Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 10:23 AM

1,487 posts, read 1,786,765 times

Advertisements

80's kid here...pretty sad but on the bright side there's disney tv and all that kid-specific programming that was not around much during our childhood, plus youtube etc. plenty of kid entertainment, but yes it's not the same as waking up to your kid special morning of Smurfs, Dungeons and Dragons, Winnie the Pooh, Bugs bunny, etc.

adams..Sat morning was the kid's little vacation from studying all week, everyone needs a break, especially little kids
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 11:59 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,108,708 times
Man, talk about an end of an era. Remember how you knew cartoons were over and it was time to go outside and play when Soul Train came on?

Old 09-29-2014, 12:24 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Man, talk about an end of an era. Remember how you knew cartoons were over and it was time to go outside and play when Soul Train came on?
My sibs and I grew up on Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, etc. Saturday morning was a special time.

My 9-year-old watches all kinds of stuff on Youtube, though -- Magic School Bus, Clifford, Berenstain Bears, etc. It's OK stuff for her to watch. We had to put unlock codes on all our phones and other devices, though, because the video watching was getting out of hand. Once or twice a week is OK, but getting up at 6am and watching in bed for 90 minutes every morning is NOT ok!

Old 09-29-2014, 12:26 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NLVgal View Post
Until we were old enough to come in when Soul Train came on.

But yes, Saturday morning cartoons were something to look forward to all week - sitting in our jammies, eating cereal in front of the TV. It was the only time in the week we were allowed to watch TV while eating.

Old 09-29-2014, 12:44 PM

28,226 posts, read 36,855,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
The link didn't help at all. I still refuse to believe that there is not ONE cartoon playing on ANY channel ANYWHERE on a Sautrday morning.

Surprise surprise, it's not true
Gotta See Saturdays - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
The OP said broadcast tv. Aka the major unlock networks (that you can access via an antenna)

Old 09-29-2014, 12:47 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,195,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
My sibs and I grew up on Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, etc. Saturday morning was a special time.
Not to mention The Banana Splits, The Archies, Puf N Stuff, Lidsville, Pebbles and Bam Bam, and so much more!

Old 09-29-2014, 02:29 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,888,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post

Broadcast TV is dying anyway. I doubt that anyone cares.

Really? I refuse to pay $100 monthly for something I rarely use.

As far as broadcast, lots of people care and are going back as it is free and up to 50 channels of the same programming as found on cable/satellite can be found. I watch news and sports. I also get more realistic HD over the air than with cable/satellite as the signal isn't compressed to fit withing bandwidth allocations. Sunday football games, especially last night's DAL-NO game was spectacular. Best thing...I don't pay for it.

Keep paying $$$$ for what you don't use. Do you watch at least 1 hour a week watching each channel? I bet most skip 50% of the channels they get. Why can't you get it ala carte?

Look up some over the air sites and find out.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:38 PM

17,273 posts, read 9,551,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

Really? I refuse to pay $100 monthly for something I rarely use.

As far as broadcast, lots of people care and are going back as it is free and up to 50 channels of the same programming as found on cable/satellite can be found. I watch news and sports. I also get more realistic HD over the air than with cable/satellite as the signal isn't compressed to fit withing bandwidth allocations. Sunday football games, especially last night's DAL-NO game was spectacular. Best thing...I don't pay for it.

Keep paying $$$$ for what you don't use. Do you watch at least 1 hour a week watching each channel? I bet most skip 50% of the channels they get. Why can't you get it ala carte?

Look up some over the air sites and find out.
I don't have cable, got rid of it like 4 years ago. I don't miss it.....although if I'm petsitting or at my parents, I do tend to watch it, lol. Anyway, I rarely watch my antenna tv, and I do mean rarely. I end up flipping flipping flipping & then the reception is crap just all the time. Windy out? Have to get up every 5 minutes. Cloudy out? Same thing. The adjusting of the antenna is like my own personal purgatory when I do end up watching tv. 99.999% of the time, I watch Netflix & for any shows that are not on Netflix or on regular tv that I want to see, such as The Walking Dead, thank god for Amazon. I just buy the episodes the day after they air for $1.99/episode & they're in my video library forever, I can watch them anytime as many times as I want. I've got seasons 2-4 of Walking Dead in my library, I love it. So I can't see ever needing cable again. You should look into Netflix or Amazon if you're not finding what you need on regular antenna tv.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:08 PM

914 posts, read 765,545 times
They have like a bazillion cartoon networks which have replaced Saturday morning children's tv.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:16 PM

6,380 posts, read 6,270,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
The link didn't help at all. I still refuse to believe that there is not ONE cartoon playing on ANY channel ANYWHERE on a Sautrday morning.

Surprise surprise, it's not true
Gotta See Saturdays - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
That's not what the OP said. NETWORK TV is the key word. Those are on cable or part of the preschool block I mentioned. If you clicked the link, you would see the stat. If you didnt believe it, you only had to then click one more link of "Saturday morning cartoons" that makes the current info more crystal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events