Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2014, 07:34 PM

2,365 posts, read 2,148,500 times

Advertisements

IF indeed the guy was stealing, I feel he was desperate to do so. You have to be desperate to take your family (the wife) to a planned shoplifting spree, clearly using your personal vehicle as the getaway car, of relatively unvalueable stuff.

He wasnt violent at all, and respectfully answered the idiot with the phone. He could have just grabbed the phone on the way out, if he was a theif, and then guess what? Unless Walmart has video, it never happened. *shrugs*

Maybe he is just a concerned parent looking to get away from an odd and aggressive stranger? *shrugs*

Why is the guy with the phone an idiot, one may ask? Because if the guy was a violent common criminal, that fool could be dead now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2014, 04:57 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,317,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sobaloba View Post
Yeah, OK. Maybe I'd feel badly for him if he was stealing in Uganda, but in America that guy gets lots of social support. That means he blew that support money on gambling or drugs/alcohol and is now helping himself to more. And you fell for it. He needs less support, not more.
That's ridiculous. What kind of support do you think is out there for people down on their luck? Get real. Government support is NOT given to people in the form of cash. Housing support is given in the form of HOUSING, not cash. Medical assistance is given in the form of Medicaid, an insurance that is paid directly to service providers, not cash to the recipients. Food assistance is given in the form of what is called an EBT card, not cash or even "food stamps" anymore. An EBT reads bar codes and ONLY food products (and not immediately consumable food items) may be purchased on it. He could get milk, but NOT toilet paper, diapers, soap, drug store items, sandwiches, or alcohol products. What people against public assistance disparagingly call an "Obamaphone" (even though these phones were distributed to the poor long before Obama was ever president) can only buy a certain number of minutes of talk and a certain number of texts. The purpose for them is for safety and people to be able to find employment. Many people do not have land lines these days, and certainly not many poor people.

As for the car this person was driving ... is it not possible that he had it BEFORE he became unemployed and desperate? When my company went bankrupt and I lost my job with no warning was I supposed to sell my car so I didn't have to accept unemployment compensation?

Your assumptions are delusional. You want to think bad things about the poor, so you tell yourself these untruths to justify your miserliness.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:16 AM

19,839 posts, read 12,099,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Oh yeah. Because I have Internet (for my and my spouse's online classes) that must mean I'm not actually broke. Sure, man.

I wonder where this was. Maybe, maybe in places like suburban Chicago or NY or LA. I have lived in some very seedy places, hell I live in the hood right now. I see people selling all kinds of stolen goods....never have I ever seen anyone sell diapers and TP. "Yo man got that TP on deck..." That' sjust my personal experience, however. I have the feeling if he was trying to sell diapers on the blackmarket he'd have stolen more than 1 box.

It's a 2002 or 2003 Navigator. Average mileage per year is 15,000. Means that car probably has 165,000+ miles. KBB prices it at $4900 for a private seller. Means he'd probably IRL get $4000-44500 at best for it. Not exactly a shiny new luxury car.

Maybe he's not lucky enough to have a job? Maybe he's applied at tons of places but no one calls him back? You know the state of the economy, yes? How hard it is to find a job these days? I sure do first hand. I live in a city of 205,000 that has tons of businesses. I have applied at....probably well over 100 of them over the past several months. No luck. I would love to get up at 4 in the morning if it meant getting paid. I have 4 kids. I can easily see how someone would get desperate enough to steal diapers and TP from the richest corporation in the world.
Or maybe he's just a thief.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:19 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,293,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowne View Post
Or maybe he's just a thief.
Yeah, it is easy to discredit a heartfelt post of truth with a one liner.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWillys View Post
Yeah, it is easy to discredit a heartfelt post of truth with a one liner.
No, the point is obvious that the man in the video STOLE a cart full of merchandise...that makes him a thief.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
No, the point is obvious that the man in the video STOLE a cart full of merchandise...that makes him a thief.
The thread topic is not about the obvious (we know he's a thief), but rather why he was driven to do it. The post you dismissed was a well thought out argument presented by the poster you failed to disprove with a credible argument, so you used a I know you are but what am I argument. This may be deeper than you're capable of comprehending, but give it a try.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:44 AM

Quote:
The thread topic is not about the obvious (we know he's a thief), but rather why he was driven to do it. The post you dismissed was a well thought out argument presented by the poster you failed to disprove with a credible argument, so you used a I know you are but what am I argument. This may be deeper than you're capable of comprehending, but give it a try.
No personal attacks, please.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:52 AM

Quote:
No personal attacks, please.
It is not an attack, but rather an attempt at educating your understanding of the subject matter. The discussion is why was he a thief, and not is he a thief.

Old 08-10-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
It is not an attack, but rather an attempt at educating your understanding of the subject matter. The discussion is why was he a thief, and not is he a thief.
He is a thief because he has no morals or values. How is that for you? Or am I supposed to wax eternally about how this poor man HAD to steal a cart full of merchandise? And, quite frankly, saying "this may be deeper than you are capable of comprehending" IS a personal attack which is a violation of TOS.

Old 08-10-2014, 07:08 AM

13,754 posts, read 13,320,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Oh, well, since he stole PRACTICAL things, then his stealing is just fine.

I hope he and the woman who was driving are caught, charged, convicted, and jailed ... not that I think that will happen.
ditto
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events