Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2014, 02:48 PM

29,505 posts, read 22,616,067 times

Advertisements

I'm sure some will disagree with me, but an overreaction on the part of this woman filming.

Woman Who Really Hates Mexican Flag Loses Her Job Over Hatred Of Mexican Flag

Quote:
The woman, Tressy Capps, a political activist and a city council candidate in a town amid the Inland Empire’s endless suburbia, placed the video on YouTube on Aug. 11, 2014.

“Hello? Hi. Is that a Mexican flag in your front yard,” Capps asks, pleasantly enough, in the video.

The woman to whom she is speaking, Maria Banuelos, is standing behind a window. Banuelos doesn’t respond because she doesn’t speak English, reports CBS Los Angeles.

Undaunted, Capps continues.

“You know we live in America right?” Capps then says. “This is the United States. So, why are you flying a Mexican flag in your front yard?”

She then suggests that the woman behind the window “move to Mexico if you want to fly your Mexican flag.”
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 02:52 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Too bad the freedom of speech no longer applies. We are soon becoming like England where it's illegal to offend someone.

Old 09-27-2014, 02:55 PM

19,821 posts, read 12,084,715 times
Capps is obviously not very bright. She is entitled to her feelings but she probably should have kept them to herself considering her occupation and location. Working for a real estate company in California and insulting a Mexican family for flying their flag and then putting the video on youtube is career suicide. She might want to move out of Cali if she feels that way.

Old 09-27-2014, 03:36 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,218,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Too bad the freedom of speech no longer applies. We are soon becoming like England where it's illegal to offend someone.
Was she arrested? Freedom of Speech means she can legally say what she wants (look it up), but that doesn't mean there won't be consequences. In no way is her employer obligated to put up with the nonsense that spews out of her big yap.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:30 PM

506 posts, read 326,468 times
If she wants to keep her job, maybe she could stop saying words that her employer clearly would not like.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:47 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,982,518 times
Quote:
She has a right to her opinion who said she didn't? But I would suggest she make certain it is in fact illegal to fly the Mexican flag as these people were doing and then take proper steps through city/county channels. She said, "Taking a position on an issue does not make me evil, racist or unethical if I disagree with your position". Everyone has an opinion but she is not a member of code enforcement or the police department and had no reason to engage this woman in conversation about this topic. And she was trespassing on their property, lucky she didn't get herself shot or assaulted. And this fool is a candidate for city council. How anyone could side with her on this is beyond me.

This woman is a totally idiot. Funny that she then turns it around and she becomes the victim when she is the one that started the whole thing. She complains, "My life is being threatened and the business I built for 30 years has suffered over a flag video". Capps wrote in a Facebook post. “My son is being bullied at school now and for that I am devastated". Hey moron, ya might have thought of that before you put the video on youtube. You have a kid in school in the town, you work in the area in a sales capacity. It's not exactly good PR for the real estate firm, so certainly that sacked her. How she had a career for 30 years is another mystery.

I could care less if they fly the flag. New Yorkers come from many countries, they have their cultural parades and fly flags at times throughout the year. Is this Mexican flag flying really the biggest problem that Ontario, California has?? I certainly doubt it.

Old 09-27-2014, 04:54 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
She has a right to her opinion who said she didn't? But I would suggest she make certain it is in fact illegal to fly the Mexican flag as these people were doing and then take proper steps through city/county channels.

I could care less if they fly the flag.
My Right of Free Speech statements applies to all parties. The lady flying the flag and the lady who protests the flag.

How politically correct should we be when your neighbor flies his ISIS Flag ? Should an employer be offended by the protest of an ISIS Flag ?

Old 09-27-2014, 06:00 PM

18,122 posts, read 25,262,858 times
A lot people offended by a Mexican person flying the mexican flag
Got a Confederate flag flying in their property (Attacked American soldiers and wanted to break away from the United States)

Old 09-27-2014, 06:30 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,982,518 times
Quote:
My Right of Free Speech statements applies to all parties. The lady flying the flag and the lady who protests the flag.

How politically correct should we be when your neighbor flies his ISIS Flag ? Should an employer be offended by the protest of an ISIS Flag ?
And you put the Mexican flag in the same category as a terrorist organizations flag? You do realize the difference between a country and a terrorist group, I hope. And by the way, we gave Mexico in the neighborhood of 269 million in FY 2013.

The fact is this lady had no business on their property, she was trespassing. Her concerns should have been addressed through proper channels. If I choose to fly a South African flag at times just because I think it's a cool flag and I like that country, what business is that of anyone else's as long it's not a hazard of some sort. Come to my door and see how you will be treated for spouting off about it. This woman was a lot nicer than I would have been. This old bag is not a city official, it's not illegal, get off my property.

The real issue with this woman is not the flag but illegal immigration. That is a separate issue from this topic. As long as these people came here legally, I could care less what they do. They can fly their Mexican flag when they see fit.

I wonder if it had been a Canadian flag, or the flag of Ireland would she have found any fault at all? What if it had been a Philippines flag, there are many Phil-Am's about, they are a proud people too. And I suppose she hates those people that have flags on their cars as well. How ridiculous it all is. So many big issues and people whining over a flag. Really beyond pathetic.

Last edited by todd00; 09-27-2014 at 06:50 PM..

Old 09-27-2014, 06:51 PM

3,379 posts, read 5,532,636 times
Who cares? Don't be a douche like that. Would she have cared if it was a Fin flying a Finnish flag? No. Probably not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events