U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 07:25 AM

30,054 posts, read 16,613,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
I'm with you, Mark.

I wouldn't characterize it as being antisocial, however.

I associate it with people be so very far removed from actually having to procure their own food and protect their own lives. When you have literally never had to kill an animal in order to eat, have never even seen it done, it becomes very easy to live in denial as to the natural state of things. From there, it is even simpler to imagine oneself quite enlightened because you value the animal whose feces you clean up for its entire 10 year lifespan over that of a child who may lead, invent something great or parent someone else who does.

And then eat a cheeseburger for dinner, while wearing leather sneakers. A high level of cognitive dissonance in play.
You know what they say about assumptions . . . .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 07:36 AM

741 posts, read 725,487 times
Quote:
I'm with you, Mark.

I associate it with people be so very far removed from actually having to procure their own food and protect their own lives. When you have literally never had to kill an animal in order to eat, have never even seen it done, it becomes very easy to live in denial as to the natural state of things. From there, it is even simpler to imagine oneself quite enlightened because you value the animal whose feces you clean up for its entire 10 year lifespan over that of a child who may lead, invent something great or parent someone else who does.

And then eat a cheeseburger for dinner, while wearing leather sneakers. A high level of cognitive dissonance in play.
This is just absurd.

First off, this wasn't a hypothetical case of "a kid and a dog is drowning and you can only save one" and someone picking the dog. It was a case of a cop going into someones backyard, the dog doing its job and the cop shooting the dog. Crap situation all around complicated by the fact that the cop was doing his job but likely another demonstration of a trigger-happy ******* who needs to be flipping burgers. There are those who shoot out of necessity, there are those who shoot because they can and they think they can get away with it.

Secondly, dogs have been selectively bred for thousands of years to serve man. They most certainly do occupy a higher space on the natural worlds pecking order of importance than a beef cow bred for slaughter within the same logical auspices that might see someone value an elephant over a mosquito.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:55 AM

210 posts, read 189,578 times
You enter my yard without my permission and shoot my animal because it's protecting the home while I'm away, hell yeah I want you fired. Common sense did not prevail in this case and that officer should be gotten rid of.

Old 08-04-2014, 08:36 AM

322 posts, read 445,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaba View Post
People get the governments they deserve.

The consequence of apathy is a bureaucratic system that no longer fears the people its supposed to serve.
If Watergate had occurred today, Nixon wouldn't have resigned. He would've denied it and been re-elected, simply because the populace today is too busy/stupid/preoccupied/distracted by other things.

Is the Police Chief of Salt Lake City an elected position? Because if it is, he stated he's OK with this situation and the people of Salt Lake City re-elect him, they deserve this and all that follow. If it isn't and they aren't in their local government demanding policy change, they likewise deserve this and all that follow.

People get the governments, the police, the countries they deserve.
This is pretty much how I see it.

In the state where I live, you barely have the oppurtunity to protect your family members with a firearm against a violent intruder in your own home. Doing so will net you about a 50/50 shot at having criminal charges thrown in your direction. Meanwhile, the gestapo-in-blue can trespass onto private property unannounced with guns blazing and zero happens. Anyone who doesn't see an issue with this has their head in the sand.

Old 08-04-2014, 10:42 AM

5,618 posts, read 3,666,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shayla2go View Post
You enter my yard without my permission and shoot my animal because it's protecting the home while I'm away, hell yeah I want you fired. Common sense did not prevail in this case and that officer should be gotten rid of.

It's a dogs job to keep people out of where you leave him.

House.

Car.

Yard.

Old 08-04-2014, 04:24 PM
eok

6,684 posts, read 3,171,794 times
A lot of people are missing an important point here. How much you value human life over a dog's life is not the real issue. The real issue is that the cop is not fit to be a cop, and is a danger to every human he comes in contact with on the job. Both he and the chief of police should be fired, and there should be a federal law that cops carry non-lethal weapons such as pepper spray, and that they have to be on the job for at least 10 years before they're allowed to carry guns. What happened to the dog just tells us what could happen to a human if the same cop is allowed to continue on the same job with the same attitude. A lot of cops are motivated to become cops because they're that type of person. If we want to live in a free country, it's critically important that we not allow that type of person to be a cop. Requiring 10 years on the job with pepper spray, and no incidents of misusing it, is an efficient way to find out which cops are fit to be cops. Every other profession, you have to work your way up. Why not cops? That cop would never have had the patience to work his way up. He wanted to be trigger happy already. So the 10 year requirement would have been exactly what would have prevented him from being a cop, and saved the dog and/or whoever else he might have killed in different circumstances.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:37 PM
eok

Quote:
I'm with you, Mark.

People seem to be conflating this situation with a situation where a cop has to choose between shooting a dog and shooting a child. There was no such situation. The cop was a monster. He's dangerous. He should not ever be allowed access to guns again. It's lucky his victim was a dog this time.

We live in a high-violent-crime country because we like to let violent felons out of jail. And keep cops employed who commit violent crimes. He needs to be convicted of a felony, to make sure he never has access to guns again. Cheeseburgers and leather sneakers have nothing to do with it.

Old 08-04-2014, 06:52 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm not saying everyone here is "anti-social" just because they disagree with me.

What I am saying is some here have clearly suggested that a dog occupies a higher place in their value system than a human being does. That is wrong and is anti-social.
Actually, human beings are at the top, then dogs, then mosquitoes, then cops. Especially the kind of cop who would casually shoot a dog without making any reasonable effort to avoid that kind of confrontation. Careless violent people need to not have access to guns, if we ever want to live in civilization. What we have now, with this kind of casual thoughtless shooting seemingly everywhere, is not civilization.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:03 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by waviking24 View Post
I think the officer was in the right here and agree with you 100%.
You agree with who 100%? You're saying the officer was in the right to trespass on private property and shoot the owner's dog? As if he had not yet met his daily quota of shootings? Shouldn't he have been at the house where the child was reported missing, and shouldn't he have been searching that house?

What if the owner of the dog had shot the cop? Not to defend his dog, but because the cop was clearly violently insane, and the owner had a reasonable expectation that he would be the next victim. Then the owner would be in jail. But the cop is not in jail. Part of the meaning of "fascism" is that cops have more rights than citizens do. They can stomp citizens without going to jail, but citizens can't stomp cops without going to jail. You have to work for the fascist government to wear the jackboots. Fascism may be the inevitable end of our system of government. People who support this kind of action by cops are a big part of the reason for that end.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:15 PM
eok

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
The child was found at home, which tells me that a thorough search of the home was not conducted before the police spread throughout the neighborhood. Small children (if I recall correctly, this child was three) are generally found in their own home or yard.

Trying to figure out how the officer thought the kid got into Geist's backyard, anyway, since the gate latch was above the child's reach. And why the police didn't call animal control rather than shooting a dog that was obviously in the yard.
Because they shot the dog for fun, obviously. What fun would it have been to call animal control? It's not as if animal control had the right to impound the dog, if it was licensed and bothering nobody in its own backyard. Violent psychopaths sign up to be cops so they can legally exercise violent power over others. That should be obvious to a lot more people than it is.

If they hadn't wanted to shoot the dog, they could easily have found another way to get around it. There were a bunch of cops and dogs there. Several non-wimp cops (the only kind that should ever be hired) could have grabbed the dog and held it while a couple of others searched. Then, when they got bored with the search, they could have gone back to the boy's house and found him in the basement. But what fun would that have been? No bang bang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events