Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:30 AM

329 posts, read 387,669 times

Advertisements

I see little issue with his comments. Once you are contacted by an officer, he has your immediate future in his hands.
Sure, you may prevail in court and even a civil suit. But on the street level version of it. Its best to go along with him and let him do his job.
Threatening him, calling him names, or even getting physical will only end badly for you one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:46 AM

1,716 posts, read 2,034,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkmani View Post
And I rolled my eyes when I read this...

ETA: I rolled my eyes because it doesn't apply to me. I don't care about the police because they haven't done anything to me. If anything they inconvenience me when they shut down all the lanes on the highway.
No sense being prepared for when it does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Any attorney will tell you the same thing. Do what the police tell you to do. If they are wrong or they have violated your rights, contact an attorney to review your case and file a civil or civil rights claim.
Hmm, I wonder if a lawyer would have an ulterior motive to telling you to hire a lawyer? Actually, I'd question the value of any lawyer who would say you should consent to a search of your car, a process often associated with traffic stops.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
I drive the speed limit, don't hangout on street corners, don't drink and drive, am not loud and obnoxious, keep my pants at my waist and I never have a problem with the police...go figure.
So pants below your waist is a reason to be stopped? Here is a perfect example of protecting your rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
Their outlook is that they are the law and we are "civilians". They are above the law and we are potential law breakers. Answer their questions truthfully and factually. Never volunteer information they don't ask for. Never ask questions that you don't want to hear the answer to and it's even better to never ask any questions. Just answer their questions. If the question has a yes or no answer, answer that way. Don't contradict them. Address them as "officer", unless they tell you differently. Do what they tell you to do. If they give you a break, say "thank you".
Great advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyGirl52 View Post
Dont be daft. Police have a liscense to kill backed by the government. What does most of us have that can top that?

Things like Ferguson will only end up in martial law if they become habitual. People should be very scared of an inability to get along with the law enforcement they currently enjoy. If we get to the point where true fascism replaces the police, there will be no turning that back.

On the side of the police, they are as scared of a criminal as any normal law abiding people are. They dont know if any random people they encounter fall into a good or bad category. They find that out as they deal with you. They want to live long enough to get home too.

He's right. You can move away, sue, whatever to remedy any stepping on your rights once you live long enough to survive the encounter. Once you see tanks in the street, and armed military check points on every corner, you will know things went too far, and there will be no hope of turning them back.
Nope, are you? To me, daft is freely passing on your rights just because it is an officer. There is a line, you have an obligation as an American citizen to go up to the line, but not cross. So many people roll over before they even get near the line that many cops have accepted that as the norm. But you are right about one thing, if we get there, there will be no going back.

It is possible to be respectful, helpful and still protect your rights from abuse. It's not an either/or proposition. Watch this over acted, but accurate video to see some of the common ways cops try to trick and intimidate you into actions and statements that will NOT help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJrQBwJpqk

Last edited by Yakscsd; 08-21-2014 at 08:05 AM..

Old 08-21-2014, 08:19 AM

939 posts, read 795,301 times
We should be respectful to police- regardless of how they act. That does not mean however, that they should be able to violate our rights. It seems that people are often handcuffed outside their vehicle, but are told "you are NOT under arrest". Why cuff me, if I'm not under arrest? Also, why do people have to "go down to the station" to talk with police? Why not talk where you are at. This gives them the "intimidation edge". Finally, I would advise nobody to take a polygraph, unless you can pick out the examiner. Police departments have their own agenda with polygraphs, and their examiner may go along with it. Face it, if you are told you failed, how do you know that? Only take a polygraph if you can select your own examiner, and have them pay for it. As many people know, police will lie and tell you that you failed- even if you passed (this is legal). It is NOT a level playing field. Again, treat them with respect, but we don't have to blindly go along with whatever they say. They have an agenda, and will sometimes go to ANY lengths to meet it. Even when they are found at fault, a slap on the wrist is the worst that happens.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:35 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
People have to understand about police now - yes you cooperate, but nothing more. The police aren't your friend, they aren't there to protect you, they aren't there to serve you. In most cases they simply arrive after the problem has occurred. In Officer Friendly's eyes - everyone is guilty, even the victim, even the witness, even the bystander.

When confronted with police, you simply do the least amount required to cooperate via the law. Simply enough, don't talk to them, because they aren't there to help you, certainly do not volunteer information, if it gets more serous - lawyer up. In some cases, this also applies if you are a victim of a crime. Unfortunetly it's gotten to that point.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:44 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,298,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakscsd View Post
Seriously, this is the mentality we are dealing with. He essentially wants you to simply comply, regardless of if he is violating your rights or not. He suggests you can file a complaint later. You can't undo a violation of my rights! The police don't have free reign to stop and question you as they feel inclined, as they did in Nazi Germany or as they can in North Korea. There are rules and they must follow them or Ferguson will only be the beginning. The power trip that this officer is pushing is exactly why we have to question and we have to record every interaction. He simply doesn't get that he doesn't have universal authority. He has some good points, but they are common sense. Don't hit a cop, don't walk towards me aggressively etc. But he steps way over the line by essentially saying to just go along with him, even if he is violating your rights. This attitude and the militarization of the police that people are finally starting to see, is one of the biggest challenges to our way of life and domestic security.

Veteran Cop: 'If You Don't Want To Get Shot,' Shut Up -- Even If We're Violating Your Rights

Sorry for the title typo, I cant go back and change, maybe a mod will?...Veteran
He's right whether you can admit it or not.

Read the article carefully. He says right in there that you can seek legal recourse for anything the police officer has done after the incident is over. The police carry guns and clubs and are trained to use them. It is never a good idea to get into a physical alteration with people so armed.

There is even legal authority which states that even if an arrest is illegal that an individual doesn't have the right to resist arrest. This is the way it should be. Rights can be vindicated in our court system later. In the meantime, the safety of both the police and citizenry is what is important.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2011...-police-homes/

Honestly, I'm amazed at some of the commentary I read here on CDF about the police. The police are not the equivalent of Hitler's Gestapo. The difference is that the mayor and council in every city is elected. Your elected officials hire the police chief and establish rules for hiring officers in a department. If you believe your local police force is out of control than you petition you elected officials to redress that grievance. If they don't fix the problem, than your remedy is to vote them out of office. You have heard of elections haven't you?

Most county sheriffs actually are elected by the people. Many have been defeated in subsequent elections because they were not administering the office the way the public wanted them too.

I wish people would "get real" in these discussions and stop acting like the police were some alien body sent here from a foreign planet to eliminate us. Its really a bit much.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:04 AM

14,993 posts, read 23,885,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
He's right whether you can admit it or not..
Of course he is, but come one he could have put it better (and of course the newspaper could have sensationized it less). The headline doomed any message he was trying to convey - "If you don't want to get shot...shut up"? What kind of message is that? That's the only thing people will read. The only message that comes out is one of arrogance and brutality. At the very least it visualizes his mindset in dealing with civilians. Very unfortunate. Very disturbing.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:18 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
No sense being prepared for when it does.

Hmm, I wonder if a lawyer would have an ulterior motive to telling you to hire a lawyer? Actually, I'd question the value of any lawyer who would say you should consent to a search of your car, a process often associated with traffic stops.

So pants below your waist is a reason to be stopped? Here is a perfect example of protecting your rights.

Great advice

Nope, are you? To me, daft is freely passing on your rights just because it is an officer. There is a line, you have an obligation as an American citizen to go up to the line, but not cross. So many people roll over before they even get near the line that many cops have accepted that as the norm. But you are right about one thing, if we get there, there will be no going back.

It is possible to be respectful, helpful and still protect your rights from abuse. It's not an either/or proposition. Watch this over acted, but accurate video to see some of the common ways cops try to trick and intimidate you into actions and statements that will NOT help you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDJrQBwJpqk
This thread is about surviving an encounter with a police officer, my comment is about what I do to avoid being stopped by a police officer. It is strictly meant to educate others as to what they might think about doing to not have an encounter with a police officer.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:19 AM

10,019 posts, read 8,629,758 times
You'll have to excuse the gun I'm packing, I also fear for my safety.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:38 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,750,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aliasfinn View Post
You'll have to excuse the gun I'm packing, I also fear for my safety.
You have got a point there. With all of this talk about resisting and even being openly hostile to police officers what would these posters do when confronting an unarmed civilian?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:56 AM

3,244 posts, read 5,240,517 times
Quote:
Seriously,
Seriously, shut up!!!
Take some advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QR465HoCWFQ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events