U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2014, 12:07 AM

30,702 posts, read 33,496,337 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
We live in a different time these days, not like your grandpappies.

This woman isn't burning any bridges, maybe the one where she worked.

You see, this is a new 'viral' internet age we live in.

Everyone wants their 15 minutes of fame, and what better way than to do it in a way that 'appeals' to us common folk. You know, like quitting a job in a dramatic way that many of us wouldn't dream of doing, like that flight attendant who busted out of that emergency exit a few years ago and became a national news story and 'folk hero.'

Soon this lady will be making the talk show circuit, and who knows where else from there. Maybe a talk show host, the sky is the limit. She got her face and name out there, that's what counts.
I was going to post the same thing. While I personally think it was tasteless/classless/whatever I've learned the hard way that my feelings about things aren't the same as those of today's younger people.

I'm not even convinced she's going to make anything off this talk show wise, but I'm pretty sure it won't stop anyone from hiring her down the line. Just like people who have tattoos, this isn't a big deal to a huge part of the population....the ones who the future belongs to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2014, 12:23 AM

17,318 posts, read 10,225,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
I was going to post the same thing. While I personally think it was tasteless/classless/whatever I've learned the hard way that my feelings about things aren't the same as those of today's younger people.

I'm not even convinced she's going to make anything off this talk show wise, but I'm pretty sure it won't stop anyone from hiring her down the line. Just like people who have tattoos, this isn't a big deal to a huge part of the population....the ones who the future belongs to.
Exactly.

We live in different times these days.

I was a bit exaggerating with the talk show thing, but you get my idea.

Old 09-23-2014, 12:38 AM

9,829 posts, read 5,494,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I agree with the rest, not smart burning bridges and I have news for this newscaster. As a retiree who was in the workforce for forty or so years no job is perfect. She will probably never be satisfied wherever she works and that includes working in any environment where she has to deal with other human beings.

Rather than being known as "The girl who quit her job with a bang," she might become known as the "The girl who quit her job and can't get another because she did a really dumb thing."

Today's satisfaction can be tomorrow's folly.
Burned bridges with her work and probably burned them with any friends she had there. The news anchor didn't look too happy, handled it pretty well, but it probably be one of those things where they never talk again.

Ie, "DON'T YOU DARE DO THAT TO MY PROGRAM!".

Old 09-23-2014, 01:12 AM

1,351 posts, read 1,281,065 times
LOL, that news anchor in pink was just legit shook. I felt bad for her.

As for the "F*** it" lady...well she'll get her brief interview run throughout the talk show and/or morning show circuits, then the world will quickly cease caring about her and move on to whatever's next. Unexpected "shocking" incidents are a dime a dozen these days. Yawn.

Old 09-23-2014, 01:47 AM

10,102 posts, read 6,328,371 times
"Ah, F--- it, I quit!"

Why the aggression, why the anxiety and drama? She left her the station and her coworkers hanging, why no two weeks notice? Oh wait, I forgot that she's a pothead.

Old 09-23-2014, 02:54 AM

8,967 posts, read 6,505,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by take57 View Post
In no stretch of the imagination did it cost her "a lot of money". General Assignment reporter in Anchorage? $25K-$30K/yr. tops, if even that. Future earnings? Possibly higher, but if you're in your late twenties and working TV news in Alaska chances are the networks aren't exactly lining up for your services.

Fact of the matter is a cocktail waitress displaying any amount of hustle, working anywhere other than a dive bar is probably pulling down twice as much as the "F-bomb" girl.

If her pot business takes off she could probably buy the whole TV station. Calculated risk.
What a bizarre post.

It never crossed my mind that at her age she would be thinking long term for a small paycheck in Alaska.

I can't believe I have to type this but most in her profession at least have the goal to move on to bigger and better things. Obviously that is what I meant.

Last edited by John13; 09-23-2014 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 09-23-2014, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Another reason not to smoke marijuana.
Liquor is far worse.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravityMan View Post
LOL, that news anchor in pink was just legit shook. I felt bad for her.

As for the "F*** it" lady...well she'll get her brief interview run throughout the talk show and/or morning show circuits, then the world will quickly cease caring about her and move on to whatever's next. Unexpected "shocking" incidents are a dime a dozen these days. Yawn.
I can see most all distancing themselves from her. She is pretty much toast.

She did her supporters for the cause no favors.

Old 09-23-2014, 03:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
"Ah, F--- it, I quit!"

Why the aggression, why the anxiety and drama? She left her the station and her coworkers hanging, why no two weeks notice? Oh wait, I forgot that she's a pothead.
Reeks with ignorance, especially the "aggression" part.

Old 09-23-2014, 06:47 AM

8,056 posts, read 7,315,809 times
Quote:
Alaska allows for legal, medical marijuana use, thanks to a 1998 ballot measure. Under the measure, patients suffering from cancer, glaucoma, HIV/AIDS, epilepsy, MS and other ailments are able to obtain approval to possess, use and grow small amounts of the substance as part of their treatment, with a doctor's certification.

But cannabis advocates in the state -- including Greene's club -- argue that the laws are too vague to safely and legally allow patients to access the substance, even with that approval. Under the current law, cardholders may possess a small amount of marijuana and grow a small number of plants for personal use or for other cardholders in the state.

That's where it gets trickier, advocates argue, because the law is quiet on how cardholders can actually buy what they need to grow the plant or otherwise obtain marijuana for medical use if they're unable to grow it themselves. In other words, a cardholder can grow marijuana for his or her own use (and give away the plant to other approved cardholders), but it's still not really legal to sell marijuana in Alaska.

Greene's club was the subject of an August Alaska Dispatch News story, which noted that the club's founder spoke to the paper "on the condition of anonymity, citing concern over potential repercussions from her employer." In the story, the founder (presumably Greene) explained how her club has set up something of a stop-gap, work-around to help get patients access to cannabis.

Instead of buying marijuana from a grower, club members agree to give "donations" covering the cost of growing the substance to the person growing the plants. Patient and supplier are then paired up, and the club steps out of the picture. Understandably, the Dispatch referred to this system as operating within a "legal gray area" in the state. Which is why Greene's club is trying to change Alaska's laws.
Alaska reporter quits on live TV after a segment about the medical marijuana club she runs - The Washington Post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or