Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2014, 11:12 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,585,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by headingtoDenver View Post
There are many reasons why officers will ask you to step out of the car and the number 1 reason would be safety. By having you out of the car, they can control the situation better. The officers have no clue if you are hiding a gun in the glove box or under the seat.

That's the case in this issue. The passenger refused to lower the window more than half way, he refused to give his name and refused to get out of the vehicle. At this point, the driver tried to put the car in 'drive' and flee the scene. Obviously the officers felt threatened enough to put a spike strip in front of her car. At this point, she put it back into park and the passenger started reaching for something in the back seat.

Neither cooperated with the officers and the passenger was tased and arrested for his own stupidity.
So my safety is of less importance over the officers? I'm a law abiding citizen and I would fear of being assaulted by a cop or tased if I got out of the car. I don't trust cops at all these days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2014, 05:47 AM

3,658 posts, read 2,559,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
So my safety is of less importance over the officers? I'm a law abiding citizen and I would fear of being assaulted by a cop or tased if I got out of the car. I don't trust cops at all these days.
Well by all means do EXACTLY what the guy in the video did and see how that works out for you. This attitude of, nobody is going to tell me what to do, in society is ridiculous. He wasn't asking the guy to doing anything that was difficult.

Old 10-10-2014, 06:58 AM

1,899 posts, read 3,955,099 times
In my state, police can ask any driver or passenger to step out of the vehicle. Refusing to step out can result in arrest. I'm guessing that's what happened with the bozo in the video. Had he stepped out of the vehicle, they would have talked to him and released him if he didn't do anything. He obviously acted nervously or did something for them to request him to step out.

On a related note, I've found that most of the internet trolls who bash the police and call them names like "domestic terrorists" turn out to be people who have been arrested or ticketed, and they've never been taught personal responsibility for one's actions. It's always someone else's fault. Am I saying every officer is perfect and always right? Heck no. There are bad officers, but 99% of them are just trying to do their job the best they can. Someone has to do it. Every occupation has its fair share of idiots. In this case, the passenger was the idiot, not the officers.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:07 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,596,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by budlight View Post
This is the thug mentality. Never cooperate with the police. It is a sign of weakness to comply. To comply with the police is against their creed. See how well that worked out for this guy. He could of been on his way, but no, lets cause a scene and then go cry about it with a lawsuit.
Yea, well, this woman got out of the car....Fake Cop Pulls Over Woman In Plano, Rapes Her « CBS Chicago
Woman raped after she was pulled over. If anyone uses the caution they are telling people to use like driving somewhere safe before pulling over or waiting to get out of the car after calling the police to confirm they might be zapped or shot by the officer first for taking so long. It's a no win.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/video/75...ano-rapes-her/
Dallas police officer raped woman using public trust. This guy abused a lot of people, and he is a real officer. It's gross, and what can you do. If you are worried about it, and take too long to obey commands, they will beat you.

Is there such a thing as an officer just becoming to afraid to do his job properly? They should be tested often for PTSD, and anxiety, because you need to have a level head for this job. If you are so afraid you are bullying the public like they did to this guy then you shouldn't be on the field working.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slate..._homeless.html
And what exactly did this guy do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdDuQtKhJv4

I think it only takes a few of these to scare people, and yes not all cops are bad but all cops need to start being a bit more understanding why the public has fears related to them. It's human nature to put your hands up to protect yourself and it seems that's enough to trigger an attack. That should be taught to them so they can handle these situations better. IMO.

Not all police officers are bad, but, not all people are bad either.

Last edited by PoppySead; 10-10-2014 at 07:41 AM..

Old 10-10-2014, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
Honest, I didn't know that. I have never had occasion to interact with the police and have no idea what would have been required under those circumstances.

Perhaps there should be a video to teach us all, from youth to the elderly (that's me) what is expected.
It seems he thought it was a friendlier exchange than it really was. He might have been reaching back trying to calm his kids down, it's the first thing I would do if I had kids upset in the back of the car as a parent.

Either way, even though it seems friendly at first, don't make the mistake of thinking you can act that way. Keep your hands up, say yes sir or mam, and do as told no matter what. You just can't take the chance.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:51 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
It seems he thought it was a friendlier exchange than it really was. He might have been reaching back trying to calm his kids down, it's the first thing I would do if I had kids upset in the back of the car as a parent.

Either way, even though it seems friendly at first, don't make the mistake of thinking you can act that way. Keep your hands up, say yes sir or mam, and do as told no matter what. You just can't take the chance.
They weren't his kids. Friendly? He was ARGUING with the cop.

The MOM was on the phone with 911 and had no concern for her kids because they weren't even UPSET they were VIDEOING.

I really do not think you would be REACHING IN THE BACK or anywhere if you were being asked for id.

And NO, this was not even POSSIBLY a FAKE COP since the first cop called for backup and they apparently showed up in cop cars.

Old 10-10-2014, 07:53 AM

13,586 posts, read 13,107,355 times
I'm usually the first to bash LEOs when they abuse power, but this guy really is a dipstick.

What did he think was going to happen? That they would just say " oh okay. Never mind." ?

Old 10-10-2014, 07:56 AM

10,599 posts, read 17,884,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
It's ridiculous that a passenger needs to show ID. It's also ridiculous that these people sat in the car and argued for 15 minutes. I couldn't even understand half of what they were saying. Next time just get out of the car.
Of course a passenger needs to show ID if they are getting ticketed.

Ticketing in NJ is also applicable in New Jersey.

If people DON'T approve of ticketing for no seat belts, they should be using their VOTING rights and not let these laws go into effect.

State of New Jersey

Old 10-10-2014, 07:59 AM

16,062 posts, read 26,732,889 times
Where is everyone seeing what happened before the guy was removed from the car? The video only shows the cop breaking the window and tasing the guy. How do we know what happened before?

Old 10-10-2014, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
They weren't his kids. Friendly? He was ARGUING with the cop.
Wouldn't you check on any kid upset in the back seat? The younger kid was upset, the 14yr old was filming and upset and scared. I thought he said they were his kids?
The MOM was on the phone with 911 and had no concern for her kids because they weren't even UPSET they were VIDEOING.

I really do not think you would be REACHING IN THE BACK or anywhere if you were being asked for id.
Why was the mom on the phone with 911?

This worries me, the police get a lot of respect and I understand that but I also understand the fear people have of them. I have a son with Tourettes syndrome and I hope his actions never get mistaken for disobeying an officer and he winds up getting hurt because of this. Not everyone understands to what extent they need to act in front of police, and not everyone can act accordingly and not all police act the same either. What if someone is ill, or can't present their hands? Or, like in my sons case, tic when nervous? Do they deserve to be abused?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Current Events