Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 11:20 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,901,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
At the time, I'd heard he had been put into a concrete pour for some bridge being built. I'm not exactly sure if that would work, but that's the rumor that was going around at the time. This would have been in Detroit in the late 70's and discussion among kids in a high school, so I doubt it was a valid rumor.
I lived in Detroit when Hoffa disappeared. I worked downtown and took the Ford Fwy. to work every day. At the time they WERE building a new freeway...or an off ramp, etc...and I often thought he was probably under it in a 50 gallon drum. To this day I still wonder and it wouldn't surprise me. So even adults had the same thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2014, 05:57 AM

11,650 posts, read 12,941,545 times
Ask the people aboard MH370.

Old 08-02-2014, 07:59 AM

3,563 posts, read 5,374,083 times
Watch Stallone's relatively unknown movie, F.I.S.T. Every union has a cycle. Hoffa completed his.
But understand the world that formed him: No one in the twenties and thirties had any govt. on their side
and corp. used outright thugs and murderers.

Leaders risk, and to risk is dangerous. Everyone else that follows reaps the benefits.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:10 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post
Watch Stallone's relatively unknown movie, F.I.S.T. Every union has a cycle. Hoffa completed his.
But understand the world that formed him: No one in the twenties and thirties had any govt. on their side

Leaders risk, and to risk is dangerous. Everyone else that follows reaps the benefits.
Big Government, and especially Big Government n the hands of pseudo-"progressives" and do-gooders pandering to overgrown children, is the worst gang of thugs among them all.

The most effective helping hand is the one at the end of your arm; if you don't recognize this, you're part of the problem.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:16 AM

3,046 posts, read 4,122,758 times
I use to live in Milford Michigan the FBI tore down a persons horse barn looking for Hoffa. Milford Michigan is allot of woods and back roads. The FBI never found him and replaced the horse barn with a brand new one. A bakery in town was selling cupcakes with two feet sticking up. They will never find Hoffa they have looked a a old lumber yard in Detroit and found nothing. Hoffa was cut up and put into a vat of acid. His son James P. Hoffa is now the Teamster's president. Jimmy Hoffa old local is 299 in Detroit.

Old 08-02-2014, 08:47 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
I read the book "I Heard You Paint Houses" (in the mob, "painting houses" is slang for killing people), in which Frank Sheeran (the author) claims to have killed Hoffa, and I believe every word of it.

Hoffa was brought to a house for a meeting and soon realized he'd been set up (he saw on entering that the people he was supposed to be meeting weren't there). When he turned to run out, Sheeran shot him. According to him, it was fast, but Hoffa did know that he'd been had. Reportedly, his body was cremated. In other words, enough with digging up stadium parking lots and farmland; he won't be found.

The book's a good read.

Old 08-02-2014, 01:13 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thedwightguy View Post

Yes, and it is fools who stand up for corporations and think they will take care of their workers. Some do, but it isn't the majority, and guys like Elon musk are the minority when it comes to taking care of your people.

In the West Coast waterfront strike in 1934 people died for the rights the working class have today. I think it is disrespectful to those who gave their lives for these people to claim unions are bad. They have fallen prey to the anti working class establishment and drank the Kool-Aid.

1934 West Coast waterfront strike - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-02-2014, 01:33 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,877,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Yes, and it is fools who stand up for corporations and think they will take care of their workers. Some do, but it isn't the majority, and guys like Elon musk are the minority when it comes to taking care of your people.

In the West Coast waterfront strike in 1934 people died for the rights the working class have today. I think it is disrespectful to those who gave their lives for these people to claim unions are bad. They have fallen prey to the anti working class establishment and drank the Kool-Aid.
Get off this topic, this is your second or third post on this thread and you are trying to divert the topic to your own agenda. The OP and the people here that are legitimately curious about his dissaperance don't care about your "working class hero" and "us workers vs. the Corporate Evildoers" B.S.

Hoffa was a two-bit thief, a criminal, a wanna-be mobster. The fact that he was head of a union was incidental and not relevant except it was the tool he used for his criminal activity. He was killed by other criminals and mobsters. It's as simple as that. The how, the where, and the when, is still unknown. It has nothing to do with your perceived corporate ills, the working class, "the establishment", or whatever your agenda is. I suggest you discuss your agenda in the P&C forum.

Old 08-02-2014, 02:06 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
There's an interesting parallel here to another murder case involving unionism -- the killing of Mine Workers dissident Joseph Yablonski and his family. After the three actual perpetrators had been convicted and "turned" (The apparent leader, Paul Gilly, was a house painter, BTW.) the trail led through UMW local in another part of the country, and eventually, to heir-apparent W. A. "Tony" Boyle himself.

The trail in the Hoffa case appears to lead through Philadelphia, which underwent a series of killings of high-ranking Mafiosi back around 1980, including boss Angelo Bruno and second-in-command Philip Testa. Frank Sheeran was spawned in that environment.

Sheeran has, in turn, been linked to the late Wilkes-Barre / Scranton capo Russell Bufalino, who maintained ties to organized crime families in New York, Buffalo, and Philadelphia. But the "Pittston (PA) family" has a long-standing reputation for pursuing power through political influence rather than raw muscle. In sixty years of residence in Northeastern Pennsylvania, I can recall only a handful of cases involving Mafia violence, most of them in the Hazleton area to the south of the Wyoming Valley.

http://www.messana.org/MEN%20OF%20MONTEDORO/men1.pdf

Bufalino did, however, maintain close connections to the late August Lippi, who reportedly exercised control over an enterprise known as the Knox Coal Company; which was engaged in the risky business. of extracting anthracite from low-lying underground mines. During the winter of 1958-59, The Susquehanna River broke through into a tunnel which had been driven under the riverbed, and too close to it. That incident too the lives of twelve men and brought an eventual end to the deep mining of anthracite in Pennsylvania.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Knox_Mine_disaster

A close friend from my college days, who was of Italian extraction and grew up near Newark, used to propose the idea that the Mafia would devolve into little more than a "regulated industry"; Given that the "Pittston family" continues its efforts to avoid public scrutiny, and is now headed by someone who started his "career" as Bufalino's chauffeur, I believe he has a case.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_D'Elia

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 08-02-2014 at 02:48 PM..

Old 08-02-2014, 04:56 PM

4,625 posts, read 12,287,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Where in the world did you get that? The general consensus was that he was "wacked" by the mafia/organized crime. There are many theories indeed, no theory mentions "corporate thug".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd714 View Post
Get off this topic, this is your second or third post on this thread and you are trying to divert the topic to your own agenda. The OP and the people here that are legitimately curious about his dissaperance don't care about your "working class hero" and "us workers vs. the Corporate Evildoers" B.S.

Hoffa was a two-bit thief, a criminal, a wanna-be mobster. The fact that he was head of a union was incidental and not relevant except it was the tool he used for his criminal activity. He was killed by other criminals and mobsters. It's as simple as that. The how, the where, and the when, is still unknown. It has nothing to do with your perceived corporate ills, the working class, "the establishment", or whatever your agenda is. I suggest you discuss your agenda in the P&C forum.
First, I'll post whatever I please, but I'll remember your little CD police badge you wear.

My theory holds as much weight and any other as all are unproven. Had you read the wiki link I posted you would have known that. You want to have a discussion then fine, but keep your bias to yourself unless you have more proof than anyone else.

Jimmy Hoffa - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

It is all BS until proven!

Come on, really. A guy comes in to current events and post a 39 year old topic, so I respond with an off the wall comment, because it has never been solved, and won't be solved on CD. His motive is to paint unions in a bad light by tying them to organized crime. I sure as hell have every right to defend unions in this thread. Why not start a thread about how big of a Gay crook J Edgar Hoover was, because it's the same damn thing.

Last edited by MrWillys; 08-02-2014 at 05:26 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events