Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2014, 03:56 PM

30,311 posts, read 51,912,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
Several years ago I "liked" my company's page, which was fine. But then I "liked" one article they posted, and two days later I was speaking to HR about never doing that again. It's the appearance of the appearance of the appearance of impropriety.
Really? Wow.

I work for a government institution, and they actually encourage us to "like" our pages! I'm also the "administrator" for our branch's page, and get to post on our behalf.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 03:58 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nepenthe View Post
My employer has an annual class that everyone in the company must complete. It governs many aspects of our lives. We have to be very careful of anything we mention on Facebook, Twitter, Linked In, etc. Mentioning Fantasy Football or gambling on a public, "real name" place could be grounds for disciplinary action. We are prohibited from writing for an online, publicly-available blog if the topic is money, economics, or politics. I always wonder about message boards and forums but they seem to leave that out in favor of governing our social media and blog activities. The anonymity afforded a blog writer must be at least equal to that afforded a forum member, right?

Several years ago I "liked" my company's page, which was fine. But then I "liked" one article they posted, and two days later I was speaking to HR about never doing that again. It's the appearance of the appearance of the appearance of impropriety.
Why in the world would you even work for such an idiotic company? Does you company also tell you what toilet paper to use and how many times to wipe?

Also, no one has to use their real name or anything on social media, so your company would have no way of knowing where you post, fantasy football, etc. Why the heck anyone uses their real ID on social media is beyond me.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Why in the world would you even work for such an idiotic company? Does you company also tell you what toilet paper to use and how many times to wipe?

Also, no one has to use their real name or anything on social media, so your company would have no way of knowing where you post, fantasy football, etc. Why the heck anyone uses their real ID on social media is beyond me.
I agree with the first part of your post... but to answer the last question, I use my real ID on Facebook because I only use it to keep in touch with actual friends & family members (who are scattered around the world). Mostly it's just photos of my pets, niece/nephew, me at social events, etc; and occasional life updates or funny things I've found around the web. Since there's nothing "incriminating," and I don't add strangers as friends, there's really nothing I have to hide! On other sites like C-D, however, I always use a pseudonym just in case.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
Wow! So our Gov is supporting Commies & Natzis then?????
That's just great! Hope you're proud!
Um, what??

The government doesn't "support" what private businesses do, they just don't make those rules (regarding what employees can or cannot say) for them. Again, the right to free speech only means that you can't be arrested or detained for saying something unpopular... it doesn't give you free reign to speak without ANY consequences, which may include being fired from your job. There are some exceptions, like the right to protest/strike, and for union members, the right to speak negatively in a union meeting.

Would you rather have the government dictating what a business has to tolerate from their employees? Like a law against firing someone for telling customers how much their company sucks? I'd think such laws are more "commie-like" than how it stands now!

Old 08-23-2014, 04:31 PM

5,658 posts, read 6,272,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Really? Wow.

I work for a government institution, and they actually encourage us to "like" our pages!
Yep, employees are not to "like" or comment on any articles. Of course I did the sensible thing and just "unliked" the whole page.
Quote:
Why in the world would you even work for such an idiotic company?
Short commute, beautiful working environment, engaging work, decent benefits, excellent pay, strong company, acceptable culture, fair advancement potential. It's really not that bad. I don't really use FB much anymore, and I no longer have my blog (the online guidelines didn't actually exist ten years ago when I started at the company and did own a blog). Just some areas that you must pay particular attention to.

Quote:
Why the heck anyone uses their real ID on social media is beyond me.
I joined FB several years ago as a way to reconnect with a number of childhood, high school, and college friends. A lot of them sought me out. Using an obscuring pseudonym would have granted protection from the prying eyes of my company, but would have defeated most of the purpose of FB for me.

Last edited by Nepenthe; 08-23-2014 at 04:45 PM..

Old 08-23-2014, 04:31 PM

11,175 posts, read 16,008,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
While not exactly flattering, the woman had every right to post what she did,....
Yes, she absolutely did.

And her employer absolutely had every right to terminate her for her not-exactly-flattering post!

Old 08-23-2014, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Would you hold that true for all of the rights? As in the government protects your right to vote, but maybe your employer does not allow any of its employees to vote? Or force their employees to vote for a particular party?

What if that Facebook post was about how the employee supports the Democratic presidential nominee, and the company owner supports the Republican; should people's votes and legal political advocacy be influenced by the potential of job loss?
All American employees have the federal right to vote, and even to take time off during work if their schedule conflicts with voting hours. I believe some states also include "political persuasion" under anti-discrimination laws, but would have to check on that.

As a union/govt employee myself, however, I know that we are prohibited from expressing political views to the public... we talk politics amongst ourselves sometimes, but can't say much to our patrons (even when it's something that affects us, like library bond measures). We can provide general information if asked, but can't actually endorse one candidate or vote specifically. Rules probably differ in the private sector, though.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:38 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Yes, she absolutely did.

And her employer absolutely had every right to terminate her for her not-exactly-flattering post!

Old 08-23-2014, 04:40 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
While not exactly flattering, the woman had every right to post what she did, and any man who gets "highly offended" by something he reads from a stranger needs to get over himself.
No one stopped her from exercising that right. Her employer has rights, too, and they exercised them.

Old 08-23-2014, 04:40 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
All American employees have the federal right to vote, and even to take time off during work if their schedule conflicts with voting hours. I believe some states also include "political persuasion" under anti-discrimination laws, but would have to check on that.

As a union/govt employee myself, however, I know that we are prohibited from expressing political views to the public... we talk politics amongst ourselves sometimes, but can't say much to our patrons (even when it's something that affects us, like library bond measures). We can provide general information if asked, but can't actually endorse one candidate or vote specifically. Rules probably differ in the private sector, though.
You cannot express your views in the capacity of a gov employee, you are perfectly allowed to do so on your own time and about anything else politically as long as it does not violate things like the Hatch Act (which is BS in itself).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events