Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 12:56 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
It's raised a fortune, from what I've only recently learned was an underfunded condition.
Ah. What would you say contributes to your ignorance? Lack of education? Carelessness?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 01:15 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,497,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
Ah. What would you say contributes to your ignorance? Lack of education? Carelessness?
Wow. That was rude. Care to elaborate? Ignorance, sure. I was not aware how underfunded this condition is. I was made aware. I learned. That's what smart people do.

Old 08-22-2014, 06:21 AM

5,481 posts, read 8,578,205 times
Problem I'm seeing is that its become a fad and many people doing and issuing the challenge dont even know the true meaning behind it. They've turned it into some sort of joke.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:34 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
Problem I'm seeing is that its become a fad and many people doing and issuing the challenge dont even know the true meaning behind it. They've turned it into some sort of joke.
So what if some people do it as a joke? The fact remains that MUCH more money has been raised in a short time because of this campaign than had ever been raised in a similar time frame. People have been doing silly things for noble causes for a long time---a pie in the principal's face for meeting school goals, people shaving their heads, dunk tanks, etc.

Personally I thought it was a brilliant piece of marketing---the fact that each person who does it nominates 3 (often more) others, so of course it has grown exponentially. I have found it fun to see how outrageous and creative some people/groups have been, like the Zac Brown Band, or the guy who had the zamboni dump ice on him, or Bill Gates's contraption.

Without this fun factor, if it had been just "another plea for donations to a worthy cause," how many people would have taken notice? Not NEARLY as many as have this summer.

I find it pathetic that some people complain about this fundraiser, like it is such an inconvenience to have to scroll past Ice Bucket Challenge videos if they don't want to watch them. Yeah, that's is soooo troubling, isn't it? How about asking someone who body is being destroyed by ALS if their disease is troubling to them.....and then stop your whining.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:40 AM

5,792 posts, read 5,107,619 times
I want to challenge Putin and Xi Jinping. How about the Pope?

I do agree that it's for a great cause, and for once, something stupid is actually doing something good.

Old 08-22-2014, 07:49 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
It's raised a fortune, from what I've only recently learned was an underfunded condition.
And ALS will still be around to plague people for many years, like the "overfunded" conditions still are.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:03 AM

6,472 posts, read 6,678,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
And ALS will still be around to plague people for many years, like the "overfunded" conditions still are.
You act like cures for major killers have never been found. Why do you think the average life expectancy has grown from 48 years of age in 1900 to 75 by the year 2000? Drugs, vaccines, surgeries, organ transplants, and other medical treatments have made a huge difference for people with various forms of leukemia and other cancers, heart disease, AIDS, communicable diseases, life-threatening allergies, severe burns, complications of childbirth, and on and on.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:05 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
You mean like polio? Or are you talking about something like Breast Cancer which has had a survival rate increase more than double over the years?

Old 08-22-2014, 08:09 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deevel79 View Post
As long as it's putting money into the charity I don't care. Don't care what peoples motivations are, if they are just being attention ho's that know nothing about the cause....just don't care.

Those of you annoyed by all this have a bad case of 1st world problems.

Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,272,887 times
I'm afraid we'll never see the end of this. Now I'm starting to see copycat challenges. The latest was a challenge for Alzheimer's where people have to video themselves saying tongue twisters six times and then challenge more people to do the same.

Sigh. So over the videos. I wish FB had a feature to block any posts that contain a video.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events