Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:31 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,457,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Mr Powering - you said it all so well. Only one teensy correction - Joan was never on HSN - which is a couple of steps below QVC. QVC is the gold standard for electronic marketing - all the others are also-rans. Back the day, QVC's top hosts were earning close to $1MM/year. These days, maybe mid to upper six figures for the top people. There's a reason the QVC people keep their jobs for 30 years. HSN and those lower on the chain half to less that and have more turnover.
I believe you meant to direct your post to RunsWithScissors, who put together some great information about Joan's work with her jewelry, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2014, 10:40 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,128,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I was simply stating my opinion - thus the "IMO". I didn't like her. Her dying doesn't change that. She probably wouldn't like me either and she damn sure wouldn't apologize for it. And it bothers me not at all. I'm not a celebrity watcher and think E!, etc, is just crap. I wouldn't know the Kardashians if I saw them on the street. It's not my thing. I said so. To each his own.
So why are you on this thread commenting?

Old 09-04-2014, 10:43 PM

25,591 posts, read 56,255,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
I believe you meant to direct your post to RunsWithScissors, who put together some great information about Joan's work with her jewelry, etc.
Thank you. I've corrected the post.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:01 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,795,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spikett View Post
I was simply stating my opinion - thus the "IMO". I didn't like her. Her dying doesn't change that. She probably wouldn't like me either and she damn sure wouldn't apologize for it. And it bothers me not at all. I'm not a celebrity watcher and think E!, etc, is just crap. I wouldn't know the Kardashians if I saw them on the street. It's not my thing. I said so. To each his own.
Right she is unapologetic. Of course you don't have to like her. But just throwing out wrong facts to cast a false light/perception?

"IMO she's broke" is just a good way to avoid outright slander, though, true.

It doesn't matter if anyone likes E! or pop culture, agreed.

But to call it a B grade network is just silly because all of NBC's cable channels (E! Syfi, USA etc) are the profit arm - the cash cow -of the parent network NBC AND COMCAST. You realize Comcast owns NBC, right? The cable channels are the engine of NBC Universal. It's NBC BROADCAST that's in actual TROUBLE. The OPPOSITE of what you said.

Quote:
The performance of the cable channels is more important for the bottom line of both NBCU and Comcast, which is due to acquire 100% of NBCU by the end of this month under its deal with GE.

The cable channels made nine times as much profit, as measured by operating cash flow, in 2012 as NBCU's broadcast-television unit, which includes Spanish-language network Telemundo as well as NBC. Cable channels account for 80% of NBCU's overall operating cash flow, with the rest coming from movies and theme parks.

Cable channels "are the driver" of NBCU's earnings, said John Tinker, an analyst at Maxim Group. "It's not a disaster, but I'd say this is something to watch," he said of the ratings declines.
Drooping Ratings Pressure NBCU's Cash Cow - WSJ

So NO. Joan Rivers was an equation in the success of E!, NBC Universal, Comcast, actually.

Quote:
Fashion Police first aired in 2010 and quickly became one of E!'s top shows. The reality-driven network's total audience rose 5 percent between February 2013 and February 2014, according to a recent ratings report; the "core franchise" was a "key growth contributor."
Joan Rivers' Fashion Police Pays Peanuts, and Even a Strike Hasn't Changed That | Features | Los Angeles | Los Angeles News and Events | LA Weekly

Statement From E! And NBCUniversal On The Passing Of Joan Rivers:

Quote:
“E! and NBCUniversal send our deepest condolences to Melissa, Cooper and her entire extended family on this incredibly sad day. For decades Joan has made people laugh, shattered glass ceilings and revolutionized comedy. She was unapologetic and fiercely dedicated to entertaining all of us and has left an indelible mark on the people that worked with her and on her legions of fans. She’s been a much beloved member of the E! family for over 20 years and the world is less funny without her in it. Today our hearts are heavy knowing Joan will not be bounding through the doors.”
E! And NBCUniversal Release Statement On The Passing Of Joan Rivers - Ratings | TVbytheNumbers.Zap2it.com

Old 09-04-2014, 11:22 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,870,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
I find myself wonder how long it takes for plastic to degrade.
She did say when she dies her body would be give to Tupperware

I loved her humor and how nobody was off limits.

Prayers to the family....

Old 09-04-2014, 11:36 PM

4,882 posts, read 13,748,929 times
When the news broke about Ashlee Simpson's and Evan Ross' wedding I was hoping even harder for her to recover.

Old 09-04-2014, 11:54 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,242,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
Rivers stopped breathing during a surgical procedure on her vocal cords last week and had to be rushed from the clinic to Mount Sinai Hospital.

having unnecessary surgery is very risky, maybe this wouldnt have happened if she didnt have the surgery?
People don't have surgery on their vocal cords for their appearance. They have it because they have over-used their voices or used them improperly and their vocal cords require repair. My mother, brother, and two of my friends have had vocal cord surgery. It's VERY painful. No one would do it unless totally necessary. Julie Andrews cannot sing to this day because of unsuccessful vocal cord surgery. Many women's voices lower in register as they age and Joan Rivers' voice was always somewhat raspy. She probably needed treatment. Whether that was done improperly or should have been done in a hospital rather than a private clinic remains to be seen. The New York Health Department is investigating.

Joan Rivers was the first female comedian in the U.S. to mine the hard-nosed confrontational style made popular by comedians such as Lenny Bruce. She paved the way for entertainers like Kathy Griffith and Sarah Silverman. Many people don't find that style humorous and many others find it distasteful coming from a woman, but Joan always had enough fans to make her career of more than 50 years a success throughout the English-speaking world. She said not long ago that she has no need for money anymore, she just worked because she LOVED it. And most of her ventures in television and the fashion world were a success. She worked long hours the day before she underwent the throat procedure. There are photographs that show her smiling and vital on the job that day. So I guess that's how she would have wanted to go out. I hope her loved ones take strength from the fact she lived more than 80 years on her own terms.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:31 AM

11,642 posts, read 12,829,683 times
Very saddened and shocked.

Yes, she was 81, but only a week ago she was very active (doing her show), making jokes, making Youtube videos and today she dies. It's not like she got weakened slowly and then tragically died. It came out of nowhere. Kinda reminded me of Natasha Richardson's death in 2009.

She was probably the most funniest female comedian ever. May she rest in peace.

And with the people joking about her death? Let them do it. Rivers also joked about her death and plastic surgery.

Old 09-05-2014, 12:53 AM

15,435 posts, read 10,362,323 times
Carson talking about men really liking smart women. Rivers "No man has ever put his hands up a woman's dress looking for a library card."

Joan Rivers is Hilarious on Johnny Carson's Tonight Show FULL INTERVIEW, 1986 - YouTube

Last edited by elan; 09-05-2014 at 01:03 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 01:07 AM

4,862 posts, read 7,928,676 times
Just as a personal note. May she rest in peace but she did have a good run. Yesterday I saw a man almost get killed crossing an intersection. None of us know when our number will be called so like Joan did in her life, go for it and live the best you can.

I say thanks Joan. Even in your passing you taught me something. Live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events