Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:37 AM

409 posts, read 510,461 times

Advertisements

Campus bake sales—a mainstay of school fundraisers—are going on a diet. A federal law that aims to curb childhood obesity means that, in dozens of states, bake sales must adhere to nutrition requirements that could replace cupcakes and brownies with fruit cups and granola bars.

New Ban Hits School Bake Sales
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2014, 08:15 AM

16,214 posts, read 11,276,913 times
Its a pity we taxpayers can't put the NEA and the Federal busybodies on a "diet".

Old 08-06-2014, 08:26 AM

23,795 posts, read 13,189,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Its a P\pity we can't put the NEA and the Federal busybodies on a "diet".
So you are pro-obesity? What's with this country and people getting up in arms over eating normally? Are you aware of what the health care costs associated with obesity are? Or that Americans have a reputation all over the world for being overweight? Geez--I can't believe people are so into fighting for their right to be fat, eat the crappiest food possible and not get any exercise. Nothing like cutting off your nose to spite your face. You can stuff your kids with cake at home. Raising the public consciousness about food is no different than raising it about smoking or drugs.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:42 AM

2,216 posts, read 2,922,207 times
I do agree with ensuring that the lunches, snacks and beverages provided at school are nutritious HOWEVER I don't think that PTA or other club sponsored fund raisers should apply and it's a shame that some states are taking liberty enforcing this on those types of events when the federal government has allowed them to have exemptions in that area.

How horrible is a bake sale where parents and students come together for the good of raising funds for extracurricular activities that are VERY much needed especially in today's world? Kudos to TN for not following in the footsteps of those other 32 states and understanding the importance of these events even if it means one may eat a cupcake or two....sheesh!

Old 08-06-2014, 08:46 AM

17,273 posts, read 9,508,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
Its a pity we taxpayers can't put the NEA and the Federal busybodies on a "diet".
Maybe you should read the article first. Each state can mandate the number of daytime fundraisers held each year that buck the nutrition requirements. Blame the states, not the feds.

I don't recall ever having bake sales while I was in school so I just shrug & say whatever over this. No need to get worked up over something so miniscule.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:49 AM

3,515 posts, read 3,669,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emanon13 View Post
Campus bake sales—a mainstay of school fundraisers—are going on a diet. A federal law that aims to curb childhood obesity means that, in dozens of states, bake sales must adhere to nutrition requirements that could replace cupcakes and brownies with fruit cups and granola bars.

New Ban Hits School Bake Sales

Good luck funding field trips to D.C. with fruit cups and granola bars.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 AM

9,150 posts, read 10,851,723 times
Way back in 1984, long before Baby Boomers were old enough to become obese enough that those younger than them could pick on them for (socially acceptable) weight issues instead of (socially unacceptable) age issues, a friend who would eventually become very foodophobic raged about the benefits of granola uber ice cream.

One day I read the label -- when did Nutrition Facts first appear? -- on his box of Quaker granola, and it had at least an equal amount of carbohydrates as my Haagen-Dazs Butter Pecan. And I think the granola had trans fats as well. But most important -- and all, really, most would have noted at the time -- his granola had more calories per serving than my ice cream.

So stick that up your granola bar and blow.

Last edited by jay5835; 08-06-2014 at 09:43 AM..

Old 08-06-2014, 09:43 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,174,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So you are pro-obesity?
You need a Federal law for that?

Old 08-06-2014, 09:52 AM

2,987 posts, read 5,235,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
Way back in 1984, long before Baby Boomers were old enough to become obese enough that those younger than them could pick on them for (socially acceptable) weight issues instead of (socially unacceptable) age issues, a friend who would eventually become very foodophobic raged about the benefits of granola uber ice cream.

One day I read the label -- when did Nutrition Facts first appear? -- on his box of Quaker granola, and it had at least an equal amount of carbohydrates as my Haagen-Dazs Butter Pecan. And I think the granola had trans fats as well. But most important -- and all, really, most would have noted at the time -- his granola had more calories per serving than my ice cream.

So stick that up your granola bar and blow.
so are you saying ice cream is better for you than granola bars? Or just granola on your ice cream is worse than butter pecan ice cream? Not sure here...

Old 08-06-2014, 09:55 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,447,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
So you are pro-obesity? What's with this country and people getting up in arms over eating normally? Are you aware of what the health care costs associated with obesity are? Or that Americans have a reputation all over the world for being overweight? Geez--I can't believe people are so into fighting for their right to be fat, eat the crappiest food possible and not get any exercise. Nothing like cutting off your nose to spite your face. You can stuff your kids with cake at home. Raising the public consciousness about food is no different than raising it about smoking or drugs.
School bake sales are not responsible for obesity. There is nothing wrong with a treat now and again. In my school the science club sells donuts and fruit on final exam days and earns enough to fund the club. They do this 8 days a year. Do you really think stopping this is going to have any impact on childhood obesity? If you do I have a bridge I'd like to sell you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events