Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2014, 06:56 AM

5,570 posts, read 7,268,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
but come on,,,, depression ?? when you have more than 99.9% of us????

why not enjoy what you have??
I know its a sickness or a disease,,,but damn,,, id like to live in a 35 million dollar house for a day!
You clearly do not understand depression.

Someone in another thread said it perfectly ... Depression is a bright sunny day, a bunch of money in your pocket, the world at your feet, and you still want to crawl up into the fetal position.

It doesn't matter how good your life is. Once depression takes over, it's all-consuming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 06:59 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
No matter how much money you have it's always best to live like you're poor.

Even if you win a $100,000,000 lottery, it's wise to just keep driving $1,500 beaters and living in a $100,000 home. If you keep living as if you're poor when you have that kind of money, you'll never go broke.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:00 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I see all of the problems as interrelated. People who are manic depressive like Robin Williams are usually not good at managing money and can't maintain long term relationships (divorce is expensive)....So put all that together and it's not surprising he was broke & suicidal.
There is absolutely no indication that Robin Williams was bi-polar (the correct term for "manic depressive"). He openly discussed the fact that he suffered from DEPRESSION. The two illnesses are totally and completely different, much the same way as Type 2 diabetes is different from Type 1 diabetes. Similar names, different diseases.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:03 AM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy-Schmancy View Post
Depression is not cured by wealth, love, or a big house. I know. I have more than most people...and I have depression. It's a bio-chemical reaction in the brain and it's a heavy load to carry. Sometimes people get so tired out by it that they kill themselves.............
There are dozens and dozens of comments about depression that show how poorly it is understood by most people. I believe you have a good grasp of what depression is. And is not.

Depression is still seen as a weakness of character by most people. Medication is called a "crutch". It is, indeed, a crutch, and a good one at that. If someone had a broken leg should he turn down a crutch? No. But if that same person suffers from depression he is advised to "toughen up". Or asked what he has to be depressed "about".

It will always be like that, I suppose.

BOL to you!

Old 08-18-2014, 07:05 AM

223 posts, read 300,166 times
Default Robin Williams Financial Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexgds View Post
You clearly do not understand depression.

Someone in another thread said it perfectly ... Depression is a bright sunny day, a bunch of money in your pocket, the world at your feet, and you still want to crawl up into the fetal position.

It doesn't matter how good your life is. Once depression takes over, it's all-consuming.
Absolutely! How can anyone say that wealthy people do not have depression? His kind of depression was not situational. It was clinical...caused by low levels of neurotransmitters in the brain. Anybody can have clinical depression...no matter how wealthy.

The only thing I would add to the description of depression that was posted is that after you crawl up into the fetal position, you want to pull a blanket over your head.

Old 08-18-2014, 07:43 AM

223 posts, read 300,166 times
I know this is purely coincidental, but has anyone else noticed that Robin Williams hyper (but much loved) personality/behavior is kind of like Michael J. Fox's? Both have Parkinson's. Both had that hyper personality long before they came down with Parkinson's. I've never read that there is a connection in a hyper personality and Parkinson's. In fact, I've read that people who come down with Parkinson's are ultra-cautious and maybe a little morbid in personality. I know other people with Parkinson's, and they were cool, calm, and collected before coming down with it. It makes you wonder though about Robin Williams and Michael J. Fox. Maybe some researcher will make the connection and do a study on it.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:37 AM

37,099 posts, read 41,226,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
I know this is purely coincidental, but has anyone else noticed that Robin Williams hyper (but much loved) personality/behavior is kind of like Michael J. Fox's? Both have Parkinson's. Both had that hyper personality long before they came down with Parkinson's. I've never read that there is a connection in a hyper personality and Parkinson's. In fact, I've read that people who come down with Parkinson's are ultra-cautious and maybe a little morbid in personality. I know other people with Parkinson's, and they were cool, calm, and collected before coming down with it. It makes you wonder though about Robin Williams and Michael J. Fox. Maybe some researcher will make the connection and do a study on it.
There is a known connection:

https://www.michaeljfox.org/understa...ons-depression

Old 08-18-2014, 08:39 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,258,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Classy Sassy View Post
I'd say they've both done more than their share of drugs and alcohol and other vices over the years.

Old 08-18-2014, 08:46 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
We can't know what was going on in the mind of Robin Williams.

I'm just sorry that he believed it was best to end his life. We're living at time when there is much more help available for depression and related problems.

And even if he was broke, there's still reorganization plans and such. He may not have lived lavishly after all the debts were paid but he wouldn't have been left without a roof over his head, either.

Old 08-18-2014, 09:02 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
I wonder if he was under the care of a psychiatrist...it just seems odd to me he went to a rehab facility for depression. Certainly a private psychiatrist would also need to be involved for the best chance at successful treatment. Bouts of clinical depression can reappear out of the blue quite often.

I do think the Parkinsons diagnosis was a huge blow and there is depression associated with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events