Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:41 AM

10,222 posts, read 19,201,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfProfessional View Post
I work in technology. It's a major problem in the field.
I work in technology too. Only I'm actually doing the work, not sitting in a hiring office rejecting candidates because they don't come from one of three rather small schools.

Quote:
Technology organizations interview thousands of candidates and reject most of them. The reality is that only a handful are adequate.
The reality is that there are a lot of good candidates out there, but an enormous number of bad candidates. And technology companies are poor at separating them; there's a very high false rejection rate.

Quote:
I can't speak for all STEM fields but college competent graduates from decent universities in the computing sciences fields are not dying to get jobs. They are jumping from job to job because of the demand.
Anyone not one of the less than 1000 graduates per year from one of the schools you fetishize is having a bit of a harder time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 12:10 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
I got a call awhile ago from a recruiter(Indian) and he says he's looking for someone who has all these "yada yada" experience and expert in this "yada yada" area. Ok, I said what is your rate? He said we're paying $35/hr. I lol so hard, I said you mean you want someone with 8 years of experience making $35/hr!? I can sit home and make $60/hr more than what they're paying you.

The recruiter sound intimated but got angry and said "sir, I believe we are paying a very good rate for this position." I told him, do you know how much it cost to pay for rent and food on the table?

He said "that is not my concern and our rate is still very attractive in this industry and for this position."

It's no wonder that even recruiters are being out-sourced because I'm sure even an American recruiter gets tired of calling and repeating the same crap just to help the agency reel in some desperate IT workers.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 PM

8,452 posts, read 4,747,353 times
I wonder if these folks who insist that Americans lack the talent that the foreigners possess are using the same requirements for native and foreign applicants? Are the foreign applicants given a pass on certain requirements because they work for less money? Do native applicants have to go through the standard hiring process which is designed to weed out all applicants except those who meet the narrowest of criteria while the foreign workers apply through some sort of package deal the company has with a foreign recruitment service?

I'm just having a hard time believing that the quality of native applicants is so inferior to the foreign pool. I suspect there is a talent to income ratio at play here. More is expected from native workers because they command a higher salary.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:29 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,683,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post
I wonder if these folks who insist that Americans lack the talent that the foreigners possess are using the same requirements for native and foreign applicants? Are the foreign applicants given a pass on certain requirements because they work for less money? Do native applicants have to go through the standard hiring process which is designed to weed out all applicants except those who meet the narrowest of criteria while the foreign workers apply through some sort of package deal the company has with a foreign recruitment service?

I'm just having a hard time believing that the quality of native applicants is so inferior to the foreign pool. I suspect there is a talent to income ratio at play here. More is expected from native workers because they command a higher salary.
There are lots of capable foreign applicants, have you notice why these big companies won't import foreigners from developed nations!? It's all about cost.

I've worked with another of IT workers from our London and Frankfort office and they are all exceptional in IT trade skills and experts in their areas of focus.

But, there is an mantra we can't import the best workers because they cost too much and European Union rules are too anti-capitalist. So we are forbid from hiring consultants from Europe unless they are being utilized for managing European assets and even that is being outsourced heavily. So I apologize to our European colleagues for our American ambitions of outsourcing everything and affecting their economy too but atleast they have more responsible labor and social policies in place to take care of them.

I always joked around with my Indian colleague that Indians are always willing to come to work in US for 1/2 the offer so they can get a cheap ticket to come here and find somebody around with a green card and then get hitched and have some American babies quickly so they can come back here and double the pay the next time.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:12 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,327,830 times
I work in technology, and yes, we have a huge shortage of STEM employees. Unfortunately, we cannot get enough skilled workers, and we have many unfilled highly paid positions, but we just can't get candidates.

When did the U.S. become so anti-immigration? I don't get it. What is so wrong with allowing more immigration, which is the lifeblood of our country. The more immigrants, the more prosperity we will have.

Old 07-19-2014, 03:07 PM

1 posts, read 930 times
Quote:
When did the U.S. become so anti-immigration? I don't get it. What is so wrong with allowing more immigration, which is the lifeblood of our country. The more immigrants, the more prosperity we will have.
Immigration is fine when it's helping the country. When it's being abused as a way to suppress wages and deteriorate working conditions, then it's a problem. It is not absolutely good or absolutely bad.

There is no STEM shortage in general. There may be a shortage of certain very specialized skillsets but there is no shortage of competent run of the mill tech workers.

[url=http://spectrum.ieee.org/at-work/education/the-stem-crisis-is-a-myth]The STEM Crisis Is a Myth - IEEE Spectrum[/url]

Old 07-19-2014, 04:26 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,442,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
I work in technology, and yes, we have a huge shortage of STEM employees. Unfortunately, we cannot get enough skilled workers, and we have many unfilled highly paid positions, but we just can't get candidates.

What skill set is this huge shortage in ?

Old 07-19-2014, 04:33 PM

384 posts, read 349,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
I work in technology too. Only I'm actually doing the work, not sitting in a hiring office rejecting candidates because they don't come from one of three rather small schools.
One day you'll get to the senior level where, in addition to your daily work, you have the responsibility of hiring and maintaining a high quality of staff. You can't interview every single person in the nation, so you interview those who have shown themselves to be most competent.
Quote:
The reality is that there are a lot of good candidates out there, but an enormous number of bad candidates. And technology companies are poor at separating them; there's a very high false rejection rate.
How would you suggest they improve the process? It's better to falsely reject a good candidate than accidentally hire a bad candidate(which, as you admit, there are an enormous number of).
Quote:
Anyone not one of the less than 1000 graduates per year from one of the schools you fetishize is having a bit of a harder time.
Good schools produce the best candidates. Anyone serious about working in the technology industry will get the best education. Those who are not serious about it will end up where they expect to end up.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:36 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Restrain View Post
In the height of hubris, Bill Gates called for bringing in more immigrants for high-tech jobs under visas, while Microsoft announces 18,000 layoffs of high-tech employees.

Let us be real honest here. The only reason the US Chamber of Commerce, Bill Gates, etc want more high-tech visas is to replace US employees with cheap contract labor. My son saw this happen in his company where US employees were being laid off and replaced the H1-B contract labor.

We do not have a shortage of STEM employees. I know of some in Dallas, a high-tech center, who were replaced and ended up selling computers at electronics stores.
Maybe because the average american is too ignorant to realize that the kind of jobs he's talking about may not have anything to do with the kind of jobs that were recently eliminated...hmmmm....

Yeah. That's the type of brainiac I want working for me.

Old 07-19-2014, 04:37 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,332,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bully View Post

A lot of times, just to get in the "foreign pool," you will have had to climb tooth and nail and bust your butt. THAT vs the average american partying his way through 4 years of college...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events