people traveled by plane in the US in 2012, and there were no commercial plane crashes in the US that year.

List of accidents and incidents involving commercial aircraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Map Shows History Of Deadly Airplane Crashes In The United States
Yes, you can tell me all those stats & it still doesn't matter to me, I will still have a phobia of flying. And I'm betting there were a couple of people on that flight that also had a phobia & their phobia came true.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:23 PM

5,331 posts, read 8,538,811 times
Like others have said, flying is statistically very safe.

But statistics don't matter too much if you or your loved ones are on a plane that crashes.

If you scroll down a bit on this page: BBC News - MH17 crash: Passengers on Malaysia Airlines plane in Ukraine - you will see that a man who was on the plane that was shot down tweeted "if my flight to Malaysia disappears, this is what it looks like" just before he got on the plane.

Very sad.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:27 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times
Quote:
What gets me is you know after the first incident in March people were thinking "Well really, what are the odds that something would happen with this airline again?" & then, it happened. And those people who say flying is way safe? That's what every single person on every single plane crash tries to tell themselves & then it happened to them. This is why I have such a huge fear of flying. It's completely out of your control.
I never plan to fly again, if the trip requires flying, I just wont go on the trip

flying is very dangerous, lots of famous people in the world have died from plane accidents, because they travel all the time so the odds of a plane accident go way up

I rather take my chances traveling on the road, very few people survive jet liner accidents, when it goes down everyone on the plane gets killed.

cruise ship, train, auto, bus is much safer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
Like others have said, flying is statistically very safe.

But statistics don't matter too much if you or your loved ones are on a plane that crashes.

If you scroll down a bit on this page: BBC News - MH17 crash: Passengers on Malaysia Airlines plane in Ukraine - you will see that a man who was on the plane that was shot down tweeted "if my flight to Malaysia disappears, this is what it looks like" just before he got on the plane.

Very sad.
Ugh, that makes me tear up reading stories about the people onboard.

Quote:
Yes, you can tell me all those stats & it still doesn't matter to me, I will still have a phobia of flying. And I'm betting there were a couple of people on that flight that also had a phobia & their phobia came true.
But that doesn't mean flying isn't safe.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:28 PM

Quote:
But that doesn't mean flying isn't safe.
Sure but that means nothing now to those who died. The flight wasn't safe for them.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:35 PM

1,948 posts, read 6,460,054 times
Quote:

Map Shows History Of Deadly Airplane Crashes In The United States
the auto accidents only seem high because almost everybody drives, so the percentages will be higher

how many people fly their own plane compared to how many people drive their own car?

the number of people that die in plane crashes is actually high in comparison , the skys are not full of planes like the roads, and the chances on suriving an auto accident are much higher than surviving a jet accident.

Old 07-18-2014, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post

Very sad.
I think its sad that people concentrate more on the person's tweet, then they do on the person's life. I would think there was almost always a person on every Malaysian flight since March that has said the same thing. There is nothing remarkable or profound about that tweet. I would hope that there was something better in my life that people would want to share if I were to die instead of what I but on twitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
I rather take my chances traveling on the road, very few people survive jet liner accidents, when it goes down everyone on the plane gets killed.
Actually, more people survive jet liner accidents then die from them. Your chances of surviving an accident are pretty good and they continue to go up as improvements are made.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events