Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2014, 01:45 PM

5,198 posts, read 5,278,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas 1945 View Post
To the posters who seem to be upset that we are discussing -the why -of this suicide, he was a celebrity.

Discussions like this are common when a celebrity commits suicide.

Goes with the territory !
I would rather we talk about it than sweep it under the rug.

Imagine those suffering without his money or fame or resources.

If one person gets help because of this, how can it be a bad thing??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 01:47 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,560,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Agreed. He has made me laugh and his movies have brought me joy ever since I was a child. I have seen Mrs Doubtfire, Aladdin, Flubber and Jumanji hundreds of times. I may have never met him, but I definitely feel as though I know him somehow. A distant uncle as someone else said. He made me laugh. He amazed me with his roles in movies like Awakenings and Dead Poet's Society. Not to disrespect the murder victims or their families, but I don't know them. I am sad for them, and I wish it wouldn't happen...but that's not what this thread is about.
I wasn't trying to be disrespectful either. But honestly, of course people are going to be upset about a celebrity death. Especially a celebrity like Robin Williams who was just beloved by so many from the first time we saw him. I don't know how anyone can find fault in that.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:08 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,810,789 times
I am still so sad. I never really payed a great deal of attention to him outside of his movies but he was big part of my childhood too and every actor/actress who would work with him always had such great things to say about him. I understand the loss people felt with Whitney Houston and the like but this is the first celeb passing that has actually affected me personally. I literally had a harder time sleeping last night because of this. It's just crazy to think if even he can't be satisfied with his life with all that money and success then how am I supposed to be when I have no hope of ever getting a job? I don't know.
I know it was probly due to genetics and heart disease and even though it's the first that has affected me I'm just tired of all this bad news. I feel like I hear more about these things lately than ever before. I need some good news in my life and I'm not getting much of it.

Anyway I know this is not about me though, I know his family must be feeling 10 times worse since they would see him everyday, hope they can find peace. I guess I just find passings like this harder because I think of my grandma passing away who I was really close to (she didn't commit but she had a DNR). I know he wouldn't want us to be sad for him just like my grandma didn't. It's just how do you go on? How do you be happy with your life when people better than you are giving up?

Last edited by Nickchick; 08-12-2014 at 02:16 PM..

Old 08-12-2014, 02:13 PM

13,055 posts, read 18,116,584 times
He had fortune, fame, talent, family and a huge fan base......."seemingly, he had it all" but he obviously had no inner peace. To me, the saddest part is that the depressed often don't have the ability to verbalize the torment that they are feeling and/or the ability to see a way out of pain and thus, suicide is an answer.

Heard one talking head say " Robin was so fast, he was always on". Perhaps that was too large a burden to bear as the depression surrounded him. RIP, your torment is done.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:21 PM

3,595 posts, read 6,947,113 times
Suicide may be a choice, but his depression most certainly was not.

Also, how much choice do you really feel like you have when everything inside of you screams pain and sadness. I know I would have a hard time dealing with such an emotional onslaught all the time.

Please let's not judge the man, he was a brave and considerate soul, and deserves respect in his untimely passing.

Old 08-12-2014, 02:53 PM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochamajesty View Post
I would rather we talk about it than sweep it under the rug.

Imagine those suffering without his money or fame or resources.

If one person gets help because of this, how can it be a bad thing??
Exactly! I was in my car this morning and the DJs on the classic rock station were discussing the death, and one of them said, "PLEASE, if anyone out there is listening and feeling as if they can't go on anymore, PLEASE, PLEASE call a doctor or a hotline and get help."

Old 08-12-2014, 03:03 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,449,641 times
If anyone is interested, there is also a thread on the Celebrities forum under Entertainment where people are posting about Robin Williams. There are lots of links to videos there.

Old 08-12-2014, 03:42 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
Apparently she last saw him at about 10:30PM on August 10th before she went to bed. At an unknown time after this he went into a different room, shut the door and....damn I wonder what was going through his head. I can;t imagine. I wonder if he was acting any different. Probably not...acting was his job...man oh man. I just read that she left to run errand at 10:30 AM the next morning and figured he was still asleep. Williams' personal assistant found him at ~11:45AM. How horrible for his wife to know that she could have walked right by his room as he was hanging. Just tragic.

Officials: Robin Williams apparently hanged himself - CNN.com
Yeah, I know that now. When I posted they hadn't done the press conference yet.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:37 PM

1,156 posts, read 1,968,262 times
Williams has touched so many lives in so many ways, it is sad to hear that he is gone. I still don't want to believe it, I've watched so many of his movies and even some of his stand ups, it's hard to believe that he is really gone, especially from suicide. It's so hard for me to believe that someone who has brought so much laughter and cheer to the world has taken his own life. My thoughts go out to all who knew him and loved him.

Old 08-12-2014, 04:57 PM

412 posts, read 684,686 times
I feel sorry for his family and the person who had to find his body and possibly try to revive him. I understand depression is a disease but killing himself and leaving it to his family or close associates to find his body makes me angry. Robin Williams was an excellent comic and actor but I really wish the thought of making his family witness his dead body had given him pause.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events