Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2014, 04:52 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times

Advertisements

Both of my grannies used the hickory switch on all of their children and grandchildren (one was from Appalachia). They kept 3 or 4 good ones on top of the fridge. Sometimes you would be asked to go pick your own...which usually resulted in bringing back a small twig, haha. There was never any blood or anything but those little things sting, lol.

As far as AP - I don't know how far he took it, but I'm not one that's morally appalled by the thought of whoppin' a child. And heck, looking at the broader issue of absentee fathers in the black community...at least AP is trying to a father.

Old 09-13-2014, 06:33 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Both of my grannies used the hickory switch on all of their children and grandchildren (one was from Appalachia). They kept 3 or 4 good ones on top of the fridge. Sometimes you would be asked to go pick your own...which usually resulted in bringing back a small twig, haha. There was never any blood or anything but those little things sting, lol.

As far as AP - I don't know how far he took it, but I'm not one that's morally appalled by the thought of whoppin' a child. And heck, looking at the broader issue of absentee fathers in the black community...at least AP is trying to a father.
He took it far enough to leave welts, bruises, and cuts all over his legs and elsewhere. It was bad enough for the doctor to call the cops.

Did your grannies strip you naked and beat you until your back side was covered in open cuts?

This is a muscled-up football player giving a 4 y/o kid a beat down over pushing another kid off a toy.

Nothing about this says Adrian Peterson is trying to be a good father.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
He took it far enough to leave welts, bruises, and cuts all over his legs and elsewhere. It was bad enough for the doctor to call the cops.

Did your grannies strip you naked and beat you until your back side was covered in open cuts?

This is a muscled-up football player giving a 4 y/o kid a beat down over pushing another kid off a toy.

Nothing about this says Adrian Peterson is trying to be a good father.
From what they said on ESPN, one of the grand juries decided to not pursue charges against him - perhaps they thought it wasn't bad enough to be criminal?

I just looked here where it shows the boys wounds and it's a little severe but not really horrific. There's a few nicks where he broke the skin a little. The red welt lines are pretty common for getting spanked with a switch.

Yes, he's a strong muscular guy, but obviously he didn't hit the child as hard as he could have. A 90lb woman could put those marks on a little kid. Let's not hold being a strong football player against him.

The video also said that AP whipped him because he was cursing, pushed another kid off his bike and held a pillow over another kid's face. Perhaps AP hit a little too hard, but where I'm from, a kid gets a good arse whoppin' for those acts. I'm not sure if AP committed a crime or if he should just take a class on parenting or something.

Honestly, everyone in my family was probably whipped that hard or harder a time or two.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:27 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
From what they said on ESPN, one of the grand juries decided to not pursue charges against him - perhaps they thought it wasn't bad enough to be criminal?

I just looked here where it shows the boys wounds and it's a little severe but not really horrific. There's a few nicks where he broke the skin a little. The red welt lines are pretty common for getting spanked with a switch.

Yes, he's a strong muscular guy, but obviously he didn't hit the child as hard as he could have. A 90lb woman could put those marks on a little kid. Let's not hold being a strong football player against him.

The video also said that AP whipped him because he was cursing, pushed another kid off his bike and held a pillow over another kid's face. Perhaps AP hit a little too hard, but where I'm from, a kid gets a good arse whoppin' for those acts. I'm not sure if AP committed a crime or if he should just take a class on parenting or something.
That's the first I've read about the pillow over the face. But even that hardly seems like a beat down offense for a 4 y/o kid. Certainly, not enough to use a switch on his naked body. Did you read where all the cuts and welts were? I did and C-D substituted ******* for one of the words.

You're right. He could have hit him harder. Could have beat him unconscious. Perhaps he's saving that for more severe offenses, such as when the kid sets fire to the house.

But given that this seems to be a little kid pushing another kid off a toy (I think it was described as something hooked to an electronic game), I think stripping him naked and whipping him until blood is drawn is horrific.

Clearly, your opinion differs.

Let me ask you. Should all parents be allowed to whip naked children until they draw blood?

What about broken bones? Knocked out teeth?

Where do you draw the line?

Old 09-13-2014, 07:27 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,804,566 times
Quote:

A four-year-old has barely reached the age where concepts of 'right' and 'wrong' start to form.

Quote:
The beating allegedly resulted in numerous injuries to the child, including cuts and bruises to the child’s back, buttocks, ankles, legs and *******, along with defensive wounds to the child’s hands. Peterson then texted the boy’s mother, saying that one wound in particular would make her “mad at me about his leg. I got kinda good wit the tail end of the switch.”

Peterson also allegedly said via text message to the child’s mother that he “felt bad after the fact when I notice the switch was wrapping around hitting I (sic) thigh” and also acknowledged the injury to the child’s ******* in a text message, saying, “Got him in nuts once I noticed. But I felt so bad, n I’m all tearing that butt up when needed! I start putting them in timeout. N save the whooping for needed memories!”
UPDATED: EXCLUSIVE Details On Adrian Peterson Indictment Charges « CBS Houston

So his discipline includes 'tearing that butt up', but he didn't mean to cut the kids ******* (not sure why City-Data insists on censoring that word - you can all read the article if you can't figure out what the word is, or just read what I highlighted in blue). So go ahead and read it. The facts are not contested. Peterson has admitted it all to law enforcement (shamelesly - apparently he is genuinely mystified at why anyone has a problem with beating a young child with a branch so hard that the welts are still visible almost a week later).

Anyone defending this is a complete idiot.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
A four-year-old has barely reached the age where concepts of 'right' and 'wrong' start to form.
That may be true, but that's when a lot of parents start "tearin' that butt up".

Old 09-13-2014, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
That's the first I've read about the pillow over the face. But even that hardly seems like a beat down offense for a 4 y/o kid. Certainly, not enough to use a switch on his naked body. Did you read where all the cuts and welts were? I did and C-D substituted ******* for one of the words.

You're right. He could have hit him harder. Could have beat him unconscious. Perhaps he's saving that for more severe offenses, such as when the kid sets fire to the house.

But given that this seems to be a little kid pushing another kid off a toy (I think it was described as something hooked to an electronic game), I think stripping him naked and whipping him until blood is drawn is horrific.

Clearly, your opinion differs.

Let me ask you. Should all parents be allowed to whip naked children until they draw blood?

What about broken bones? Knocked out teeth?

Where do you draw the line?
You can dramatize the issue ad infinitum, but for many that have been whipped as part of the discipline process, this is not a "beat down" and certainly doesn't mean broken teeth and bones are in the pipeline. If he really wanted to beat the kid, why use a switch at all? Why not just use his bare hands? AP is probably whipping his child in the same manner he was whipped....and his parents were whipped...and his grandparents, etc.

No, parents shouldn't whip a child until blood is pouring down their legs (creating permanent scars), but I don't know if a few nicks in the skin qualify as a felony. Perhaps a warning and parenting class.

Old 09-13-2014, 07:57 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Surely you can't be serious ... ?
Why wouldn't I be? All I am saying is if I were a black person, I wouldn't whip as a punishment because of it's significance with history. I think some of you are reading more into my question or something because I don't get why apparently some think it was an outrageous question?

Old 09-13-2014, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
Why wouldn't I be? All I am saying is if I were a black person, I wouldn't whip as a punishment because of it's significance with history. I think some of you are reading more into my question or something because I don't get why apparently some think it was an outrageous question?
Whipping kids for acting out probably goes back thousands of years - why should a brief period of history have anything to do with this. I'm sure some African tribes were whipping kids well before any of them were shipped to America.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:30 AM

50,704 posts, read 36,411,320 times
Quote:
Whipping kids for acting out probably goes back thousands of years - why should a brief period of history have anything to do with this. I'm sure some African tribes were whipping kids well before any of them were shipped to America.
Before is different than after, IMO. To me "after" it took on more significance than just a commonly used punishment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events