Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2014, 08:47 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,563,286 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
So I guess I am different. I never liked Robin Williams. I thought he was bordering on obnoxious and not at all funny. I don't go for his kind of humor. Of course, I feel sorry for his apparent suicide which is awful and may he rest in peace.
I honestly did not find his humor that funny either. In some instances during interviews he seemed like he HAD to be in "funny mode" and it sometimes seemed forced. Maybe that was his cross to bear, always thinking he had to be funny. Who knows. I did think he was a brilliant actor though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 09:01 AM

1,096 posts, read 1,047,308 times
Nobody cares about Robin Williams. He died. Don't care.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:14 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martha Anne View Post
So I guess I am different. I never liked Robin Williams. I thought he was bordering on obnoxious and not at all funny. I don't go for his kind of humor. Of course, I feel sorry for his apparent suicide which is awful and may he rest in peace.
He wasn't just a comedian though. Have you seen any of his dramatic roles? He was really extraordinary. "Patch Adams" was one of my favorites. There was some of his humor in it, but it was a really moving performance. If you want a truly non-typical Robin Williams performance, check out "One Hour Photo"

Old 08-13-2014, 09:15 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,273,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
The size of this thread, in addition to the number of threads across C-D suggest otherwise. Go troll elsewhere.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:38 AM

7,329 posts, read 16,425,831 times
This is a question for the psychology forum, but why after someone famous dies, no matter who it is, is there always someone who feels compelled to say "Who cares?" Maybe you don't care about that person, but that fact doesn't impress anyone. And whether you like someone's acting, musicianship, politics, comedy, or whatever, it's a human being. Unless they're a serial killer or something, that's enough that it should make someone care just a little.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:44 AM

13,721 posts, read 19,258,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApePeeD View Post
A lot more people care about Robin Williams than will ever care about you.

When you die, there will probably be a lot of people who don't care, but I'm guessing they will have the decency not to say so out of respect for you and those who love you.

Last edited by luzianne; 08-13-2014 at 11:13 AM..

Old 08-13-2014, 09:57 AM

398 posts, read 471,175 times
People do care. He has 7 million subscribers on Facebook, so obviously 7 million people on the internet found him funny enough to subscribe to him.

I always found him hilarious. One comedian I never found funny, though, is Jim Carey. Adam Sandler can also be added to that list. Robin was a fantastic dramatic actor, along with his comedic roles, so even if I found him not funny, I'd still appreciate the movies he's been in.

That being said, it is sad whenever anybody who's a good hearted person dies.

Old 08-13-2014, 09:58 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Manic Depression does not quite work that way. It is not that you are happy on the outside and depressed on the inside. You are not suffering and showing the opposite to the world. What you show to the world is accurate.... _at the time_ you are showing it.

Rather what happens is you are full of life and joy and happiness and energy some of the time.... the the total opposite the rest of the time.

The issue there being that while you are on a high.... you go out.... people see you.... you see them..... you are very entertaining, energetic, charismatic, and people remember you. They think this is how you are.

When you are on the LOW however.... you do not go out.... you sometimes can not even get out of bed.... you are as miserable as miserable gets to a depth many people can not even imagine let alone have experienced.... and because no one sees you no one even KNOWS you have these downs. They just think of the happy person they saw yesterday or last week and wonder where they are.

So when you saw Williams full of life and comedy and humour and charisma.... he was not hiding the pain on the inside. He likely was not even FEELING any such pain at that time. He felt every bit as happy and euphoric as he appeared to. Carrie Fisher describes it as "When you are galloping along at a great speed it is better than any drug you can ever take. It feels like god is saving you parking spots and the songs on the radio are just for you. You are enthusiastic about everyone and everyone is enthusiastic about you".

The pain comes behind closed doors when no one is seeing you.

I repeat my advice to watch the Stephen Fry Documentary on manic depression. To serve my point he titled the documentary "
The Secret Life Of The Manic Depressive"
So true. I have a bi-polar friend. Hers is not as severe as some, but I see the swings. One day I'll be at her house and she's been creating three new gardens in her backyard and we're barbecuing and having a ball. Then a few weeks later I stop hearing from her, and I find out she's been under the blankets with a bag of Doritos for a week.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:00 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,464,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post
Manic Depression does not quite work that way. It is not that you are happy on the outside and depressed on the inside. You are not suffering and showing the opposite to the world. What you show to the world is accurate.... _at the time_ you are showing it.

Rather what happens is you are full of life and joy and happiness and energy some of the time.... the the total opposite the rest of the time.

The issue there being that while you are on a high.... you go out.... people see you.... you see them..... you are very entertaining, energetic, charismatic, and people remember you. They think this is how you are.

When you are on the LOW however.... you do not go out.... you sometimes can not even get out of bed.... you are as miserable as miserable gets to a depth many people can not even imagine let alone have experienced.... and because no one sees you no one even KNOWS you have these downs. They just think of the happy person they saw yesterday or last week and wonder where they are.

So when you saw Williams full of life and comedy and humour and charisma.... he was not hiding the pain on the inside. He likely was not even FEELING any such pain at that time. He felt every bit as happy and euphoric as he appeared to. Carrie Fisher describes it as "When you are galloping along at a great speed it is better than any drug you can ever take. It feels like god is saving you parking spots and the songs on the radio are just for you. You are enthusiastic about everyone and everyone is enthusiastic about you".

The pain comes behind closed doors when no one is seeing you.

I repeat my advice to watch the Stephen Fry Documentary on manic depression. To serve my point he titled the documentary "The Secret Life Of The Manic Depressive"
Great, excellent how you explained this, people often want to believe that because a person seems to have moments of great joy, that this is them hiding what they are really feeling in the moment. When he was performing he was for sure feeling great happiness, that wasn't him pretending. Mr Williams giving others the gift of laughter gave him in return a great deal of joy. Depression is like that manic or other kinds.

RIP Robin Williams, it will be a while before many stop talking about this and even in death, you are giving of yourself. Thank you.

Old 08-13-2014, 10:14 AM

88,584 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundofsilence82 View Post
People do care. He has 7 million subscribers on Facebook, so obviously 7 million people on the internet found him funny enough to subscribe to him.

I always found him hilarious. One comedian I never found funny, though, is Jim Carrey. Adam Sandler can also be added to that list. Robin was a fantastic dramatic actor, along with his comedic roles, so even if I found him not funny, I'd still appreciate the movies he's been in.

That being said, it is sad whenever anybody who's a good hearted person dies.
I'm with you on Jim Carrey. I find him annoying. But I would not be happy if he died in a terrible manner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events