Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 11:05 AM

607 posts, read 760,662 times

Advertisements

What impact will Argentina defaulting on all its debts, public and private, have on the world economy?

Are they really connected in such a way where it would cause a rippling domino effect? They seem to be so isolated, in their own little Juan Peron-ish way, with no major Fortune 500 well-known companies to speak of, that perhaps there will be little, if any, impact..

They have their own currency, so it is not like Greece/Portugal and Euro connections/implications...I'm not even sure how connected they are economically to the rest of S America, or how vital their industries are....outside of cattle/meat on the Pampas, oil/natural gas, and such, what DO they really have to trade with the larger world anyway? And too late to become a refuge for ex-nazis, as I believe most of them have passed.....in all seriousness, what will happen now? Nothing much?

I can tell you one thing....they are finished......not just because of the loss to Germany in the World Cup(though that did seem to be a harbinger of sorts)......

I can't see any entity investing in Arg's debt, notes, currency, stock, or companies for many years....they have now unilaterally cut themselves off from the world's currency...

Now they will ***** for US dollars like Cuba.....Look for George Washingtons visage to be the currency of choice now, as Arg's inflation should jack up hugely, for a spell anyway...

Is it too late for the World Bank or IMF, or the EU, or the US, to bail these guys, who seem to always be hanging on a precipice, anymore?

Sadly, I think they are finished......thank God there are still plenty of Argentinian steakhouses worldwide to sell to....prob the only way they can get hard currency now, other than starting prostitution rings worldwide.......

wow...again, so sad! Eva is spinning around in her grave now, baffled as we all are at what a once prosperous country has come to...

below pic public domain................
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 11:20 AM

8,982 posts, read 10,457,345 times
It's a big deal for Argentina, but not for the rest of the world. There wasn't a worldwide crash in 2001, the last time this happened.

Second Time Around: What Argentina's Second Default Means For Investors - Forbes

Old 07-31-2014, 11:27 AM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
its funny how they blame these "vultures" that wont accept their deals to pay them significantly less than what is owed. if those companies are willing to take the risk of a bankruptcy, then why should they accept a deal paying them less than what's owed?

Old 07-31-2014, 12:07 PM

So this is the THIRD time, PCH? Man..that is crazy...

Old 07-31-2014, 12:08 PM

Cap,,correct..was a few Wall Street firms who would not renegotiate terms.....hope they are satisfied now, as they get nothing....zero...nada.......

Old 07-31-2014, 01:02 PM

31,771 posts, read 40,672,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottkuzminski View Post
Cap,,correct..was a few Wall Street firms who would not renegotiate terms.....hope they are satisfied now, as they get nothing....zero...nada.......
that is up to bankruptcy court. i hope they get payment in full. they shouldnt be bullied by a deadbeat country.

Old 07-31-2014, 01:26 PM

I am actually half-serious here..

..would it have been different if Argentina won the World Cup final?

I really think it would have...they would have had too much national pride going on to default...laugh, but I think
they would not have...after they lost to Germany, I think they just stopped giving a D@mn...

My opinion anyway.....if a world war can start with an out of work serbs gunshot, surely a national default can start with a World Cup loss/humiliation...

Old 07-31-2014, 01:35 PM

800 posts, read 1,296,435 times
ugh, i have some property (small hotels) my dad left me when he passed away in buenos aires that i know some lady is "managing", i havent seen a penny in the passed 20 years from it. i wonder if they are even worth anything now to sell. it seems i physically have to go there to get anything done

Old 07-31-2014, 01:57 PM

2,869 posts, read 4,449,141 times
Penga"

Twenty YEARS ? Wow, you sure are an absentee owner, aren't you ?

Seriously, why would you wait even a year, to take control of YOUR property down there ?

I can't believe that any one would be so lazy, especially with serious money on the table.

If it was me, I would have been on a plane, with my ownership docs in hand, pronto.

Jim B. In Toronto.

Old 07-31-2014, 02:21 PM

Canadian...with the country defaulting, perhaps it is a nightmare to do business there....or it isnt worth much.....hard to say....I guess Penga will explain later.....I bet, with the country defaulting, its worthless now anyway..

Sounds like, if they were up and running the last 20 years, they stole a crapload of cash.....sad.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events