Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 11:35 AM

1,782 posts, read 2,744,550 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelizard860 View Post
Truth is most cops never shoot their weapon in their entire career. This guy in the video is a complete nutcase with a gun and a badge and an itchy trigger finger. Unfortunately, police brutality happens more than people would like to think.
That may have been true a few years ago, but I'm not sure it's true now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2014, 11:44 AM

189 posts, read 275,673 times
Quote:
This guy in the video is a complete nutcase with a gun and a badge and an itchy trigger finger.
And yet I'll bet you at least 50% of the population would defend his right to do what he did to their dying breath. That's the part that scares me... that cops (even if just a few) can go crazy and start shooting people, and we as a society can't even get on the same page and agree it's something that should be condemned.

Quote:
I want to remind people that the police are just people doing a job. They aren't out to get you, they're just doing their job to protect the community. Don't argue with them, don't have "an attitude". There's really no reason for that.
And take heed, 'cause if you DO take an attitude, they will be totally within their rights to draw down and shoot you dead.

Quote:
Nope, the trigger happy PTSD havin skittish cops will shoot and beat anyone who tickles them funny.
I think there's some truth to this. I've seen plenty of videos, even on COPS-style reality shows and the like, of five or six cops forcing to the ground, punching, night-sticking, and sitting on... a heavyset middle-aged white woman. I honestly think it's a situation where, if you make the slightest wrong move or the tiniest miscommunication occurs, you're in danger of at least getting your a** kicked, if not shot in the head.

Last edited by BonyT; 09-28-2014 at 11:53 AM..

Old 09-28-2014, 12:17 PM

14,935 posts, read 12,132,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

Police Shoot Unarmed Man When Asked To Get His ID Cop Arrested! - YouTube

"Can I see your license?"

If you reach for it, they will shoot you. If you don't, they will shoot you anyway. You are screwed either way.

Every time I survive an encounter with a cop, I thank god that the thug didn't shoot me, or try and frame me for something.
That video does look bad, I admit, the police officer trigger happy as he shot the guy as he came back out of his car- I don't think he could have seen for sure that the guy had a gun, but apparently assumed he did. Or the shooting was a reflex action, but in this case likely shot an innocent man who was just reaching for his license. It shouldn't have happened, and I'd agree that this officer shouldn't be loose on the street if his reflexes are those of someone with PTSD, shooting first and asking questions later.

I wonder what would have happened had the guy thought to inform the officer that his license was in the car- either in the glovebox or a bag, or something, waited for the officer's acknowledgement, then gone in to get the license, and backed out slowly, then gave the officer his license. While it's certainly not a law to do this, and a person stopped for a traffic violation is not a criminal for quickly moving to retrieve a license without telling the cop what he was doing, authorities do recommend that when someone is stopped and asked for his license by a police officer, that the person tell the officer his license is in ( glovebox, purse, pocket, wherever) and that he's getting it, then doing so. It's because officers have been in the line of fire, shot and killed under similar circumstances numerous times, and they do deal with the dregs of humanity and come out the worse for wear, that they tend to be paranoid when the circumstances occur. IMO perhaps this message should be spread among the public in general, because most people don't think about it.

Meanwhile, I hope the guy who was shot is ok, and I'm sure he'll be suing the county/state for his injuries and losses. I know I would.

Last edited by Travelassie; 09-28-2014 at 12:36 PM..

Old 09-28-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I have never been told that in my entire life, and I would not think twice about leaning into my car to get my ID out my bag. And I have been pulled over and reached into my bag and nobody shot or pulled a gun on me. Frankly, it would have never crossed my mind. But I'm white.

I have seen countless interviews of blacks who have said they told their children things like this, because they are treated differently by police. And the fact is that they are. Self-appointed HOA cop Zimmerman would never have followed me, even if I had a sweatshirt on. So let's not pretend that we are all trained to behave as if police are the enemy so we better behave, because middle class whites are not taught these street survival skills that black kids have to learn. We were always told the cops were the good guys and we acted accordingly.
Actually, I've heard it recommended by authorities for everyone who's stopped and asked for ID/license, etc. That's everyone, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, age... But I don't think it comes as second nature for people ( of any ethnicity, race, etc) do do anything but move suddenly to comply with a request, and they don't think to put an officer ease about the possibility of being shot at by a weapon drawn suddenly out of a glove box, pocket, or somewhere by informing them where they're getting that license before they do it. IMO this message should be put out there for the general public's information, perhaps a public service announcement, or message from local or state law enforcement agencies...

Old 09-28-2014, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpencerMtn View Post
Or more common!
That isn't true. No one hears about the good cops.

Old 09-28-2014, 12:52 PM

189 posts, read 275,673 times
And whether it does or it doesn't, the fact remains that failing to inform a police officer of your intention to reach for your wallet, etc. should not be an offense punishable by death.

People keep suggesting things the VICTIMS should have done that might have reduced the likelihood of a terrible outcome, but that just comes across as a bunch of folks telling rape victims not to wear skimpy clothes. The main point is that the officers' actions were not justified, no matter anything. As a cop, you fire on someone when you have compelling evidence that your life may be in danger. Not until.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:04 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyT View Post
And whether it does or it doesn't, the fact remains that failing to inform a police officer of your intention to reach for your wallet, etc. should not be an offense punishable by death.

People keep suggesting things the VICTIMS should have done that might have reduced the likelihood of a terrible outcome, but that just comes across as a bunch of folks telling rape victims not to wear skimpy clothes. The main point is that the officers' actions were not justified, no matter anything. As a cop, you fire on someone when you have compelling evidence that your life may be in danger. Not until.
Honestly this right here, this particular cop was an incompetent **** with no concept of PID. People need to stop making excuses for his incompetence, if I had did this in Afghanistan I would have been sitting in a military prison right now.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:25 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonyT View Post
And yet I'll bet you at least 50% of the population would defend his right to do what he did to their dying breath. That's the part that scares me... that cops (even if just a few) can go crazy and start shooting people, and we as a society can't even get on the same page and agree it's something that should be condemned.

And take heed, 'cause if you DO take an attitude, they will be totally within their rights to draw down and shoot you dead.

I think there's some truth to this. I've seen plenty of videos, even on COPS-style reality shows and the like, of five or six cops forcing to the ground, punching, night-sticking, and sitting on... a heavyset middle-aged white woman. I honestly think it's a situation where, if you make the slightest wrong move or the tiniest miscommunication occurs, you're in danger of at least getting your a** kicked, if not shot in the head.
Agreed.
Yeah....accepting this behavior from the police will lead to a true "police state"(like Nazi Germany).... "Let me see your papers"

A country where the police answer to no one and act as government agents that can kill/maim citizens without consequences.

What a bunch of sheep for anyone to be defending this video.

There seems to be a mentality by some that you have nothing to fear from the "authorities(ie police) and we should give them as much power as they want. History has proven this to be deadly.

Old 09-28-2014, 01:49 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,628,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RosemaryT View Post
I've been hesitant to comment on this thread because I can see this from the cop's perspective.

The kid was moving mighty fast and he really should have said, "Officer, my license is inside the car."

And the cop kept ordering him to NOT go into the car, and kid ignored it.

But given the political climate we're in right now, all cops are guilty until proven innocent, and I think that's a real shame.

What video did you watch? What kid are you talking about?

If anyone was a "kid" in this situation it would be the cop who was 4yrs younger at 31(but looks younger) than the 35 year old MAN he shot.

Please do us a favor, if you're ever called for jury duty find a way out of it.

Old 09-28-2014, 02:12 PM

2,601 posts, read 3,396,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
What video did you watch? What kid are you talking about?

If anyone was a "kid" in this situation it would be the cop who was 4yrs younger at 31(but looks younger) than the 35 year old MAN he shot.

Please do us a favor, if you're ever called for jury duty find a way out of it.
LOL!
Everyone is a "KID" nowadays. Boston bombers(19,26), adam lanza(20) It's ABSURD! You're an adult at 18.
Whatever happened to 18 is an adult. What a strange culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events