Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 10:34 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times

Advertisements

Miami Gardens is an awful area. The city is only 10 years old. It is 76% black, 22% latino, 2% white, has double the crime rate of the nation. Only reason it's known, is because the Dolphins play there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 10:38 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,871,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Miami Gardens is an awful area.
I have never been to South Florida, but if that city does have a horrible murder rate. 8 cops arresting convenience store workers daily isn't really going to solve the problem.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:45 PM

3,244 posts, read 5,241,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
I have never been to South Florida, but if that city does have a horrible murder rate. 8 cops arresting convenience store workers daily isn't really going to solve the problem.
Reported crime is down 40% since the police department was formed in 2007. But, perhaps you can move there, become chief & improve things!

Old 08-22-2014, 11:24 PM

317 posts, read 328,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jade408 View Post
There was actually no trouble. He was being harassed by the police. He was never prosecuted for anything for the vast majority of those arrests. Arresting someone does not mean they have committed the crime.

If you read the whole story you'd see the store owner was ticketed for a broken taillight and has video time stamped at the same time with a working light...

Is it a surprise some people have mistrust?
Would the police be so aggressive if this was a black area with low crime? No. This community complained about the crime and the police responded. Did the police go over board? According to the article yes, but who knows how accurate that article is.

I read the article and then I tried to find his criminal history but the city doesn't make it easy to find. So two thumbs down on that for them.

Their stop and frisk policy has reduced crime in that city, but if the article is right they have carried it too far.

There is no way to verify the truth of the article, because I don't know how to find this guys arrest records.

If you just stop random people you're going to catch someone slipping up and find some dope on them or a gun on a felon etc.

If the cops are charging people who haven't broken the law then that needs to stop.

I don't know much about law enforcement, but if there is an alternative tactic to stop and frisk that reduces crime the same then they should do that instead.

The police should say "Okay we can see how this would annoy people, we're going to stop this stop and frisk policy, but don't blame us if crime goes back up"

I wonder if this is a situation were you either have stop and frisk or you have higher crime, that it a pain either way.

If there were programs in this community to help people find jobs and reduce pregnancies I bet crime would decrease and the police wouldn't have to be so aggressive.

It's sad when the police are the only tool that is used to reduce crime.

Last edited by kbt1766; 08-22-2014 at 11:44 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 01:20 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shh1313 View Post
Where I live in Texas there wouldn't be time for an officer to get to the scene because a driver speeding would run me over first. ..
Just saying.
LOL! Yeah, it's like that here on some of our major streets. Traffic moves fast.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:59 PM

13,586 posts, read 13,118,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjake54 View Post
Reported crime is down 40% since the police department was formed in 2007. But, perhaps you can move there, become chief & improve things!
"Reported crime." If the police are hostile, are you going to call them?

Old 08-23-2014, 03:33 PM

317 posts, read 328,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
"Reported crime." If the police are hostile, are you going to call them?

Yeah, you would call them. I haven't seen any reports of police beating people in miami gardens for calling the cops.

Old 08-24-2014, 12:09 AM

21,876 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Probably stop and see why I was walking in the middle of the street rather than on the sidewalk. I don't live in Chicago or someplace where people routinely walk in the middle of the street because it gives them a few more seconds to react before being jumped/shot at.

Old 08-24-2014, 04:51 PM

8 posts, read 8,104 times
I'm old fashioned, I respect the police, but if they dis me, well.......hmmmm.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events