U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 09-29-2014, 01:46 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,522 posts, read 7,468,006 times
Reputation: 10927

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trishguard View Post
They are calling for laws to be changed, not broken. These people are real. I remember they were in the news many years ago advocating that their desired activity be decriminalized. So it's exactly the same free speech.

I still say it does not apply because they are advocating for something that is a crime. They also pose a real danger to children. Again free speech never protected people like this. Not much different than profane language on TV or pornography on TV. These things violate the rights of others so they are not protected. I think everyone is missing my point. I don't care what happens to that miserable woman, but I do care about our freedom to express ourselves. This could lead to millions being silenced by their employer. Freedom can be so easily lost, the fact that no one on this whole thread sees my point clearly illustrates how vulnerable our freedom is becoming. In the future Big Brother may be a partnership between government and corporations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 09-29-2014, 01:48 AM
 
Location: Caverns measureless to man...
7,247 posts, read 4,678,273 times
Reputation: 16403
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post

However what she was fired for was her very vocal political activism and that to me is why I have a problem with it.
I'm afraid you're wrong, and completely misunderstanding the circumstances.

The woman was not fired for what she believed, or even for expressing her beliefs - she was fired because she went out of her way to harass innocent people who were minding their own business, and then posting a video online to brag about harassing them. She went to considerable lengths to draw as much public attention as possible to the fact that she was harassing them. By doing so, she drew attention not only to herself, but - because she represents her employer in a professional capacity - to her employer, which potentially caused a great deal of economic harm to their company.

As a publicly traded company, Coldwell Banker has a fiduciary responsibility to their stockholders to protect the image of their brand. When one of their professional employees willfully and flagrantly damages the image of the brand with reckless, unprofessional personal conduct, Coldwell Banker is not only within their rights to severe ties with that employee - you could argue that they have a duty to their shareholders to fire her. People who are employed in a professional capacity usually understand this - that the boundary between their personal and professional life is not always distinct, and that their personal conduct can sometimes have professional consequences. As hers did in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Freedom can be so easily lost, the fact that no one on this whole thread sees my point clearly illustrates how vulnerable our freedom is becoming.
No offense, but... another possibility is that it clearly illustrates that your point is not a very good one. Sorry, but when you have this many people all disagreeing with you about the same thing, it could mean that you're the one who's missing the point. Just something to consider...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2014, 02:29 AM
 
3,723 posts, read 4,592,227 times
Reputation: 4746
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
I still say it does not apply because they are advocating for something that is a crime. They also pose a real danger to children. Again free speech never protected people like this. Not much different than profane language on TV or pornography on TV. These things violate the rights of others so they are not protected. I think everyone is missing my point. I don't care what happens to that miserable woman, but I do care about our freedom to express ourselves. This could lead to millions being silenced by their employer. Freedom can be so easily lost, the fact that no one on this whole thread sees my point clearly illustrates how vulnerable our freedom is becoming. In the future Big Brother may be a partnership between government and corporations.
I am in no way supporting these people but you seem to want to miss the point. Advocating that marijuana, prostitution, assisted suicide, or consensual sex with a minor be made legal in and of themselves are not a crime and are free and protected speech. Engaging in the behavior is a crime. Regardless, an employer has a right to fire anyone if it feels that these acts of free speech damage their brand or their bottom line when the person's activities become associated with them.



Anyway, isn't free speech so that we can speak out about and against our government without fear of reprisals from our government? Not so that we can harass anyone we want when we feel a case of diarrhea of the mouth coming on or want to record it for posterity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2014, 02:42 AM
 
Location: Somewhere below Mason/Dixon
6,522 posts, read 7,468,006 times
Reputation: 10927
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I'm afraid you're wrong, and completely misunderstanding the circumstances.

The woman was not fired for what she believed, or even for expressing her beliefs - she was fired because she went out of her way to harass innocent people who were minding their own business, and then posting a video online to brag about harassing them. She went to considerable lengths to draw as much public attention as possible to the fact that she was harassing them. By doing so, she drew attention not only to herself, but - because she represents her employer in a professional capacity - to her employer, which potentially caused a great deal of economic harm to their company.

As a publicly traded company, Coldwell Banker has a fiduciary responsibility to their stockholders to protect the image of their brand. When one of their professional employees willfully and flagrantly damages the image of the brand with reckless, unprofessional personal conduct, Coldwell Banker is not only within their rights to severe ties with that employee - you could argue that they have a duty to their shareholders to fire her. People who are employed in a professional capacity usually understand this - that the boundary between their personal and professional life is not always distinct, and that their personal conduct can sometimes have professional consequences. As hers did in this case.



No offense, but... another possibility is that it clearly illustrates that your point is not a very good one. Sorry, but when you have this many people all disagreeing with you about the same thing, it could mean that you're the one who's missing the point. Just something to consider...

I think this is very straight forward, and no I am not the one missing the point. There have been a lot of sophisticated arguments here for why she should be fired. The bottom line is she was fired for making public her racist views about Mexicans. This had nothing to do with her selling houses (if that is what she did), most customers would NEVER have connected her rant with the Coldwell Banker brand. Meaning the brand was not damaged in any way. What has been damaged is the average Americans right to speak out, this incident (along with others) have made it clear your freedom of speech does not apply when you boss hears it. You suggest since I am the only one with a problem with this because I am the one not getting it, I stongly disagree. I think this forum is largely made up of folks from the millennial generation (not all of course) and that generation believes strongly in political correctness, multiculturalism, and even your right to go through life without being offended. The millenials are the most liberal generation in history and they are willing to accept a lot of limitations to their freedoms in order to move the liberal agenda forward. This is what is most disturbing about all of this. The freedom of speech and expression is far more important than someone being offended by the rants of one simple minded racist. Like I said before she should be in jail for trespassing and harassment. One big question I have here is why was she not arrested for committing a crime and posting it to you tube.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2014, 03:05 AM
 
Location: Ouachita Mtns of Arkansas
1,974 posts, read 2,716,867 times
Reputation: 3626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse44 View Post
Who cares?
I don't in this case. Now, if the Mexican flag was on a pole and flying OVER the American flag, I would protest like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3HVaC_czx4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2014, 03:41 AM
 
5,163 posts, read 2,781,825 times
Reputation: 8275
I am no patriot. However, when the demographic of my 20+ year neighborhood radically changed due to the subpar, NINJA loans, Mexican flags were suddenly being flown all over. My feelings about this are:

1. This is the USA. The only flag that should be flown is the Stars and Stripes. Period.

2. If you live in SoCal, you need to keep your mouth shut about this for your own safety, or move, as SoCal is no longer part of the USA. Fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2014, 05:47 AM
 
Location: Johns Creek, GA
2,009 posts, read 2,145,810 times
Reputation: 2282
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Too bad the freedom of speech no longer applies. We are soon becoming like England where it's illegal to offend someone.
I think a lot of people (like you) don't understand what freedom of speech means. Try reading the Constitution. Slowly, and have someone explain it to you if you can't understand it yourself.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The first amendment (aka "freedom of speech") protects you from limitation of your speech/ideas and persecution by the goverment for expressing those ideas. This is less a personal right and more a limitation on the powers of Congress (nor is it absolute) on trying to condone or dissuade the content of speech. It is not any sort of shield to protect you from the consequences of what other people think of your speech.

Other private citizens, corporations, education institutions are completely allowed to place whatever sanctions they see fit on you if they don't like what you're saying.

There are plenty of website that cover the concept of free speech. Feel free to read them (I won't hold my breath, since you apparently weren't interested enough to pay attention in high school civics).

Also, consider this quote from Mark Twain, a pretty outspoken author:

""It is by the goodness of God that in our country we have those three unspeakably precious things: freedom of speech, freedom of conscience, and the prudence never to practice either of them.""
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2014, 09:00 AM
 
Location: Cali
3,904 posts, read 6,199,896 times
Reputation: 2224
Quote:
Originally Posted by thisplacesucks View Post
If you live in SoCal, you need to keep your mouth shut about this for your own safety, or move, as SoCal is no longer part of the USA. Fact.
"Mexifornia"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2014, 09:02 AM
MJ7
 
6,221 posts, read 8,644,972 times
Reputation: 6514
Sounds like she was fired from her job for cause, and I doubt the unemployment office will see it any other way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-29-2014, 09:42 AM
 
Location: Texas
1,324 posts, read 1,108,697 times
Reputation: 1837
Wow Tress Capps sounds like a Nazi in the video. I cannot imagine the gall of her to not understand why anyone is angry. Watch the video before commenting. Can you imagine someone walking in your yard and talking to you thru an open window about something you choose to have in your yard? This woman is sick.

I am glad she lost her job. She needs to get a new perspective on her boundaries to others. Do unto others as you would want others to do unto you. If she has an ugly birdbath in her yard would it be ok for some person who was offended to come in her yard and videotape her thru an open window questioning her about her birdbath?

Rude woman, beyond rude.

So many people are sadly being influenced by the ignorant who ask ignorant questions, give each other ignorant answers who then feel justified by making stupid actions. I feel this Capps woman was threatened by the foreignness of this family, she has been told some untruths about America(America is white and unethnic) and she put them into action wither her rude questions. All the while ignoring the bigger picture that when we put aside common decency for a cause that is on unfounded ground we set ourselves up for a fall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top