Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2014, 05:09 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,326 times

Advertisements

... ...it becomes history!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2014, 09:36 AM

57 posts, read 51,602 times
Default history in school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Indeed
I can tell you what IS happening, having been a teacher in public high schools until last year when I retired. American History and civics are not taught. Mentioned, yes, glossed over. I used Patrick Henry's speech to the 2nd Continental Congress as a way to show speech (persuasive speech techniques) and in the process I gave a back ground so the 11th and 12 graders understood the political climate of the day. Then we read the Declaration of Independence and it was the FIRST TIME they had read it, so English class turned into history class. Finally, and with great trepidation, I introduced the U.S. Constitution. Again, they had heard about it but never seen any of the words. They learned about the Bill of Rights and what it meant to them. I warned them to guard these rights as they are starting to erode. They went to their history teacher who told them I was wrong, they didn't need to know about these documents, they were historically outdated.

They did get a pretty fair background in concentration camps and Hitler's forced . The emphasis is on the growth of Islam. So, our students are being denied an education in the history in their own country but a strong one in a religion diametrically opposed to our very foundations. The students are looking for a past, looking for something to latch on to and they have nothing to hang their hats on. With such a huge vacuum, they need to belong to something and this makes them right for Islam

Our children are being done a huge disservice and there is nothing we can do about it unless we want to get up off our chairs, get active in our local school boards, run for office. We need people in there who are less concerned with political correctness and more concerned with teaching the TRUTH \\

Old 07-23-2014, 09:46 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,556,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kafrak View Post
I can tell you what IS happening, having been a teacher in public high schools until last year when I retired. American History and civics are not taught. Mentioned, yes, glossed over. I used Patrick Henry's speech to the 2nd Continental Congress as a way to show speech (persuasive speech techniques) and in the process I gave a back ground so the 11th and 12 graders understood the political climate of the day. Then we read the Declaration of Independence and it was the FIRST TIME they had read it, so English class turned into history class. Finally, and with great trepidation, I introduced the U.S. Constitution. Again, they had heard about it but never seen any of the words. They learned about the Bill of Rights and what it meant to them. I warned them to guard these rights as they are starting to erode. They went to their history teacher who told them I was wrong, they didn't need to know about these documents, they were historically outdated.

They did get a pretty fair background in concentration camps and Hitler's forced . The emphasis is on the growth of Islam. So, our students are being denied an education in the history in their own country but a strong one in a religion diametrically opposed to our very foundations. The students are looking for a past, looking for something to latch on to and they have nothing to hang their hats on. With such a huge vacuum, they need to belong to something and this makes them right for Islam

Our children are being done a huge disservice and there is nothing we can do about it unless we want to get up off our chairs, get active in our local school boards, run for office. We need people in there who are less concerned with political correctness and more concerned with teaching the TRUTH \\
What exactly does "makes them right for Islam" mean? Are you of the mindset of so many other conservatives that fundamentalist jihadists are taking over the country, starting in the classroom? Sounds like as a teacher you weren't opposed to giving your opinion instead of teaching unbiased. Constitutional rights are being eroded? Why ever would you even make that partisan opinion to your students? You do a massive disservice to your students injecting your opinions into your teachings. I hope the teacher replacing you focuses more on teaching & less on indoctrinating.

Last edited by thefragile; 07-23-2014 at 10:18 AM..

Old 07-23-2014, 10:35 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,750,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
What exactly does "makes them right for Islam" mean? Are you of the mindset of so many other conservatives that fundamentalist jihadists are taking over the country, starting in the classroom? Sounds like as a teacher you weren't opposed to giving your opinion instead of teaching unbiased. Constitutional rights are being eroded? Why ever would you even make that partisan opinion to your students? You do a massive disservice to your students injecting your opinions into your teachings. I hope the teacher replacing you focuses more on teaching & less on indoctrinating.

Is that really such a partisan opinion? Seems to me it's the opinion of most people on both sides of the left/right political spectrum, and the partisan disagreement is focused more on who is to blame for it(which is part of the reason it is allowed to continue on unabated, by the way).

Old 07-23-2014, 10:58 AM

16,578 posts, read 8,600,121 times
Quote:

Sadly many a student, even in private schools are being fed PC filled revisionist history. My HS kid was in history class being taught by a former military guy who seemed normal on the surface. However it became evident very quickly that his race (black) had an overwhelming part to play in the way he chose his material. Furthermore, any time almost any historical subject came up, he always related it back to black culture, whether it be here in America, or in "mother Africa". He used that term because he is convinced we were all once black, that Jesus was black, and if not for the white man, Africa would be an economic power and paradise. Essentially he declared that most of the worlds inventions and fine culture were stolen from blacks, and according to several students I spoke to, he pictures "mother Africa" as having been some type of city like in the Wizard of Oz.

Regardless, that year in history class was a huge waste for my kid, even though he got good grades. I told him to go along to get past this class, so as to not stir something up that could effect his college scholarship opportunities.
Still I have my doubts as to whether I should have spoken up, or had him do so considering the brainwashing going on with someone who taught with a racial chip on his shoulder. I have in turn needed to give him extra doses of history to help cover for the year he learned far too much about civil rights/black culture, and not enough about the majority of American history.

`

Old 07-23-2014, 12:16 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,986,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Exactly.

I wonder, if she simply hadn't been smiling in the picture, if people wouldn't have been so outraged? That's really the only thing I find inappropriate. I've known many people who've visited Auschwitz and taken photos of themselves standing at the gates, etc., to show that they were there. How is this so different?
I don't have a problem with her taking the photo as that tracks with what's in the article, e.g. "Look Dad, I made it here."

But once she posted it to Twitter, well... that was inappropriate.

Unless she attends a church that supposes all heavenly communication from lost relatives is only possible via social media.

Old 07-23-2014, 12:21 PM

2,865 posts, read 3,630,500 times
what happens when history is eliminated from school curriculum

We as a people never learn who we really are and where we came from and it is easier to shape into whatever, whomever someone wants us to be..................

Old 07-23-2014, 01:13 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,721,722 times
I won't let it happen.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:52 PM

1,971 posts, read 3,043,610 times
How much dumber could it get?
Most high school history is taught by a football coach who has the class watch videos like Titanic.
If students can figure out that Jesus lived in a different time period than Abraham Lincoln they pass the class.

Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 PM

15,546 posts, read 12,017,382 times
Quote:
I can tell you what IS happening, having been a teacher in public high schools until last year when I retired. American History and civics are not taught. Mentioned, yes, glossed over
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Sadly many a student, even in private schools are being fed PC filled revisionist history.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rzzz View Post
How much dumber could it get?
Most high school history is taught by a football coach who has the class watch videos like Titanic.
If students can figure out that Jesus lived in a different time period than Abraham Lincoln they pass the class.
Just so I don't ever move to these cities, where do you guys live? I was taught by excellent teachers during high school while taking American History and US Government, both of which were required classes. We were required to learn the constitution, bill of rights, and other important American documents from our past. We learned about pre colonial days through modern times. We were tested on all the material covered. In order to pass US Government we had to pass the US citizenship test. My brother just graduated high school, and had most of the same history teachers as I did, so things are still pretty much the same.

This is all stuff that I had learned in middle school and elementary school as well, so it wasn't new material to learn in high school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events