Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2014, 12:33 PM

9,822 posts, read 11,544,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
This is an excellent point! So do we, I work in nursing homes. We've had a handful of residents over the years who have been pretty severely mentally ill, but often younger and still mobile. There have been occasions where they've done things like throw their TV's at staff (after which everything in his room got bolted down) but we have always (in 18 years) been able to handle it until the ambulance got there and never shot or even hurt a single person.

I do think there is not nearly enough training for officers in communication skills, and too much reliance on guns and beatings as a first response.

Unbelievable that this (white) guy was actually waving and pointing his gun at the officers, and they still just shot him once, in a body part designed to stop him rather than kill him. What determines why an unarmed man gets shot 9 times and an armed man gets shot once in the stomach?
Exactly
***crickets in here all of a sudden****
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2014, 12:49 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,673,803 times
Quote:
Unbelievable that this (white) guy was actually waving and pointing his gun at the officers, and they still just shot him once, in a body part designed to stop him rather than kill him. What determines why an unarmed man gets shot 9 times and an armed man gets shot once in the stomach?
Well, if the man was incapacitated with one shot no other shots were needed. As far as I know, cops are trained that if they fire their weapon, they are to aim to kill - which, btw, is difficult even in the best of circumstances. They likely were aiming his heart or head.

And...it was not a single cop alone being bumrushed (if that's what happened in Ferguson) by a 300 pound 6'2" man.

Just an alternate theory.

Old 08-22-2014, 12:58 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
There is a huge, huge difference in how they treat people from different walks of life, it's just the facts. With some people there is a presumption of innocence, with others there is a presumption of guilt, and the interaction that follows is largely dependent on which of those categories you fall into.
And regardless of the reason (or lack thereof) for the stop there is still nothing you can do. The only thing you can do is shut up and avoid certain areas. For your example, the area was a predominately black area. In my experience it is conservative areas.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:00 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,260,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Well, if the man was incapacitated with one shot no other shots were needed. As far as I know, cops are trained that if they fire their weapon, they are to aim to kill - which, btw, is difficult even in the best of circumstances. They likely were aiming his heart or head.

And...it was not a single cop alone being bumrushed (if that's what happened in Ferguson) by a 300 pound 6'2" man.

Cops, like everybody else, are trained to shoot at center mass until the threat is stopped. Sometimes that means death and other times it does not.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:24 PM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
Quote:
What determines why an unarmed man gets shot 9 times and an armed man gets shot once in the stomach?
Poor aim.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:36 PM

50,748 posts, read 36,458,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
And regardless of the reason (or lack thereof) for the stop there is still nothing you can do. The only thing you can do is shut up and avoid certain areas. For your example, the area was a predominately black area. In my experience it is conservative areas.
IMO this is still America, and it is not supposed to be a place where you just keep your mouth shut while your rights are being trampled on.

That's what people said as the Nazis came to power, and everyday citizens began to lose rights little by little at first and then in huge chunks, "There's nothing we can do about it, just keep your mouth shut and do as they say".

Those who accept this as just the way it is IMO are like the frogs who its' said will stay in hot water and slowly boil to death if you let the water heat up in increments.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-22-2014 at 01:50 PM..

Old 08-22-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Cops, like everybody else, are trained to shoot at center mass until the threat is stopped. Sometimes that means death and other times it does not.
Yes, but the odds go up significantly when they fire 9 shots into you instead of one

He must have been Michael Meyers from Halloween if the first 8 shots didn't stop him from being a threat.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 08-22-2014 at 02:57 PM..

Old 08-22-2014, 02:06 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,275,152 times
Quote:
...He must have been Jason from Halloween...
Jason was from Friday the 13th. Michael Myers was from Halloween.

Carry on...

Old 08-22-2014, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Jason was from Friday the 13th. Michael Myers was from Halloween.

Carry on...
Yikes, you're right! Thanks, you told me in time to go back and fix it.

Old 08-22-2014, 03:05 PM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post

They don't necessarily aim to kill, but to bring down the threat. That may kill, that may wound. It's irrelevant, as long as the threat goes down.
This video did not work for me but if the threat went down after one shot it was proper police procedure. I suspect this was a "death by cop" situation where it was determined that the guy was a major danger only to himself, in those cases the guy was just trying to get himself killed. The stomach shot? Center of mass shot - by the book. It's not only police that are trained in this - but also private gun owners that take firearms training.

Most of you don't understand the impact of a firearm round, and the debates that we gun owners have on what round will bring down the "bad guy" the quickest. Ballistic studies, etc. Because indeed, you can fire and hit a person and they won't go down, and those seconds when they don't can result in your death. It's a huge topic, with plenty of debate. If you are not a gun owner with exposure to firearms training - you would not understand.

I have heard of police overkill - dozens of shots fired at a victim by multiple cops. If it occurs in a span of seconds I could understand that. Police also miss - a lot. It's hard to predict in a span of second how many shots hit the target, and how many missed. But also police panic, police forget their training, some police are indeed thugs, some police are stupid. If the guy is down and alive and police keep shooting - it's obviously murder.

I'm not taking the police side. I have a history of complaining in these forums about police abuse as well. I am just saying, if you have no firearms training then most of you simply do not know what you are talking about.

Last edited by Dd714; 08-22-2014 at 03:15 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events