U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 05:57 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,245,308 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
If your value system places the value of a dog above that of a human life than we aren't going to agree on anything.

I'm not a fan of people who anthropomorphize dogs, but I see plenty of that behavior today. IMO, its the result of or simply a manifestation of how antisocial many people in this country have become.

I am generally reciprocal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2014, 08:13 PM

29,986 posts, read 16,580,107 times
Quote:
If your value system places the value of a dog above that of a human life than we aren't going to agree on anything.

I'm not a fan of people who anthropomorphize dogs, but I see plenty of that behavior today. IMO, its the result of or simply a manifestation of how antisocial many people in this country have become.
We're anti-social because we don't believe in the indiscriminate killing of a dog? A practice that seems to have become quite commonplace with the men in blue.

Sorry. Not buying it.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:34 PM

9,181 posts, read 9,263,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
We're anti-social because we don't believe in the indiscriminate killing of a dog? A practice that seems to have become quite commonplace with the men in blue.

Sorry. Not buying it.
I'm not saying everyone here is "anti-social" just because they disagree with me.

What I am saying is some here have clearly suggested that a dog occupies a higher place in their value system than a human being does. That is wrong and is anti-social.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:37 PM

5,599 posts, read 3,660,356 times
Quote:
1. The officer was searching for a missing child and missing children often hide or are found in backyards. I consider a missing child case an emergency, or an exigency. In such a situation a policeman should knock on the door and ask permission to look in the backyard. However, if the homeowner is not available or doesn't answer I can't criticize the choice he made.

2. Whether the kids parents were "morons" or not is irrelevant to me. The point is the kid was missing and possibly in danger.

3. Human beings and their safety should be more important to anyone than that of a dog. If that isn't the case for a particular individual than I suggest they reevaluate their value system.

The one argument I am sort of sympathetic too is the notion that maybe there was a way to check out the backyard safely without shooting Geist. The officer said he was endangered by the actions of the animal though and I am inclined to believe him.

The measure of damages in all other cases for an animal that is killed is the replacement cost of the animal. Some may not like that, but that's the way it is.

I have nothing in particular against dogs, but I don't put them on the same value scale as a human being.

Shoot a dog in this county on a man's land, he'd bury you in the hills, and tell the sheriff a month or two later.

He understands.

Quote:
I'm not saying everyone here is "anti-social" just because they disagree with me.

What I am saying is some here have clearly suggested that a dog occupies a higher place in their value system than a human being does. That is wrong and is anti-social.
Not really.

Met plenty of humans that a pile of dirt is of more value.

Old 08-03-2014, 08:49 PM

8,623 posts, read 6,245,308 times
Quote:

When your dog is less f'ed in the head than the average human it is quite easy. My dog is happy to be with me, follows me room to room just to be with me, doesn't give me grief as a woman always does, doesn't make regular messes I have to clean up after and likes whatever $$$ food I give him. He is a great walking/hiking companion, great travel companion and I can take him anywhere as everyone likes him and he is well behaved. People get disappointed if I don't bring him along with me. He is the 2nd son I never had. He doesn't make an A$$ of himself and doesn't drink to excess. He doesn't smoke my herb.

I can't say that about most humans.

He doesn't sleep with me but women do.

He's not a dog, he's a bull terrier.

Old 08-03-2014, 09:29 PM

858 posts, read 949,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
A stunning article about dogs getting shot who are no threat to anyone. What is going on here?
Cops brutalizing people more and more lately............now they're shooting dogs. Point of interest - in alien invasion scenarios, it's always the dogs that alert to the aliens first. Coincidence?

Old 08-04-2014, 12:06 AM

9,155 posts, read 8,660,734 times
Quote:
1. The officer was searching for a missing child and missing children often hide or are found in backyards. I consider a missing child case an emergency, or an exigency. In such a situation a policeman should knock on the door and ask permission to look in the backyard. However, if the homeowner is not available or doesn't answer I can't criticize the choice he made.

2. Whether the kids parents were "morons" or not is irrelevant to me. The point is the kid was missing and possibly in danger.
Except the child wasn't missing. He was asleep in his own house, and those don't look like particularly big houses. The parents were indeed morons.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:08 AM

2,739 posts, read 2,599,895 times
Pepper spray works effectively on dogs - end of story.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:27 AM

1,458 posts, read 2,223,344 times
Quote:

I'm with you, Mark.

I wouldn't characterize it as being antisocial, however.

I associate it with people be so very far removed from actually having to procure their own food and protect their own lives. When you have literally never had to kill an animal in order to eat, have never even seen it done, it becomes very easy to live in denial as to the natural state of things. From there, it is even simpler to imagine oneself quite enlightened because you value the animal whose feces you clean up for its entire 10 year lifespan over that of a child who may lead, invent something great or parent someone else who does.

And then eat a cheeseburger for dinner, while wearing leather sneakers. A high level of cognitive dissonance in play.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:07 AM

5,599 posts, read 3,660,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bamford View Post
Pepper spray works effectively on dogs - end of story.
That's all postal workers are allowed to carry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events