Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2014, 07:53 PM

156 posts, read 193,538 times

Advertisements

This is a genuine question that I think deserves a topic.

Thousasnds of people showed up for the protest, but only a small minority of them rioted. In those riots, one building was burned and about twenty others were stolen from.

Many more protesters tried to protect the stores, and in the end, it was the citizens, not the police, that ended the looting and drove the undesirables out.

...But to hear a lot of people tell it, all the protesters formed a unified mob, razed the city to the ground, burned the crops, and salted the earth.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the looters and I think they're opportunistic criminals who ruined the city's public image. But why all the hyperbole about their numbers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2014, 07:58 PM

2,533 posts, read 3,099,533 times
I wonder the very same thing. So many people suffer from Righteous Indignation syndrome; maybe to give them something to feel high and mighty about.

I heard something to the effect that there are huge voter drives underway in the town of Ferguson. If true, this gives me hope that the citizens there can do something positive for themselves.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:04 PM

1,448 posts, read 1,187,379 times
"Why does everyone exaggerate the participation in the riots?"

Seems like quite a bit of exaggeration in the title of your own post.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:10 PM

You're right, but it's too late to change it. So feel free to interpret it as "Why Do So Many People Exaggerate the Participation in the Riots."

Old 08-21-2014, 08:22 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,398,043 times
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...ting-violence/

Ferguson

Looting Decimates Small Businesses in Ferguson

I wonder if the business owners feel others are exaggerating things?

Old 08-21-2014, 09:15 PM

We all know it happened - no one's trying to deny that. But that doesn't answer the question.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:15 PM

78,385 posts, read 60,566,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post

Thousasnds of people showed up for the protest, but only a small minority of them rioted. In those riots, one building was burned and about twenty others were stolen from.

Many more protesters tried to protect the stores, and in the end, it was the citizens, not the police, that ended the looting and drove the undesirables out.

...But to hear a lot of people tell it, all the protesters formed a unified mob, razed the city to the ground, burned the crops, and salted the earth.

Don't get me wrong, I hate the looters and I think they're opportunistic criminals who ruined the city's public image. But why all the hyperbole about their numbers?
That's not the story that has been in the media. So, stop making up stuff and then trying to be indignant about it. Thanks.

I'm suspicious now that your facts are even remotely accurate.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:30 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,328,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
That's not the story that has been in the media. So, stop making up stuff and then trying to be indignant about it. Thanks.

I'm suspicious now that your facts are even remotely accurate.
This sentence speaks volumes. The OP isn't making anything up, many don't know the half of what has gone on Ferguson, which has made these threads difficult to read.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:35 PM

9,189 posts, read 7,597,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by That Guy You Met Once View Post

Anti-black Republicans here spread that nonsense.

Old 08-21-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzy24 View Post
Anti-black Republicans here spread that nonsense.
That doesn't help either. I started this thread so I could hear what justification people who genuinely believe that the rioters were the majority have to offer. Preferably in their own words.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events