U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 03:41 PM

788 posts, read 647,079 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I don't understand why cops cannot carry tranquilizer guns for dealing with animals if they are going to storm someone's backyard. There is no excuse for trespassing and shooting someone's pet. I can see if they are on the street and attacked by an animal. But if they know they are going onto someone's property, they must be aware that many people keep pets there. Frankly, though I appreciate how dangerous a cop's job is, it does seem like there have been a huge amount of incidents recently of cops using guns, weapons and force when they did not need to. There seems to be an increasing abuse of power and force among some police.
Because tranq darts don't work instantly, and if you're using a weapon against someone's pet it's because they pose an "immediate threat", allegedly. If you have time for a dart to work, you have time to step back, call animal control, and let them handle it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 03:48 PM

8,491 posts, read 5,867,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I don't understand why cops cannot carry tranquilizer guns for dealing with animals if they are going to storm someone's backyard. There is no excuse for trespassing and shooting someone's pet. I can see if they are on the street and attacked by an animal. But if they know they are going onto someone's property, they must be aware that many people keep pets there. Frankly, though I appreciate how dangerous a cop's job is, it does seem like there have been a huge amount of incidents recently of cops using guns, weapons and force when they did not need to. There seems to be an increasing abuse of power and force among some police.
That sounds like a good idea, but the problem is you have to know what you're doing for it to be effective. It depends on what type of animal you're dealing with, it's weight, type & dosage of tranquilizer, proficiency with a dart gun (not as easy as it looks), etc. Plus it takes time for tranquilizers to work, and depending on the situation, there may not be time to wait. I can't see any police dept. getting involved with the training that would be required to use tranquilizer guns effectively, not to mention equipping their officers with dart guns.
I'm in no way defending these officers actions. The situation could have, and should have, been handled differently. It's a policy failure in the police dept (and the governing body/city), and until this is addressed at that level, these incidents will continue to happen.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:20 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,277,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by catdad7x View Post
That sounds like a good idea, but the problem is you have to know what you're doing for it to be effective. It depends on what type of animal you're dealing with, it's weight, type & dosage of tranquilizer, proficiency with a dart gun (not as easy as it looks), etc. Plus it takes time for tranquilizers to work, and depending on the situation, there may not be time to wait. I can't see any police dept. getting involved with the training that would be required to use tranquilizer guns effectively, not to mention equipping their officers with dart guns.
I'm in no way defending these officers actions. The situation could have, and should have, been handled differently. It's a policy failure in the police dept (and the governing body/city), and until this is addressed at that level, these incidents will continue to happen.

Looking over the fence - with binoculars if necessary - and assessing the scene would have went a long way. Nope, Hothead cop has to hop in guns blazing and puts down innocent dog while child of braindead parents don't search thoroughly for hiding brat. I would send that family a card every year on my dog's birthday to let them know your dog died for their stupidity. Include a picure of his dead and bloody body.
The cops would get one as well addressed to Captain Piccard.

I bet those "parents" would turn their house upside down in a search for lost car keys or wallet...why not a kid? Did they quickly loose their addled minds and jump to conclusions instead and call the cops because it was more 'logical'?

I choose my dog over most people and certainly over most LEO. I never want LEO in my life; ever.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskink View Post
This was some seriously incompetent police work.

If anything, I find Kendall's response and requests to be incredibly reasonable and subdued. If a cop entered my fenced yard and shot my dog under similar circumstances - not having conducted a thorough search of the kid's own house - I think I'd be considerably more upset than Kendall was.
The federal government seeks to disarm the public for the reason some homeowner will put a few rounds into Rambo for doing what he did. I think the homeowner to be in the right for doing so. Why should anyone, much less a GOD-like LEO, be inside of your gated yard shooting your dog?
Local cops are starting to beat us down and oppress us. They do it in different ways but the results are often unpleasant.

Too bad this wasn't down south and homeowner saw the cop shoot his dog.

Old 08-03-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
I agree with you on most things - but not on this one. The shooting of that dog was absolutely unnecessary and $10,000 is not enough to discourage what, more and more, appears to be a continuing practice amongst our armed protectors.

Do you truly feel they are?

Old 08-03-2014, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post

1. The officer was searching for a missing child and missing children often hide or are found in backyards. I consider a missing child case an emergency, or an exigency. In such a situation a policeman should knock on the door and ask permission to look in the backyard. However, if the homeowner is not available or doesn't answer I can't criticize the choice he made.

2. Whether the kids parents were "morons" or not is irrelevant to me. The point is the kid was missing and possibly in danger.

3. Human beings and their safety should be more important to anyone than that of a dog. If that isn't the case for a particular individual than I suggest they reevaluate their value system.

The one argument I am sort of sympathetic too is the notion that maybe there was a way to check out the backyard safely without shooting Geist. The officer said he was endangered by the actions of the animal though and I am inclined to believe him.

The measure of damages in all other cases for an animal that is killed is the replacement cost of the animal. Some may not like that, but that's the way it is.

I have nothing in particular against dogs, but I don't put them on the same value scale as a human being.
Can't agree with a single word here, especially the value of dog versus human life. Too many humans are but pond scum, especially those who shoot dogs.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:11 PM

9,253 posts, read 9,322,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
Can't agree with a single word here, especially the value of dog versus human life. Too many humans are but pond scum, especially those who shoot dogs.
If your value system places the value of a dog above that of a human life than we aren't going to agree on anything.

I'm not a fan of people who anthropomorphize dogs, but I see plenty of that behavior today. IMO, its the result of or simply a manifestation of how antisocial many people in this country have become.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:21 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,003,827 times
Animal abuse activists say that a pet is killed every 98 minutes by thugs in Law Enforcement. Why are police shooting so many family dogs?

Cops are domestic terrorist, scared of their shadows. Service people, mail carriers, etc have to face people's pets daily and do so without harm to themselves or to the pets, but let a cop get involved and the pet dies! It's crazy that Americans tolerate these cowardly punks!

Old 08-03-2014, 05:36 PM

38,442 posts, read 15,061,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Animal abuse activists say that a pet is killed every 98 minutes by thugs in Law Enforcement. Why are police shooting so many family dogs?
A stunning article about dogs getting shot who are no threat to anyone. What is going on here?

Old 08-03-2014, 05:52 PM

409 posts, read 423,524 times
People always assume that humans "Did Something" to deserve what happened. People can be bad! People do wrong things.

Two reasons for that spring right to mind. One being that people themselves generally don't run the same mental software that the king's men do. They find it hard to emotionally comprehend that level of power-love and casual sadism and so reject the thought and settle on something more understandable, even if it is erroneous.

Two is that facing the reality that more and more we live in a society where members of the elite class can execute you with about the same consequences faced by a 16th century samurai who can do it for about the same reasons would leave people too terrified to exit their homes, so, denial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events