Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2014, 05:39 PM

3,762 posts, read 5,419,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
4 yrs old.

The infinite variation in what are socially acceptable mores and rights, the subtlety of private versus public, the infinite cultural variations on top of the neurodevelopmental stage of a 4 yr. old. The difference even among a "homogenous" culture as to what is good manners and what is not, what is correct etiquette, what is déclassé, the non-reciprocity of acceptable conversation between adults and children..

Quite frankly, your stupidity rises to the level of offensive.
When a child learns to speak and walk they should also begin to learn some manners. Nobody said they would get it right away or that it wouldn't be difficult to teach them, but why not try to instill them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2014, 05:48 PM

1,034 posts, read 1,089,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
The mom admitted in one news report that her son "caused some commotions in the shop before".
However, I suspect that the boy probably "caused some C O M M O T I O N S in the shop before" and this was just the last straw.

I agree with ocjngirl, that the family was banned more due to the previous issues, that Mom didn't explain, than the one last comment.
This is what I'm thinking too. And it was the shop owner, not the fat lady, who was offended. The fat lady didn't seem upset at all. But the shop owner, well aware of the problems this kid had caused in the past, had decided that this was enough. Straw that broke the camel's back.

Old 07-25-2014, 05:58 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
[quote=ocnjgirl;35803980]When a kid is that little, you say God putthe baby there or something iike that. Isn't it the slightest understandable to adults that a 4-year old would think the whole process of a lady having a baby in her belly is fascinating, it's not understandable to adults here why a little child would have questions about something so amazing? IMO it would be harder to explain to a 4 year old why it could be considered "rude" or private, because then you WOULD have to explain the sex and the possible reasons why it has to be so private and he can't ask questions. At the time, it would be best to answer briefly "God put a baby in her belly and we can talk more about it later" then redirect to something else, to me it's crazy to scold the kid for being curious about new knowledge.

I do think the kid caused issues before and that is the only reason they kicked the lady and her kid out, but I don't think asking this question was in the slightest unusual or most especially "rude" for a child that age.[/quote]

That's probably the case. He was probably a PITA.
This was probably just the last straw for the donut shop people.

I also agree that the question was not especially rude for a child that age.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:17 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,653,818 times
I honestly don't see what was so offensive about the kid. We were all like this at one point, and without curiosity (Good or bad) how are we supposed to innovate?

Old 07-25-2014, 06:35 PM

50,702 posts, read 36,402,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
When a child learns to speak and walk they should also begin to learn some manners. Nobody said they would get it right away or that it wouldn't be difficult to teach them, but why not try to instill them?
Yes, and we should make them give up the stroller and walk at 6 months, and be potty trained by 9 months. To heck with developmental levels!

You do begin teaching 4 year olds manners, you say "Tell the man thank you" or "say Please". That is the developmental level of a 4 year old.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 07-25-2014 at 06:52 PM..

Old 07-25-2014, 06:38 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,198,926 times
I have had similar things happen before .

My 1st grade teacher called me "garbage" all the time. One day, I retaliated saying she was fat, and I got suspended.

Old 07-25-2014, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adi from the Brunswicks View Post
I have had similar things happen before .

My 1st grade teacher called me "garbage" all the time. One day, I retaliated saying she was fat, and I got suspended.
That's in no way similar. You admit you said it to retaliate against her, there was no malice or intent behind this child's innocent question.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:22 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,509,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
Or maybe the mom could, you know, teach her kid some manners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile View Post
I'm sure there's more to the story. Don't "oh please" me. Teach the kid some manners. Everyone knows you don't ask a strange woman when she's due, it's common sense. Teach that common sense to your kids. It's not hard to do.
Hello? The kid is FOUR.

He had no idea that question was offensive when he asked it.

He does now, of course.

Poor guy was just trying to make polite conversation.

Old 07-25-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Hello? The kid is FOUR.

He had no idea that question was offensive when he asked it.

He does now, of course.

Poor guy was just trying to make polite conversation.
Exactly. Also he didn't ask "when she was due", 4 year olds don't know what "due" even means, for God's sake. He asked if there was a baby in her belly.

Old 07-26-2014, 09:54 AM

17,563 posts, read 15,220,914 times
Could have been worse..
Attached Thumbnails
4 year old banned from doughnut shop because of rude comment-opu09_06comp_lr.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events