Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2014, 02:04 AM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

I'll betcha anything, way back in the days of pioneers and Indians, with no freeway overpasses then, there were grinning Indians atop hilltops/cliffs, waiting for the white man to appear on a horse or in a stage coach, and a big rock went flying down a cliff and? Splat!!!

And they laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 05:12 AM

40 posts, read 101,058 times
This happened right up the road from me. It's a largely rural area, and we've already heard several "Not my kid", "My kid is a good kid", and "But there's nothing for kids to do in this area" excuses made.

The family of this woman has commented a number of times about how well they're being treated here. Everyone is making sure she knows we're not all like that. Someone threw a log off of that overpass a few years ago. I can't remember if they were ever caught or not, but while I don't justify it, the person had some severe car damage, but was not injured like this woman was.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:20 AM

2,183 posts, read 2,636,607 times
A football sized rock?!?! Are you kidding me? Throw the kids in jail, thats beyond stupid. Anyone with two brain cells to rub together knows what a rock that size would do to a car traveling at highway speeds.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:33 AM

50,720 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wawa1992 View Post
It's not the parents fault. They did nothing wrong so it's unfair to punish them. Make the kids work in prison and give it to that woman and her family.

And 7 years should mean to serve 7 years.
That lady is going to need millions and millions of dollars over the next dozen or so years for rehabs, therapies, what will certainly be multiple cosmetic reconstructive and brain surgeries, most likely dozens and dozens over the next few years, home help, counseling, etc, etc. Kids working in prison for $1 an hour for 7 years isn't going to help her. For the parents of the minors, they are certainly going to be held liable whether it's their fault directly or not. The lady and her husband certainly hold less responsibility than the parents, and they should get every cent they need if they can get it.

Old 07-25-2014, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I'll betcha anything, way back in the days of pioneers and Indians, with no freeway overpasses then, there were grinning Indians atop hilltops/cliffs, waiting for the white man to appear on a horse or in a stage coach, and a big rock went flying down a cliff and? Splat!!!

And they laughed and laughed and laughed and laughed!!!
What's your point? That we should laugh and laugh over this woman's shattered life because it has happened before?

Old 07-25-2014, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Why!! OMG, this rock thrower was 50 years old!!

Why is it, when it comes to graffiti, or things of this nature, we go on automatic pilot: teenagers!

Sick forms of fun can have an appeal to all ages!

As AARP has predicted, senior citizens, down the road, will be our largest criminal class!

I was mugged, on a vacation to Ecuador, 8 years ago, by 2 well-dressed, grey-haired senior citizens, falsely expecting to be mugged by teenagers!

Shocked? You bet!! And after that, nothing will ever surprise me!
An older person committing a crime to get something (money) is not in the slightest surprising to me, howver a stunt like this for no gain and no purpose except to be violent surprises me very much, yes.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:23 AM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post

Yeah they will blame the rock for the assault. From now on all rocks will be considered assault rocks and made illegal.
Being forced to breaking them in the hot sun will be considered cruel and unusual punishment.

Old 07-25-2014, 10:32 AM

2,406 posts, read 6,036,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
No, that is absolutely not true. I have been on this planet for 69 years and things HAVE never been as bad as they are today. Sure, we had crime and violent acts, but never to the degree or magnitude it is in 2014.

This isn't to glorify the "old days", but in the 50's we never locked our doors and kids played outside without a Parent having to watch over them 24/7 to keep them from being grabbed. Mothers and Fathers didn't kill their kids, and I didn't have to look over my shoulder when I walked down some street. We knew our neighbors and they looked out for us and we for them. Cops were rarely shot because we had respect for them and the law, and you could send your kids to school without a police officer having to be stationed there to keep them safe.

Every time I hear someone say it was always bad I either think they are too young to actually have been there, or they have their heads in the sand. I lived it and I do remember how things were vs how they are now.

Don
I haven't lived on this earth as long as you. I'm only 34. I will say though that every generation of people throughout history has always thought that the generation after them was terrible. People love to look at the past with rose-colored glasses.

I've always found true crime to be an interesting topic. My father-in-law has a big Time Life coffee table book at his house documenting numerous heinous crimes that have occurred in American history...none of the crimes documented occurred in my lifetime and they were committed out of pure evil.

In fact if you look at overall crime statistics throughout the U.S., crime is mostly down in big cities throughout the entire country.

I have a 3 year old son and I'll be damned if I'm trapped into the ignorant notion that today's generation is somehow worse than any previous generation. If parents would be parents, we wouldn't have half the problems we have in society. I'll agree that there are certain types of crimes that have become more common in today's society. The reality is though that there have always been evil people throughout history and it's not some new concept that only exists with today's youth.

Old 07-25-2014, 01:17 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Four years younger than you, but I grew up in NYC. My life was not like the one you described. In fact, when I was 13 dressed in my Catholic schoolgirl uniform, I had a NYPD squard car following me home yelling "Hey, Baby" at me. When I told my Dad, he went balastic and ran out of our apartment and tried to find that police car. Didn't.

I grew up learning NEVER walk next to the buildings or right near the street. Somebody in the building or in a car might GRAB YOU. If it was so safe back then, why say that?

Where did you grow up in the 50s and 60s? Even back then, Big City Kids, and Parents, had to have Street Smarts. Ever hear of Etan Patz? "Good Old Days"?
Etan Patz disappeared in 1979, not quite the 50s and 60s. And the REASON he was allowed to walk to the bus alone was because people weren't worried about their kids being snatched. His disappearance changed a lot of things.

But back in the 60s, in the burbs, we were still warned about not going into a car with someone if they tried to lure us with candy or anything, and we heard about kids being kidnapped occasionally. Still, parents didn't really worry because kids played outside and in the woods with a whole bunch of other kids. If it was nice outside, you didn't stay in your house and play. If you said you were bored, you'd find yourself cleaning the bathroom or something.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 07-25-2014 at 01:56 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 03:27 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,049,648 times
Sentence them to death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events