Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2014, 09:56 AM

13,520 posts, read 22,125,992 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
California may be the land of fruits and nuts, but I actually agree with the court on this one (although not necessarily the amount of monetary damages).

A 1.5 x 3.5 inch beam is not the same as a 2 x 4 beam. If you are buying large quantities of them for a building, it could really cause problems or cost money. First of all, you'd have to pay someone to spend time measuring all of them to see if you really got what you needed - a smaller beam would have less structural strength and may not meet the requirements of the architect or structural engineer. It could also mess up overall dimensions of the building. If they got the wrong size, they'd have to take time to return them to the store, which costs the builders money.

Even flat screen TVs give actual dimensions in addition to saying "48 Inch Class" or something like that. And the size of a TV is much less important unless football is on.

I think if you are a builder or in the construction business, you already know that "2x4" is a naming convention and not the actual measurements.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2014, 10:34 AM

1,645 posts, read 1,213,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
I think if you are a builder or in the construction business, you already know that "2x4" is a naming convention and not the actual measurements.

Going back at least 30 years or more, I remember asking my Dad about 2 X 4's and then asked why they were 1.5" X 3.5"; my Dad then indicated many years prior to that when he was young the 2 x 4 was just that; but latter the manufactures reduced the size, but it never lost its name of 2 x 4. And every hardware store that I have been in, indicates it actual dimensions, so I don't understand what the problem is.

Same as everyone knows the name Sawzall, everyone knows that works with saws knows what a Sawzall is, Milwaukee created and coined the name, but if you are looking for a Sawzall, you are not concerned about the manufacture just the SAW; but if you go looking for anything other than a Milwaukee Sawzall you will be looking for Reciprocating Saw; same thing just a different label. Which is like comparing two different types of apples

Old 09-19-2014, 10:37 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,772,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaypee View Post
Which I am not, so I didn't.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:24 AM

9,127 posts, read 9,366,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AV8n View Post
California may be the land of fruits and nuts, but I actually agree with the court on this one (although not necessarily the amount of monetary damages).

A 1.5 x 3.5 inch beam is not the same as a 2 x 4 beam. If you are buying large quantities of them for a building, it could really cause problems or cost money. First of all, you'd have to pay someone to spend time measuring all of them to see if you really got what you needed - a smaller beam would have less structural strength and may not meet the requirements of the architect or structural engineer. It could also mess up overall dimensions of the building. If they got the wrong size, they'd have to take time to return them to the store, which costs the builders money.

Even flat screen TVs give actual dimensions in addition to saying "48 Inch Class" or something like that. And the size of a TV is much less important unless football is on.
No you don't. Anyone in the building trades will know the difference between 'call size' and actual size. Architects drawing a structure for construction also use correct dimensional values on their drawings, and they are also included in the bill of materials. All dimensional lumber is actually something less than 'call size', and has been since the 50's-60's & maybe even earlier. If you buy a 2x4 from a lumber yard & find it is 1.5" x 3.5" and try to return it for a 2" x 4" board, you will be disappointed. They do not exist. The current sizes of dimensional lumber has been the industry standard for decades.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:37 AM

2,365 posts, read 2,147,805 times
What is wrong with something actually being what the label says it is? As a consumer, I like their our laws actually protect us from fraud.

2x4's were always a little off - but I remember something like 1.75 x 3.75. *shrugs*

The whole case sounds a little cheesy, but in a world where everyone and everything is being downsized, its good to see there are still a few bells and whistles going off somewhere out there.

Old 09-19-2014, 11:54 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,394,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woundedknee View Post
Lowe’s pays $1.6M settlement over 2×4 labeling

You got to be kidding me....why isn't the judge,lawyers and all others participates tossed out of the court room? Can it get more frivolous than this?
Why? Because judges and lawyers are in cahoots with each other. The "one" can only survive due to the existence of the "other."

If you want a more visual description of this vile phenomenon, please read Khalil Gibran's short story titled Satan?

To end this brief comment with a comedic twist, please answer the following question:
Q - What do you have, when you have a lawyer up to his neck in cement?
A - NOT ENOUGH CEMENT!

Old 09-19-2014, 01:09 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,330,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wendell Phillips View Post
Truth in advertising and consumer protection are not frivolous matters.
And speaking of "consumer protection"

"The State is the Great Fiction (fraud) by which everyone tries to have his way -- at the expense of everybody else"

(Frederic Bastiat -- French Finance Minister c. 1850)

Old 09-19-2014, 01:50 PM

2,836 posts, read 3,495,359 times
The problem of false advertising is ubiquitous - it runs the gamut of products and services. Without adequate regulation and effective enforcement, we are at the mercy of unscrupulous merchants, producers and suppliers. (Today, the problem is the most serious with the imports from China; which products pose a substantial danger to public health and safety.) Truth in advertising is essential in promoting confidence in the marketplace. Our very economic health and well-being is dependent upon it.

Old 09-19-2014, 02:36 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,906 times
It is a shame that lawyers and judges (who are also lawyers of course) are allowed to impose such unreasonable penalties on businesses that are in no way trying to deceive their customers. I wonder if any motorcycle manufacturer has ever been sued because their 500cc model was actually 497cc. I'm all for consumer protection, but businesses are being nit-picked to death in this Country.

Old 09-19-2014, 03:44 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,784 times
If I were a forum administrator and could somehow be sure which of the posters in this thread had never used a hammer before I would delete their posts and suspend their accounts for a month.

How much more is each 2x4 going to cost after this, just to pay for the settlement?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events