Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2014, 03:35 PM

104 posts, read 95,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterseat View Post
Jail isn't reserved only for the dangerous. It's supposed to be a deterrent. Why can't people control themselves if their particular desired activity is illegal? Mind-numbed potheads is not what this society needs. (No offense to the nmph's out there)
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 07:05 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,308,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
And you call me mind-numbed.....LOL. Take a look in the mirror, pal.

And why isn't jail reserved for only the dangerous? It should be. Smoking weed is not a crime. It is when it's illegal. Supposed to be a deterrent...for what, in this case? To deter people from using marijuana? Why? Because the gub'ment says so? Open your eyes. Stop letting the government spoon feed you.
I wasted a lot of years, talent and money on pot smoking. But, hey, I was cool. Not. I finally DID look in the mirror. And I finally got my brain to wake back up.

But hey. You're cool. And it's your body. And why should white collar criminals go to jail? Really, dude? It's not like they're dangerous. *pass the bong*

Old 09-01-2014, 08:27 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
I wasted a lot of years, talent and money on pot smoking. But, hey, I was cool. Not. I finally DID look in the mirror. And I finally got my brain to wake back up.

But hey. You're cool. And it's your body. And why should white collar criminals go to jail? Really, dude? It's not like they're dangerous. *pass the bong*
Lol you people make me laugh. If you wasted that much on pot, that's YOUR fault. Not the marijuana's fault. Some of the greatest minds have been potheads. How do you like that iPhone you have? Or that ipod? itunes? ipad? Came from a pothead. Do you know who Carl Sagan is? Steven Jay Gould? Oliver Sacks? I don't have time to list everyone else. Smoking pot is not about looking cool and if that's the only reason you used it, of course it was a waste and of course it wasn't worth it. Of course you melted your own brain with your poor decisions. That all goes back to your insecurities and you feeling like you needed to "fit in." Not marijuana's fault even one bit.

I never said white collar criminals shouldnt go to jail. They are dangerous as they are stealing tremendous amounts of money from the working class. They are thieves. Lock 'em up and throw away the key. Don't put words in my mouth.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:09 AM

Quote:
And why isn't jail reserved for only the dangerous? It should.
They were't your words? But it's interesting that you consider theft dangerous. The drug trade involves more than selling pot. Legalizing M. Isn't going to stop the black market. I do agree, long sentences make about as much sense as killing your daughter for watching American TV. So move to CO. One of our girls made a long awaited trip to CO last week. She saved for a year anticipating a great time like last year. No. Nothing but pot smoking on the agenda. She's lost all respect for those friends. It seems to have monopolized their lives.

YOU PEOPLE? How very general of you.

Don't tell me what others have done with their lives. Tell me what great things you're doing with yours. Cuz my life got pretty good post-stoner days. I'm my own best argument for quitting.

Old 09-02-2014, 05:13 AM

Quote:
Do you know who Carl Sagan is? Steven Jay Gould? Oliver Sacks?
no

Old 09-02-2014, 09:17 AM

3,649 posts, read 4,494,397 times
Quote:
They were't your words? But it's interesting that you consider theft dangerous. The drug trade involves more than selling pot. Legalizing M. Isn't going to stop the black market. I do agree, long sentences make about as much sense as killing your daughter for watching American TV. So move to CO. One of our girls made a long awaited trip to CO last week. She saved for a year anticipating a great time like last year. No. Nothing but pot smoking on the agenda. She's lost all respect for those friends. It seems to have monopolized their lives.

YOU PEOPLE? How very general of you.

Don't tell me what others have done with their lives. Tell me what great things you're doing with yours. Cuz my life got pretty good post-stoner days. I'm my own best argument for quitting.
Well, maybe not exactly dangerous, but the way I see it...if your crime produces victims, you deserve to be in jail. Smoking weed produces 0 victims. Yes the drug trade does involve more than selling pot I agree, but the only reason pot is included in that drug trade is because of its illegality. I also agree that legalizing mj won't stop the black market, but the black market will take a serious hit if weed was available in stores. Your daughter sounds extremely judgmental if she lost all respect for her friends just because they wanted to smoke pot on their vacation. Wonder where she gets it from....

As if you weren't making huge generalizations when you said "mind-numbed potheads"? They weren't your words? How very general of you.

Well, if your life got better post-pot, then good for you! It is good that you were able to identify and eliminate the problem. However, this does not mean it inhibits success for everyone. Which brings me to my next point/your next post.......

Quote:
no
Really? You've never heard of those people? Carl Sagan? Dude. And you say our minds are numbed...ironic.

Old 09-02-2014, 03:43 PM

1,097 posts, read 2,045,683 times
Quote:
Yes the drug trade does involve more than selling pot I agree, but the only reason pot is included in that drug trade is because of its illegality. I also agree that legalizing mj won't stop the black market, but the black market will take a serious hit if weed was available in stores.
https://news.vice.com/article/legal-...exican-cartels

Old 09-02-2014, 04:57 PM

1,170 posts, read 1,022,760 times
Quote:
Okay. Let's take this scenario.

This is the 3rd time I've stated this but it has received no reply.

I am a good person. I have engaged in search and rescue operations after devastating tornadoes 3 times in 2 states - including the infamous Joplin tornado in 2011. I pulled women and children from the rubble that used to be their home. I have also engaged in 3 voluntary community searches for missing persons...trudging through thorn bushes, poison ivy, waist deep water, shin deep mud. I am on the Dean;s List at my college after having made all A's and 1 B in 6 classes last semester. I am raising 4 children, none of which are my own biologically but I love and treat them as though they are my own.

I have also been arrested 3 times for the marijuana that I use to treat my serious chronic illness (Crohn's). Do you think I should now spend life in prison?
Yes. If that's the law the expectation is you follow it or accept the consequences. The other alternative is to move to a community where it is legal. Run for office if you want to see it changed but for the love of god don't put yourself in a situation where you're unprepared to accept the consequences of your risky behavior. Before you jump on me the "risk" I refer to is the fact that it is still illegal and you continue to do it. All the rambling about your community endeavors is irrelevant. If you get those kind of grades you're smart enough not to continue to break a law, however much you disagree with it.

The punishment for pot is unrelated to the consequences of the woman you mentioned. Should she get more jail, yes, IMO.

Everything else you've posted is a distraction.

Old 09-02-2014, 08:01 PM

*sigh* had to google Carl. An astronomer? Really? Not exactly my swim lane.
I wasn't generalizing. I specifically referred to mind-numbed potheads. There are enough of them out there. There are recreational users. Maybe they smoke at a party. Or they might break down and purchase some a couple times a year and smoke maybe once a month cuz it's no big thing. Those of you who keep it in your system 24/7? Not someone I'd want performing surgery on me.

I appreciate your passion for this cause you've chosen. Kudos for your SAR work. Sorry about your illness.

Old 12-18-2015, 06:41 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,107,138 times
Life in prison for pot? What a load of crock. I agree with a previous poster that if people want to wreck their lives doing drugs let em. Some even maintain self control and are successful human beings while getting high.

Mandatory sentencing is clearly broken and a way for prisons to keep full to capacity. And to all the idiots claiming "thats the law" that was the case with Jim Crow too. Laws can be bad and corrupt.

All drugs should be legal for adults. Its a (stupid) personal choice. Should it be illegal to be fat? Fat people cost us more money than drug users. This drug war ends up funding an underground black market and for profit prisons, neither of which are good.

Selling children into sex slavery however is not a victimless crime...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events