Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2014, 12:43 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times

Advertisements

BTW it appears that at least ONE of those "children" is a female. The SIX YEAR OLD.

People Who Inspire Us « Sakhi for South Asian Women

NOTICE THE LITTLE GIRL IS WEARING A PROTESTER LABEL ON HER SHIRT.

Did the father go in the ladies' room with the daughter?

Did the father take the girl in the men's room?

Why? Why didn't the mother go with the girl and the father with the boy?

Didn't the mother have to use the bathroom?

If your BS meter isn't screaming, it's broken LOL.

No surprise a LABOR LAWYER thinks it's her RIGHT to use a private business's bathroom.

She would not want ME to be her adversary in court.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-06-2014 at 01:05 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2014, 12:45 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,886,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Good grief! If I got arrested every time I've used a bathroom when I wasn't a customer, I'd have a rap sheet a mile long! Personally when in Manhattan, I scope out the nearest Starbucks, as they are plentiful, crowded and easy to slip in and out of unnoticed. I think you're really stretching for justification now, IMO this is something most people have done if not almost all.

I owned a retail store and my bathrooms were NOT for the public, especially non PAYING public.

You are adding COSTS to those restaurants' expense line and not contributing to their PROFIT - the reason they're in business.

You SERIOUSLY think the entire protest had the RIGHT to filthy up Ruby Tuesdays?

It's no different than if they let them ALL go in there.

You even say yourself you know it's WRONG. "slip in and out unnoticed".

Sorry SHAME ON YOU for not even being willing to spend a couple dollars in return for the bathroom PRIVILEGE. No offense.

Last edited by runswithscissors; 09-06-2014 at 01:07 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 01:14 PM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're not that naïve, are you?

She's a civil and human rights activist. These are her twitter, facebook and blog. I found them via her linkedin profile.

https://twitter.com/lawatmargins

https://www.facebook.com/groups/371477246304086/

Law at the Margins - This blawg explores how people, communities, and ideas are impacted when laws and legal institutions draw margins.

There wasn't "just a protest nearby." She was an attendee at the protest. It's right in the article you linked.

And she's lying about being on a leave of absence from work. Her employer says she no longer works for them.

Things aren't always as they appear, No Kudzu.
Well, surprise, surprise.......

Old 09-06-2014, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Cases like this infuriate me. Just because there had been a protest nearby and she is a woman of color she was targeted. They messed with the wrong woman and I hope they pay dearly.
I think police officers should be held personally accountable for rough and unwarranted treatment and arrests like this. Their pensions should be part of any liability. Maybe then they would be a bit more careful. If the facts are as stated this was definitely a case of racial profiling and unjust arrest. And practically every woman I know kept her own name when married. What kind of neanderthal says that to a woman?

Former top lawyer for city Public Advocate says NYPD cops roughed her up during unwarranted arrest: suit* - NY Daily News
Two sides to every story, obviously this is hers, and her attorney's......

Personally, I think body cameras on police officers would be a good idea, just to tell that other side of the story if nothing else.

And most women I know, myself included, took our husband's name when we married. Or have hyphenated last names. Not that this has anything to do with the story, or is relevant for anything.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delahanty View Post
And if the facts are not "as stated," those are quite a lot of mean-spirited, pent-up, attacks (and name-calling) against the NYPD. Talk about a rush to judgment.

Wow.
Looks like the woman is an activist, looking for an opportunity to be a "victim"......

Old 09-06-2014, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's alarming that the police would react forcefully over nothing. This lawsuit could do some good, if it results in more supervision and training for police officers.

Here's what they said when they found out her last name was different from her husband's:

When she said she was in pain, one of the officers, Ryan Lathrop, allegedly told her, “Shut your mouth.” When he found out she had a different last name than her hubby, he told her “In America, wives take the names of their husbands.”

There's no call for that kind of rudeness. Not to mention the fact that the officer was wrong; in the US women often don't take their husband's last name. (Not that that has anything to do with anything.) It's in Islamic and Hindu societies that women do that. Sounds like the officer would prefer to live under Islamic custom.
The key word there is "allegedly". It's this woman's word ( and consider she's an activist out to use this incident to further an agenda) against the police officer's.

Old 09-06-2014, 01:40 PM

Quote:
No one ever said white people aren't also abused by the police. To me that is the whole point of threads like this, that we need to be paying attention because IMO the police are over-stepping their bounds in more frequent cases. But instead we have folks here trying to find a reason to justify this woman being wrongly arrested and held for 9 hours, only because she thinks one reason for it is the way she was dressed and looked foreign, which IMO is not far-fetched at all. The fact white people are abused too sometimes does not mean profiling doesn't occur, IMO it occurs on a regular basis.

Finding one story or 3 or 4 or 6 or 33 about white people being screwed by the system doesn't prove there isn't racial discrimination in any police department anywhere, it's patently ridiculous to try to imply it does, IMO.
Oh.....k.... then. So if "white" people are also screwed by the system in any number, and people "of color" are also wronged, then tell me, just where is the "racial discrimination"??????? Not that being "screwed", or "wronged" by the system should be condoned for anyone..........

And why wouldn't you be just as outraged at anyone, regardless of his/her skin color, ethnicity, or dress, being wronged by the system??????

Old 09-06-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
She was arrested at a time she was just standing in front of Ruby Tuesdays waiting for her kid and husband to come out from the bathroom. THAT part is not in dispute, even the police do not dispute that. She wasn't yelling or protesting then, she was standing there and the police came over and demanded she move, and she said "I'm waiting for my family" and they said "MOVE!"

She said "no" they tried to cuff her for simply refusing to move away from a public spot she had every right to be, then she "flailed her arms making it difficult to handcuff her", those words per the police report. They held her for 9 HOURS for refusing to move from a public spot she was standing in front of waiting for her family and for trying to keep from being handcuffed which I think would be anyone's natural reaction. It makes NO difference if 10 minutes before she was holding up signs and yelling, there was NO crime and certainly none that warranted handcuffing her and holding her for 9 hours.

I simply don't believe she was trying to get arrested, if she were she would have actually done something wrong, which if she had, would have been on the police report and the "crime" she was charged with. She was NEVER charged with a crime. She was handcuffed and hauled off to jail in front of her family and held for 9 HOURS and never charged with anything.

If further facts come to light I will re-evaluate, but in my book and the way it appears now, this is abuse of power and violation of her rights.
I suspect in your book it was an abuse of power and violation of her rights as soon as you saw her dress, name and identification in the article as a "Muslim"....... you condemned the police based on an emotional reaction to the details in the article, and the facts in the case don't matter to you.....

It's your right, of course, to form your own opinions, but don't delude yourself that those opinions are necessarily informed.

Old 09-06-2014, 03:28 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
Looks like the woman is an activist, looking for an opportunity to be a "victim"......
She's not some sort of radical, she is a human rights attorney. She is a highly respected woman who held a government position in THIS country under New York's City Advocate. She left to devote more time to fighting horrible factory conditions and child slave labor in Bangladesh. She's not going around smashing windows or acting like an animal. She could just practice law and get rich, but she chose to devote her degree to speaking for those who can't speak for themselves, both in NYC and around the world, and people here are acting like she's one of the Black Panthers or something instead of an educated and respected professional and family woman.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-06-2014 at 04:07 PM..

Old 09-06-2014, 03:30 PM

50,717 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I suspect in your book it was an abuse of power and violation of her rights as soon as you saw her dress, name and identification in the article as a "Muslim"....... you condemned the police based on an emotional reaction to the details in the article, and the facts in the case don't matter to you.....

It's your right, of course, to form your own opinions, but don't delude yourself that those opinions are necessarily informed.
My reaction has nothing to do with her nationality. If you really care for my viewpoint, I have a couple posts a few pages back that explains why I reacted like I did and care so much, however I'm not going to re-write them for people who would rather jump in late and make assumptions. Hint: it's about the Constitution and the basic rights we are supposed to have in this country.

I would be just as appalled had she been white. I think the police are overstepping bounds in many cases, with all of us, and that's why it bothers me that so many here think the police can do no wrong and if they arrested her, she had to have deserved it. I don't buy it, I don't trust the system, I think we're heading for a military state if we don't keep our eyes on this, and I think too many of us point a finger at the victims so we can find some way to reassure ourselves it can't happen to "us" and I fear it's misguided.

I'm sorry, using the bathroom when not a customer, not blindly obeying the police when you're not doing anything wrong, blocking a sidewalk....none of that in 99.9% of cases would result in arrest let alone being held for 9 hours. They arrested her because they didn't approve of the protest or the protesters IMO, and that is a violation of the Constitution no matter what color she is.

If your curious about my views on the protesters, well I am Jewish so definitely not some sort of pro-Muslim booster. But again, what I think of what they espouse has no effect on their right to say it.

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-06-2014 at 03:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events