Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2014, 07:38 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,219,108 times

Advertisements

Since when have laws prevented illegals from being transported across state lines?

The Dept of Ag and EPA/Fish and Game have been confiscating critters constantly. Animal hoarders abound

I had the state bring in a buck that lived in someone's cellar for a few years, its hooves were so overgrown it walked on its pasterns.

Also a confiscated black bear from Cherry Hill. Stories of big cats in apartments are not rare. Organizations have been set up to care for confiscated and surrendered big cats.

Anaconda on the loose in NJ is a good news story, that's all. A thousand anacondas on the loose are a concern and material for a horror movie.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2014, 09:06 AM

3,727 posts, read 6,222,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
If I lived in Florida the one creature I would hunt and kill would be the released invasive anacondas. They're an ecological nightmare.
Think of a double sized Burmese Python on steroids and you get an idea of what they are like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
Anaconda on the loose in NJ is a good news story, that's all. A thousand anacondas on the loose are a concern and material for a horror movie.
Hey, New Jersey is a Blue State, so no sweat. As long as they stick to eating liberals, why worry? Now should they turn up in a Red State they have to go.

Old 07-22-2014, 09:19 AM

1,660 posts, read 2,533,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
Snake on the loose at New Jersey lake is green anaconda: expert - NY Daily News

Yanno, you'd think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that after what is happening in Florida with those huge snakes, that we here in America, would outlaw, any sale of animals as such, like Crocs, alligators, Anacondas, Phythons, etc. But, no, I have never ever seen such incompetence as far as our laws are concerned then now, it is amazing.

They did a special on TV about the outbreak of Anacondas and Burmese Phythons and how they are breeding, and the off spring are mega snakes...huge! Not only that, but they bought some up to the northern states and put them into an enclosure, to see how they would fair the winter, and surprisingly, they hibernated and made it thru the cold weather. Amazing...!!!

It seems anymore, fame and fortune are so much more important then the well being of this country...

Not only are we allowing human illegal immigration to transform this nation, but also illegal animal immigration to also over run our country.

When are our politicians going to do something good for this country?
You lost me when you started talking to someone named Yanno?

Old 07-22-2014, 10:17 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
uggabugga at least this one will croak during the winter from the cold, unlike the ones in the everglades.
Ummmm, ya didn't read my post, they did that, and they survived cold weather!

Old 07-22-2014, 10:22 AM

85 posts, read 103,761 times
Quote:
Ummmm, ya didn't read my post, they did that, and they survived cold weather!
Pretty amazing for a tropical snake to have survived this past winter in New Jersey.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:24 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,645,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShoe View Post
Think of a double sized Burmese Python on steroids and you get an idea of what they are like.

Hey, New Jersey is a Blue State, so no sweat. As long as they stick to eating liberals, why worry? Now should they turn up in a Red State they have to go.
This is New Jersey.

The snake will be Killed And Eaten.

Old 07-22-2014, 11:58 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,262,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valley slacker View Post
Pretty amazing for a tropical snake to have survived this past winter in New Jersey.
I don't know if it survived in NJ
Please read my first original post....

Old 07-22-2014, 04:42 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Snake on the loose at New Jersey lake is green anaconda: expert - NY Daily News

Yanno, you'd think, and please correct me if I'm wrong, that after what is happening in Florida with those huge snakes, that we here in America, would outlaw, any sale of animals as such, like Crocs, alligators, Anacondas, Phythons, etc. But, no, I have never ever seen such incompetence as far as our laws are concerned then now, it is amazing.

They did a special on TV about the outbreak of Anacondas and Burmese Phythons and how they are breeding, and the off spring are mega snakes...huge! Not only that, but they bought some up to the northern states and put them into an enclosure, to see how they would fair the winter, and surprisingly, they hibernated and made it thru the cold weather. Amazing...!!!

It seems anymore, fame and fortune are so much more important then the well being of this country...

Not only are we allowing human illegal immigration to transform this nation, but also illegal animal immigration to also over run our country.

When are our politicians going to do something good for this country?
Don't be an alarmist... most pythons in this country are small, harmless, and very few (outside of that one part of Florida) end up in the wild. I own over 20 snakes myself, most of whom are 4-5ft pythons, and all of whom were bred right here in the United States (by me personally in some cases). So they aren't all imported, and they aren't all huge. Please, at least learn the BASICS of what you're discussing before getting all "WE NEED TO BAN THEM."

They already have laws regarding the import/export of GIANT (10+ foot) pythons & anacondas to the US, but again, many non-native snakes are now bred here. So what do you suggest, and why? Just because some folks are irresponsible, that is not a good enough reason to restrict the rest of us... irrational fear is also not a good reason, and would be akin to the "Total Breed Bans" on certain breeds of dogs. What next? And how are you going to control the local breeding? They're already in this country, importing pythons over 10ft is already illegal, so kindly leave us alone now. If there is a problem with pythons being let loose, punish the owners individually and control/trap the snakes who are "invading" freely. That is enough. No need to murder them, either, as plenty of us snake lovers would happily take them in.

P.S. Pythons don't "hibernate." No snakes do that, AFAIK, but some colubrid types will BRUMATE if the weather gets cold enough. The tropical species would still eventually die in the wild, which is why you're only seeing them thrive in Florida - as it has a climate more similar to their own. Even here in Northern CA, any python would be dead within a winter or two.

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-22-2014 at 05:21 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 04:59 PM

30,345 posts, read 51,930,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
If you don't want the animals released have a penalty for folks releasing them and support the funding of an effective hunting and trapping program to eliminate the ones in the wild. No reason responsible owners shouldn't be allowed to have them if they want to.

Personally, I find it pretty cool to see us get more large wildlife in this country, but I realize that is not everyone's position.
Exactly.

What if I suggested banning guns altogether, just because some people use them irresponsibly? I'd probably be called a communist, freedom hater, anti-American, etc... same concept applies here, and total bans are hardly EVER the answer. My snakes are majestic, beautiful creatures, and I am a responsible well-educated keeper to them. So why should I be punished because some idiot bought a little Burmese baby, didn't research their long-term needs/growth, then set them loose when they got too big? Very few snake owners actually do that, or we'd already be seeing swarms of them in the south. So ONE Anaconda is found in New Jersey, and we're going into full panic mode? Lame.

(if you want to see some of my collection, visit my profile page!)

Last edited by gizmo980; 07-22-2014 at 05:22 PM..

Old 07-22-2014, 09:27 PM

5,297 posts, read 7,629,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnAL View Post
If you don't want the animals released have a penalty for folks releasing them and support the funding of an effective hunting and trapping program to eliminate the ones in the wild. No reason responsible owners shouldn't be allowed to have them if they want to.

Personally, I find it pretty cool to see us get more large wildlife in this country, but I realize that is not everyone's position.
You want to see more wildlife in this country that decimates the wildlife that was already here ? The pythons in the 'glades have no natural enemies and are wiping out bird hatcheries and most of the small animal life. They have even eaten alligators. There is no effective way to control them.......the last search and destroy fiasco here in Florida was a bust.

As for penalties on folks who release them into the wild. How do we prove they did it ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events