Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:29 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Huffington Post is a crap news source. I wouldn't believe them if they said the earth orbits the sun.
Attacking the source doesn't mean something like this didn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 11:47 AM

26,699 posts, read 41,737,988 times
A living wage may have let her ease up on the working. Just sayin.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:50 AM

3,887 posts, read 5,747,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
A living wage may have let her ease up on the working. Just sayin.
A living wage may have meant she would not have had any jobs.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:57 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
I hate reading about tragedies like this - it's heartbreaking.

On another note, I wish people would stop assuming anyone with an Hispanic last name or a Muslim name wasn't born here.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:08 PM

41,936 posts, read 36,957,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I hate reading about tragedies like this - it's heartbreaking.

On another note, I wish people would stop assuming anyone with an Hispanic last name or a Muslim name wasn't born here.

Or even if they weren't born here, they are likely here illegally.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:17 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,607,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timberline742 View Post
Or even if they weren't born here, they are likely here illegally.

Exactly. Guilty until proven innocent.

Old 09-04-2014, 12:56 PM

820 posts, read 1,209,220 times
She should have just got pregnant had kids, and let the system pay for her, that way she would be rewarded for bad decisions, vs dieing trying to make nothing. I was in Save-A-Lot yesterday, and I forget it was the beginning of the month, seeing everyone with stacked carts who could never buy the food themselves (Food stamps/welfare) . Instead they do what I said above. I'm tired of my taxes going towards white trash, illegals, and minorities, when a hard worker like this girl dies trying to play by the rules.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:50 PM

4,873 posts, read 3,601,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwiley View Post
A living wage may have meant she would not have had any jobs.
That's highly unlikely since research and logic indicate a minimum wage would increase economic growth and create jobs. After all, if people are earning more money, they have to spend it somewhere.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjdemak View Post
She should have just got pregnant had kids, and let the system pay for her, that way she would be rewarded for bad decisions, vs dieing trying to make nothing. I was in Save-A-Lot yesterday, and I forget it was the beginning of the month, seeing everyone with stacked carts who could never buy the food themselves (Food stamps/welfare) . Instead they do what I said above. I'm tired of my taxes going towards white trash, illegals, and minorities, when a hard worker like this girl dies trying to play by the rules.
Most people who receive food stamps are employed, and the rest are seeking employment or unemployable (mentally ill, elderly, etc.). So your post is factually incorrect as well as disturbingly racist.

Old 09-04-2014, 01:56 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,930,564 times
Quote:
Can't twist it both ways like that, something will break. The 800lb gorilla no one wants to face is the out of control wealth growth of the 1% and the flatlined and declining opportunities in the middle and underclass. You wouldn't have cared where your tax dollars were going in the days when you were making a living wage doing not much. I have relatives that owned houses working for Coca-Cola and I have an uncle who was a hospital porter, another was a hospital security guard. these people owned cars, houses, took international vacations. That is not possible in 2014. First of all a minimum wage job means your manager will be doing their best to keep you at or around 20hrs/wk or less. That's why7 minimum wage workers have to work so many jobs. If they can. But just so you know we have junior airline pilots on food stamps because their unions have completely caved in to management demands for give backs and they are making $16k/yr and they are flying the maximum allowed by law, running on the ragged edge of exhaustion. These people are flying people like you and me out of smaller airports around the country. Now some states are granting drivers licenses to illegal residents who will be driving many hours over mandated maximums because they are not empowered to refuse when their bosses order them to. The horrific head on collision between that charter bus and a school bus is just the canary in the coal mine. Expect others. The runaway profit machine has got to be stopped. Or we will all suffer for it. Or worse.

H

Old 09-04-2014, 02:02 PM

7,237 posts, read 12,741,554 times
Quote:
I make it my business to avoid the grocery stores during the first of the month.

I also can't stand the first of the month because everybody and their momma decides they want to be out & about during rush hour to spend their government checks while making my commute to EARN my check pure hell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events