Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2014, 08:17 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times

Advertisements

Cases like this infuriate me. Just because there had been a protest nearby and she is a woman of color she was targeted. They messed with the wrong woman and I hope they pay dearly.
I think police officers should be held personally accountable for rough and unwarranted treatment and arrests like this. Their pensions should be part of any liability. Maybe then they would be a bit more careful. If the facts are as stated this was definitely a case of racial profiling and unjust arrest. And practically every woman I know kept her own name when married. What kind of neanderthal says that to a woman?

Former top lawyer for city Public Advocate says NYPD cops roughed her up during unwarranted arrest: suit* - NY Daily News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2014, 08:20 AM

4,103 posts, read 5,425,977 times
So now anyone with a nice tan is a person of color? Come on.......

Im going to start suing anyone who mistreats me as being "Anti freckle-ist"

Old 09-05-2014, 08:44 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post

Huq, who says in her lawsuit she’d taken a leave of absence as James’ general counsel to work on factory conditions in her native Bangladesh a day before the arrest, says she believes she was targeted because she’s a Muslim woman.
Huq was wearing a traditional South Asian tunic while waiting for her husband and their 6- and 10-year-old kids to come out from a bathroom stop at Ruby Tuesday's in Times Square when she was told to leave by an officer, the suit says.
She said she explained she was waiting for her family and then the officer “without any legal basis, grabbed Ms. Huq, turned her and pushed her against the wall and placed her under arrest.”
[LEFT]
Read more: Former top lawyer for city Public Advocate says NYPD cops roughed her up during unwarranted arrest: suit* - NY Daily News
[/LEFT]

So you're trying to imply she is completely mistaken, and the same thing would have happened if she were a white middle-aged woman standing outside a Ruby Tuesday? I don't believe that for a second, and I say that as a white middle aged woman who has never been confronted for just standing outside a restaurant in my life. I do have friends who are "people of color" however, and they cannot say the same thing.

Old 09-05-2014, 09:47 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,128,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thatguydownsouth View Post

Does she look white to you?

(http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopo...b.jpg?enlarged)

Old 09-05-2014, 10:03 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,040,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Cases like this infuriate me. Just because there had been a protest nearby and she is a woman of color she was targeted. They messed with the wrong woman and I hope they pay dearly.
I think police officers should be held personally accountable for rough and unwarranted treatment and arrests like this. Their pensions should be part of any liability. Maybe then they would be a bit more careful. If the facts are as stated this was definitely a case of racial profiling and unjust arrest. And practically every woman I know kept her own name when married. What kind of neanderthal says that to a woman?

Former top lawyer for city Public Advocate says NYPD cops roughed her up during unwarranted arrest: suit* - NY Daily News
You're not that naïve, are you?

She's a civil and human rights activist. These are her twitter, facebook and blog. I found them via her linkedin profile.

https://twitter.com/lawatmargins

https://www.facebook.com/groups/371477246304086/

Law at the Margins - This blawg explores how people, communities, and ideas are impacted when laws and legal institutions draw margins.

There wasn't "just a protest nearby." She was an attendee at the protest. It's right in the article you linked.

And she's lying about being on a leave of absence from work. Her employer says she no longer works for them.

Things aren't always as they appear, No Kudzu.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:03 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,183,047 times
That's her side of the story. I wonder where the real truth lies.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:14 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:

And if the facts are not "as stated," those are quite a lot of mean-spirited, pent-up, attacks (and name-calling) against the NYPD. Talk about a rush to judgment.

Wow.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:14 AM

50,768 posts, read 36,474,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
You're not that naïve, are you?

She's a civil and human rights activist. These are her twitter, facebook and blog. I found them via her linkedin profile.

https://twitter.com/lawatmargins

https://www.facebook.com/groups/371477246304086/

Law at the Margins - This blawg explores how people, communities, and ideas are impacted when laws and legal institutions draw margins.

There wasn't "just a protest nearby." She was an attendee at the protest. It's right in the article you linked.

And she's lying about being on a leave of absence from work. Her employer says she no longer works for them.

Things aren't always as they appear, No Kudzu.
Even if she was, since when is that an arrestable event? Our right to protest is one of the most basic and important rights we have, and as Americans we should all care if people are being arrested for it whether they are American or not. Was she firing tear gas at people, smashing car windows, screaming at patrons going into Ruby Tuesdays, what? None of the above? then what was her crime? Remember at the time of her arrest she WAS simply waiting for her family who took a bathroom break, and was only standing outside the restaurant.

There doesn't seem to be lying in any way shape or form, her suit acknowledges she was there "The bust was “characteristic of a pattern and practice of the NYPD in aggressive overpolicing of people of color and persons lawfully exercising their First Amendment rights,” the suit says.[LEFT]
and it was her rep who "exposed" (said tongue in cheek) that she didn't work there anymore, not some secret fact that someone uncovered later.
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz3CSdoxnRf
[/LEFT]

The bottom line is they held this innocent woman for 9 hours who at the time of her arrest was simply standing in front of a restaurant committing no crime. Also noted in the article, is the fact the officer involved was already under investigation from a prior complaint: ".. Lathrop is also under investigation by the NYPD’s Internal Affairs Bureau, which is investigating an incident in which the cop allegedly confiscated the phone of someone who was taping him and then roughed him up.
[LEFT]
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/...#ixzz3CSfHjBuZ
[/LEFT]

Last edited by ocnjgirl; 09-05-2014 at 10:25 AM..

Old 09-05-2014, 10:15 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,825,823 times
Quote:

And if the facts are not "as stated," those are quite a lot of mean-spirited, pent-up, attacks (and name-calling) against the NYPD. Talk about a rush to judgment.

Wow.

Old 09-05-2014, 10:19 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
So what if she had been a part of a protest? We have the right of peaceful assembly in this country. If she was simply standing outside the restaurant waiting like she said she should not have been roughed up. THE NYPD have shown themselves to be too eager to use force when unwarranted.
Are you naive enough to think the NYPD did not target her because of her race and dress?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events