Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 11:50 AM

51,607 posts, read 25,642,689 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
I read somewhere that someone that used to work with Dr. Kevorkian recommends his death machine for executions. It's carbon monoxide based, so cheap and readily available. Also reportedly painless.
I don't support the death penalty. Killing is just wrong no matter who does it. Plus, too many wrongfully convicted people.

The Innocence Project - Home

However, I too have wondered why they don't use carbon monoxide poisoning. Supposed to be quite peaceful.

Anyone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2014, 12:01 PM

1,017 posts, read 1,806,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I don't support the death penalty. Killing is just wrong no matter who does it. Plus, too many wrongfully convicted people.

The Innocence Project - Home

However, I too have wondered why they don't use carbon monoxide poisoning. Supposed to be quite peaceful.

Anyone know?
I agree with you about theres to many wrongfully convicted people. that's why we give em a chance to prove there innocence

Old 07-26-2014, 12:50 PM

51,607 posts, read 25,642,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krelithous View Post
I agree with you about theres to many wrongfully convicted people. that's why we give em a chance to prove there innocence
Everyone has a chance to prove their innocence. Yet we have hundreds of wrongful convictions.

Over a hundred people on death row have been exonerated and at least 8 that were executed were later found to be innocent.

8 People Who Were Executed and Later Found Innocent - NakedLaw by Avvo.com

According to this article, it is likely that 4% of those we execute are innocent.

How Many Innocent People Are Sentenced To Death? - Forbes

Old 07-26-2014, 01:07 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,069,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Everyone has a chance to prove their innocence. Yet we have hundreds of wrongful convictions.

Over a hundred people on death row have been exonerated and at least 8 that were executed were later found to be innocent.

8 People Who Were Executed and Later Found Innocent - NakedLaw by Avvo.com

According to this article, it is likely that 4% of those we execute are innocent.

How Many Innocent People Are Sentenced To Death? - Forbes

That sucks, but personally, I'd rather be peacefully executed rather than spend my life in prison.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:13 PM

23,769 posts, read 28,933,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Cruel and Usual Punishment is illegal. This would fall under that category.
this particular constitutional right doesn't really count

Old 07-26-2014, 06:19 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,069,149 times
McCain calls this one torture

McCain said Arizona inmate

Old 07-26-2014, 09:47 PM

966 posts, read 1,336,396 times
mclaim also says he is a republican and he lied on that count as well

Old 07-26-2014, 10:19 PM

795 posts, read 1,264,948 times
Quote:

Honestly, McCain is old... he is not even sure about what is saying at times.

Great life he has had but we dodged a bullet with him running for President.

I have a lot of respect for Brother McCain...

Old 07-27-2014, 09:53 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,182,766 times
Quote:

He also called getting wet torture.

Old 07-27-2014, 10:38 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 4,228,753 times
People who say capital punishment should be peaceful, and other such nonsense, are in denial about what a depraved murder it is. It needs to be honest so people can't pretend it's innocent. The best way to make it honest is to make it gruesomely violent, and understand that no matter how depraved that gruesome violence is, it's less depraved than the capital punishment itself.

A much better punishment for capital crimes would be to chain the person in public and let the general public take out their anger on him, any way they see fit. That would serve as a much stronger deterrent. A lot of people who commit capital crimes are borderline suicidal, and don't consider capital punishment to really be much of a punishment. But if they were facing a real punishment, they would think twice. They would have seen, on TV or in person, people being punished that way, having rocks thrown at them, being kicked, punched, spat on, etc., day after day till they died, and would be highly motivated to avoid that kind of punishment, even if they weren't motivated to avoid a "peaceful" capital punishment.

In any case, capital punishment is for the bloodthirsty public, not for the person being punished. If he's going to die anyway, it hardly matters how he dies. What matters is that we don't deceive ourselves about how depraved it is by trying to make it "peaceful". It's very important that it always be crystal clear that we're committing a depraved murder, and never try to cover it up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events